Help! I Adopted My Neighbors Cat!

Bingo&Kim

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So about a year ago I started taking notice in my neighbors cat, I fed him sometimes and when my boyfriend would come over we would hang outside with him and when it was cold we would cover him, my neighbors didn't care at all because they're irresponsible this is there 4th cat and all of them have died because they don't feed them or let them inside, the last one had a hole in his back from a fight! So I started getting close to Bingo, I bought him cat food and fed him morning and afternoon. Months go by I bring him inside, shower him, buy toys and collars and they know that. Bingos so called owners is a Mom, dad and a son. The dad and son said I can keep him and know I have him. The mom has seen me with him a lot outside ect and they've been caught by animal control by having a chain on they're dog in the alleyway and she couldn't even move more than 5 steps. I've seen bingo eat birds, have scars on his legs and thanks to me he's alive a lot longer than there past cats. Anyways today he was looking outside the window and she saw him, she started knocking on the window and the door and I thought she wanted to talk to one of family members as per usual but when I answered the door she said "Why do you have my cat inside" I stood in shock and all I could say is "I'm so sorry, do you want him out". She said I can have him in but to let him out sometimes. And I had to take him out and when she grabbed him his ears went back and he looked scared. I was so sad, I then hear an ugly cat meow :( I started to feel so down and realized I failed him, I should've said something to protect him and next thing I know he's outside sleeping under my car and she put a tag on him with her name and contact information. I don't know what to do but I brought him inside and he came running to me and know he's sleeping soundly after a tough day, so tough he didn't want to eat or play :(. I have to take him out in the morning but I'll bring him in the afternoon. I'm just so worried and I don't want any trouble. BTW I changed his tag to my name and number because he's basically my cat. What do I do?

kommunity kats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Consider that people like that won't likely respond the way you hope, or, expect. She might notice & 'respond' to your replacing of her name & address with yours . . . by retaliating & catching him & keeping him in her house all the time . . . or possibly giving him away or otherwise getting rid of him . . . just so you can't have access to him.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Write up a bill, a nice official invoice, detailing all the expenses you have incurred as a result of your taking care of "her" cat. Include a fee for the time you have spent also, whatever you think is a fair amount. And of course include all the food costs and especially vet bills if there have been any. Keep it handy at the ready and the next time she says it's her cat present her with the bill, after all it's her cat and she owes you for services rendered. Of course if she wants to surrender any claim on it then you can tell her the bill will go away, otherwise she needs to pay up or you will take it to small claims court. You don't need a lawyer to do that by the way, just a legitimate bill that someone is refusing to pay.
I live in Montana and there are what they call open range laws. If you find someones livestock, like a horse for instance, browsing through your hay you can ask for compensation for any damage done. Also if you keep the animal and feed it (which by law you have to do) while looking for and advertising for the owner they are supposed to pay you for the expense of taking care of their animal.
Given the choice between paying for the cats expenses and letting you keep it with out complaining she most likely will tell you to just keep it. Get her to write a note saying that on the bill and sign it and you then write "paid" on the bottom. Congratulations you just bought yourself a cat. You have a legal document proving it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bingo&Kim

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Consider that people like that won't likely respond the way you hope, or, expect. She might notice & 'respond' to your replacing of her name & address with yours . . . by retaliating & catching him & keeping him in her house all the time . . . or possibly giving him away or otherwise getting rid of him . . . just so you can't have access to him.
You're right, thank you so much

Bingo&Kim

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Write up a bill, a nice official invoice, detailing all the expenses you have incurred as a result of your taking care of "her" cat. Include a fee for the time you have spent also, whatever you think is a fair amount. And of course include all the food costs and especially vet bills if there have been any. Keep it handy at the ready and the next time she says it's her cat present her with the bill, after all it's her cat and she owes you for services rendered. Of course if she wants to surrender any claim on it then you can tell her the bill will go away, otherwise she needs to pay up or you will take it to small claims court. You don't need a lawyer to do that by the way, just a legitimate bill that someone is refusing to pay.
I live in Montana and there are what they call open range laws. If you find someones livestock, like a horse for instance, browsing through your hay you can ask for compensation for any damage done. Also if you keep the animal and feed it (which by law you have to do) while looking for and advertising for the owner they are supposed to pay you for the expense of taking care of their animal.
Given the choice between paying for the cats expenses and letting you keep it with out complaining she most likely will tell you to just keep it. Get her to write a note saying that on the bill and sign it and you then write "paid" on the bottom. Congratulations you just bought yourself a cat. You have a legal document proving it.

Bingo&Kim

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much!! So I just start writing all the food expenses ect on a paper?

