Help...i Adopted A Kitten And My Cat Is Not Happy. How Long Should This Take?

berfrankie1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My older cat is not accepting the kitten I brought home. I am keeping them separate. Kitty most of the time in her playpen. My cat is not happy and hisses and growls at her. It has been a day. How long will this process take. I hate seeing my older cat so upset. :(

Oscar&Copper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh... It can take weeks, and from what I've read sometimes months. Try scent exchange, and rewarding good behaviour with treats.

There are some good articles out there on how to do it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

berfrankie1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh... It can take weeks, and from what I've read sometimes months. Try scent exchange, and rewarding good behaviour with treats.

Thank you!
Here's an article that explains how to introduce cats: How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Here's an article that explains how to introduce cats: How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

Thank you!

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Follow some or all of the articles about introducing a cat to a "resident" cat. Take it all with a grain of salt: All of this takes place on cat-time, not on some human's suggested schedule. I must have read dozens of articles on new cats and kittens when we got our guys.

When we got our first cat, the shelter said to keep him in a safe room for a month. After 2 days we let him out at night and kept him locked up during the day and then after a week he had full range of the house. Mind you, we had repeatedly to make the house cat safe as he kept finding more mischief.

When we introduced the second cat, some steps were slower than predicted, some faster and some we rushed a bit. But we kept an eye on them to make sure there were no major set backs.

Once the ice breaks between them, things will happen quicker and quicker.

berfrankie1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Follow some or all of the articles about introducing a cat to a "resident" cat. Take it all with a grain of salt: All of this takes place on cat-time, not on some human's suggested schedule. I must have read dozens of articles on new cats and kittens when we got our guys.

When we got our first cat, the shelter said to keep him in a safe room for a month. After 2 days we let him out at night and kept him locked up during the day and then after a week he had full range of the house. Mind you, we had repeatedly to make the house cat safe as he kept finding more mischief.

When we introduced the second cat, some steps were slower than predicted, some faster and some we rushed a bit. But we kept an eye on them to make sure there were no major set backs.

Once the ice breaks between them, things will happen quicker and quicker.

berfrankie1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for that. I just feel so bad for my older cat. I know it will take time but she is quite unhappy right now. :(

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for that. I just feel so bad for my older cat. I know it will take time but she is quite unhappy right now. :(
Done right, the cats should end up peacefully coexisting. They may never be BFF's, but they should tolerate each other.