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
You shouldn't get into it with the woman, she may take it out on the cat. I think telling her how much you spend is just going to insult her. If anything you should just point out how much you enjoy spending time with her cat. You could try slowly befriending her and gradually convince her to give you the cat. The other family members don't seem to care much about the cat and it doesn't seem like she does so it shouldn't take much. You should be careful to not insult the owner but instead complement the cat often to make it obvious you would love to have the cat.

Last edited:

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You can get official looking invoice forms at Walmart. They are used for all kinds of things. Handyman type people use them all the time. Even lawn services use them. Basically they itemize and invoice someone for all the expenses incurred in a job or contract.
Legally the owner of an animal is responsible for it's care. Those things are part of the humane treatment laws that were established a long time ago. Someone who doesn't care for their animals can go to jail if the offense is serious enough. Someone here just got in really big trouble this summer for not providing water for a group of horses fenced in on their land. We had weeks of over 100 degree weather and all the horses died from thirst from not being given water.
If your neighbor is claiming to own the cat then she is legally responsible to feed and care for it. If you take over that action because they are not doing it then you form what is called an implied contract. Either they need to reimburse you for your expenses or forfeit the animal as compensation. With almost all people things never get that far and helping to care for someones pet while they are not able to is just a neighborly thing to do, lets say they were in the hospital for a while, or even in jail. Most people would not ask for compensation for doing that, and anyway most owners will pay for the food even if not asked to. Those are "normal" people things to do. But if they are just being negligent and not caring for their animals there are things that can be done. One of those things is reporting them to authorities, which is a step that is necessary sometimes if things get bad. But an easier thing to do is what you have done, take over the responsibility and try to reason with them about what they need to do in terms of care. Leaving dogs and cats to "fend for themselves" is not an OK practice. They need to understand that. If they don't and you step in to help you have grounds for ultimately taking ownership of the animal. That is what you are needing to establish with keeping track of the expenses.
Keep in mind I am not a lawyer and laws are different for every state. But in general, ownership of an animal is established by taking care of them. This does not usually apply to livestock that has considerable value or wild game animals that are under the management of Fish and game departments. Not caring for your livestock or other animals can get them legally confiscated from you. Abandoning an animal, pets in particular, and not caring for them anymore indicates that you have terminated any claim of ownership of them.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't get into it with the woman, she may take it out on the cat. I think telling her how much you spend is just going to insult her. If anything you should just point out how much you enjoy spending time with her cat. I would try slowly befriending her and gradually convince her to give you the cat. The other family members don't seem to care much about the cat and it doesn't seem like she does so it shouldn't take much. I would be careful to not insult the owner but instead complement the cat often to make it obvious I would love to have the cat.
It is what "normal" people do. And it is always the best course of action. Problem is anymore there are a lot of not normal people around. Creating an evidence trail, like saving receipts, can be done just in case you need it.

Bingo&Kim

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:( Those poor cats :( At least Bingo has a chance! Do you have any pictures of the past kitties in bad shape?.Like the others said, documenting your costs can be very helpful. Cat-sharing is a common situation.
No sadly I don't have any pictures of there injuries but I do have old videos of him coming to my door :(

Bingo&Kim

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You can get official looking invoice forms at Walmart. They are used for all kinds of things. Handyman type people use them all the time. Even lawn services use them. Basically they itemize and invoice someone for all the expenses incurred in a job or contract.
Legally the owner of an animal is responsible for it's care. Those things are part of the humane treatment laws that were established a long time ago. Someone who doesn't care for their animals can go to jail if the offense is serious enough. Someone here just got in really big trouble this summer for not providing water for a group of horses fenced in on their land. We had weeks of over 100 degree weather and all the horses died from thirst from not being given water.
If your neighbor is claiming to own the cat then she is legally responsible to feed and care for it. If you take over that action because they are not doing it then you form what is called an implied contract. Either they need to reimburse you for your expenses or forfeit the animal as compensation. With almost all people things never get that far and helping to care for someones pet while they are not able to is just a neighborly thing to do, lets say they were in the hospital for a while, or even in jail. Most people would not ask for compensation for doing that, and anyway most owners will pay for the food even if not asked to. Those are "normal" people things to do. But if they are just being negligent and not caring for their animals there are things that can be done. One of those things is reporting them to authorities, which is a step that is necessary sometimes if things get bad. But an easier thing to do is what you have done, take over the responsibility and try to reason with them about what they need to do in terms of care. Leaving dogs and cats to "fend for themselves" is not an OK practice. They need to understand that. If they don't and you step in to help you have grounds for ultimately taking ownership of the animal. That is what you are needing to establish with keeping track of the expenses.
Keep in mind I am not a lawyer and laws are different for every state. But in general, ownership of an animal is established by taking care of them. This does not usually apply to livestock that has considerable value or wild game animals that are under the management of Fish and game departments. Not caring for your livestock or other animals can get them legally confiscated from you. Abandoning an animal, pets in particular, and not caring for them anymore indicates that you have terminated any claim of ownership of them.
Thank you again! I'll get those forms soon, for now I'll write them down.

kommunity kats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Keep receipts together with the list of your expenses. If you don't have receipts for past expenses, estimate what you have payed for in food, vet, housing, etc. for the cat, back then until now.

kommunity kats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've made a few quotes from a site you may find helpful, which go along with what 'Vyger' has said . . .

1. Designations of Found Property As Abandoned, Mislaid or Lost

"Common law rules control the outcome of legal disputes between original owners and finders unless abrogated by statute. Under common law, property is designated abandoned, mislaid or lost. The original owner loses all property rights in abandoned property. Whether property is abandoned depends on the original owner’s intent at the time he or she lost control over the property. [FN6]. . . .

2. Bailment Created Upon Taking Lost Pet

"When a person finds and takes lost property, an implied bailment is created under common law. [FN8] A bailment is a contractual agreement between the owner of the pet and its finder that the finder owes a duty to take reasonable care of the pet and return it to its true owner. [FN9] In turn, the owner of the lost pet must pay the finder compensation for caring for the pet before she has a right to recover possession of the pet. [FN10] As a general rule, a finder who takes care of lost property is a “gratuitous bailee” liable for breach of bailment only by committing an intentional tort or an act of gross negligence. [FN11] . . ."

Detailed Discussion of Legal Rights and Duties in Lost Pet Disputes | Animal Legal & Historical Center

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
It is what "normal" people do. And it is always the best course of action. Problem is anymore there are a lot of not normal people around. Creating an evidence trail, like saving receipts, can be done just in case you need it.
Where I live "normal" people don't confront and possibly humiliate someone they are trying to get something from. That doesn't work out well where I live, sorry it just does not. You seem to think that I relate to the woman, you are so far off base.

My cats are not allowed to roam the streets I treat them like kids.

These are my cats.

Carpet covered window perch.

At the cottage.

Bingo&Kim

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So about a year ago I started taking notice in my neighbors cat, I fed him sometimes and when my boyfriend would come over we would hang outside with him and when it was cold we would cover him, my neighbors didn't care at all because they're irresponsible this is there 4th cat and all of them have died because they don't feed them or let them inside, the last one had a hole in his back from a fight! So I started getting close to Bingo, I bought him cat food and fed him morning and afternoon. Months go by I bring him inside, shower him, buy toys and collars and they know that. Bingos so called owners is a Mom, dad and a son. The dad and son said I can keep him and know I have him. The mom has seen me with him a lot outside ect and they've been caught by animal control by having a chain on they're dog in the alleyway and she couldn't even move more than 5 steps. I've seen bingo eat birds, have scars on his legs and thanks to me he's alive a lot longer than there past cats. Anyways today he was looking outside the window and she saw him, she started knocking on the window and the door and I thought she wanted to talk to one of family members as per usual but when I answered the door she said "Why do you have my cat inside" I stood in shock and all I could say is "I'm so sorry, do you want him out". She said I can have him in but to let him out sometimes. And I had to take him out and when she grabbed him his ears went back and he looked scared. I was so sad, I then hear an ugly cat meow :( I started to feel so down and realized I failed him, I should've said something to protect him and next thing I know he's outside sleeping under my car and she put a tag on him with her name and contact information. I don't know what to do but I brought him inside and he came running to me and know he's sleeping soundly after a tough day, so tough he didn't want to eat or play :(. I have to take him out in the morning but I'll bring him in the afternoon. I'm just so worried and I don't want any trouble. BTW I changed his tag to my name and number because he's basically my cat. What do I do?
Guys things got worst! She confronted one of my family members earlier today saying that it's not okay for him to stuck inside all day, and that we're lying to her ect, my hands are tied and my family doesn't want problems and are telling me to take him out and bring back at night and to just buy my own cat, but he's part of my family. My mom gets happy to see him and also my siblings, we all take care of him and I'm just so sad and distraught because bingo doesn't deserve to be outside. I have to let him out in the morning and I'll bring him at night but this still hurts me and I can't imagine how bingo feels :( I want to call animal control on them but I'm scared. Snapchat-683015432.jpg Snapchat-310389956.jpg

Attachments

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: I am so sorry that this has become such an issue. My mom is like your folks - "Don't make waves!" :sigh: For now, since emotions are high, I would just step back and focus on Bingo; you can use this time for planning & strategy.
At least you are being allowed to bring Bingo in at night. I think that if he had his druthers, he would choose sleeping with you and being outside in the day over being inside all day and put out at night. Maybe your siblings can create some sort of play fort that Bingo can use for a daytime shelter. The neighbor lady can't prevent that & if done discreetly, probably won't realize the true intention.
These pet disputes are very similar to child custody disputes. Sadly, the focus for some of the parties becomes about power and control, not the well-being of the one being fought over. From my own personal matters as well as working 10 years for a general practice attorney, I have learned that it is best to "choose your battles" and be flexible. Some people will see that as "being to soft", "rolling over & playing dead", "letting THEM win", etc., but in reality, it takes maturity, wisdom, strength, confidence and self-control. Here at TCS, you have a great advantage: you will have access to people with good hearts, a willingness to listen & excellent advice to give. :grouphug2::heartshape::cheerleader:

Bingo&Kim

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
update, today the so called owner talked to one of my family members earlier and she was being rude calling us a liar, and that it's bad to have him here stuck suffocated in a house ect and I feel so hopeless and so bad for poor bingo, my family doesn't want problems with her so I have to take him out all day and get him at night which is better than nothing but today he was out for a few hours just to ease the problems and he was meowing at my window :( I'm not ready to hear his cries all day tomorrow and I know he's going to feel sad just like he did when they threw him out. He's more my cat than hers and he's part of my family, my mom a bonded siblings get so happy to see him, he gets excited when he hears us or sees us after some time of him sleeping and this just hurts so much but I don't want to start an
:alright: I am so sorry that this has become such an issue. My mom is like your folks - "Don't make waves!" :sigh: For now, since emotions are high, I would just step back and focus on Bingo; you can use this time for planning & strategy.
At least you are being allowed to bring Bingo in at night. I think that if he had his druthers, he would choose sleeping with you and being outside in the day over being inside all day and put out at night. Maybe your siblings can create some sort of play fort that Bingo can use for a daytime shelter. The neighbor lady can't prevent that & if done discreetly, probably won't realize the true intention.
These pet disputes are very similar to child custody disputes. Sadly, the focus for some of the parties becomes about power and control, not the well-being of the one being fought over. From my own personal matters as well as working 10 years for a general practice attorney, I have learned that it is best to "choose your battles" and be flexible. Some people will see that as "being to soft", "rolling over & playing dead", "letting THEM win", etc., but in reality, it takes maturity, wisdom, strength, confidence and self-control. Here at TCS, you have a great advantage: you will have access to people with good hearts, a willingness to listen & excellent advice to give. :grouphug2::heartshape::cheerleader:
Thank you so much, this really helps.

Bingo&Kim

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've made a few quotes from a site you may find helpful, which go along with what 'Vyger' has said . . .

1. Designations of Found Property As Abandoned, Mislaid or Lost

"Common law rules control the outcome of legal disputes between original owners and finders unless abrogated by statute. Under common law, property is designated abandoned, mislaid or lost. The original owner loses all property rights in abandoned property. Whether property is abandoned depends on the original owner’s intent at the time he or she lost control over the property. [FN6]. . . .

2. Bailment Created Upon Taking Lost Pet

"When a person finds and takes lost property, an implied bailment is created under common law. [FN8] A bailment is a contractual agreement between the owner of the pet and its finder that the finder owes a duty to take reasonable care of the pet and return it to its true owner. [FN9] In turn, the owner of the lost pet must pay the finder compensation for caring for the pet before she has a right to recover possession of the pet. [FN10] As a general rule, a finder who takes care of lost property is a “gratuitous bailee” liable for breach of bailment only by committing an intentional tort or an act of gross negligence. [FN11] . . ."

Detailed Discussion of Legal Rights and Duties in Lost Pet Disputes | Animal Legal & Historical Center
This is really useful right now, thank you so much.

BlueJay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Go ahead and make lists save receipts etc., but I doubt it will make much difference. They didn't ask you to do those things. You didn't advertise that you found a cat. You knew it was theirs and cared for it without discussing the matter with them. It wouldn't surprise me if the woman claimed they provided food and that they would have provided vet care. She might accuse you of feeding it simply to lure it over and steal it. I'm not saying you did anything wrong, it sounds like they weren't really caring for it, but just be prepared for alternate arguments. I would try to talk to her husband when she's gone, since he doesn't seem to mind if you have it. Would he be willing to sign something saying they gave it to you? It sounds like you're going to have to figure out with this woman at some point whether the cat is yours or hers, at least If you want to be able to bring it inside when you like. If she claims it as hers and takes it, then at that point you could call animal control and go from there. Good luck! I hope it works out for this little guy! :vibes: