Help! Hurt at the groomer!

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think the fact that the groomer "didn't notice" is, to put it mildly, telling.  The cat must've screamed horribly.   Then she chose avoiding the fear and embarassment of telling someone, versus potentially letting the cat suffer (at best) and die from an infection if you hadn't noticed it (at worst).  In my book that's not just an ethical lapse, it's an indication that she's unfit - as an employee, certainly as a groomer. 

You know, social media is a powerful thing and I would use it.  Post some online reviews about the experience.   Use the information posted above about how knowledgeable groomers make decisions and contrast that with what happened with this one.  You may teach the vet something in the process, including the idea that this woman needs to be terminated because she's a risk to both the practice's reputation and it's bottom line. 

That may sound harsh - and it would be - if she had admitted the mistake.  But she didn't, she injured the animal, failed to act and then went on with her day.   If it were me I would be eternally grateful to anyone who warned me away.  How else would anyone know?

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
With all do respect Fera, the grooming profession is like any other with small percentages of exceptional and grossly incompetent practitioners.  And I also bet the grossly incompetent last quite awhile.  It's extremely difficult emotionally, not to mention expensive, to fire someone in a small business.

And you don't have to intentionally agress against anyone to harm them, you just have to think of yourself.  In fact, I would argue that most of the pain in the world is caused by just that.

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will vouch for all groomers and say that we feel utterly guilt ridden when this happens and it is NEVER done intentionally.
With all do respect Fera, the grooming profession is like any other with small percentages of exceptional and grossly incompetent practitioners.  And I also bet the grossly incompetent last quite awhile.  It's extremely difficult emotionally, not to mention expensive, to fire someone in a small business.

And you don't have to intentionally agress against anyone to harm them, you just have to think of yourself.  In fact, I would argue that most of the pain in the world is caused by just that.
Change of wording to read: I will vouch for MOST groomers. Since you felt the need to quote and analyze my statement I made the wording change. Most groomers would not be so callous, cold hearted and careless. Most groomers would feel extremely heartsick and guilt ridden about causing such an awful gash. If you read my later posts and after I enlarged the second photo and took an extreme close-up of the wound you would know how I changed my opinion and view on the issue of Bab being cut and this particular groomer's utter carelessness.

I am completely disgusted with this groomer. She has not reached out to the OP, profusely apologizing and owning up to the fact that she is responsible and should be the one paying the bills for all of Bab's medical.

It goes without saying and well known that in some professions and in life, in general, there are a percentage of rotten eggs. This groomer is one example and I certainly hope the vet in charge sees to her termination since she doesn't seem to care even when she saw the OP at the front reception desk the other day and not a word. Terrible person, IMO.

Last edited:

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Fela, no big hidden agenda on my part as far as making a point by quoting your post and no need to correct.  Just trying to Kiwischan that here intuition was correct and that there should be no divided loyalty in terms of trying to balance the feelings of the groomer versus advocating for her cat.   If grooming were a licensed profession, which it should be, we don't let human groomers (oh how my hairdresser would love that term!) work without one, this would be a reportable offense.

I do owe you an apology though - I was reading from the bottom up on the second page and I got as far as trooper - who I have a bit of a kitten crush on - and I was off to PM his mom about his injury so I missed your follow-up comments.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fela,

I do owe you an apology though - I was reading from the bottom up on the second page and I got as far as trooper - who I have a bit of a kitten crush on - and I was off to PM his mom about his injury so I missed your follow-up comments.
No worries! Thanks. ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kiwischan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just an FYI I've been reading everyone's posts! I saw Trooper's pics and it just.. Omg poor baby :(
I will update you all once I get home, but things are looking good. She got her cone off by herself today, but the wound is looking mostly healed so I'm not too worried at this point.

I've also reached out on Yelp, Facebook AND Twitter about this groomer.. Not being mean or nasty, but just stating the facts: she hurt my cat, didn't tell me, never called to follow up even though she's watched me go in and out of the office several times.
I will be forever greatful to my vets for taking care of her free of charge, but I definitely can't let this "groomer" slide.

Here's to hoping I hear something from her... Maybe.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
the wound is looking mostly healed so I'm not too worried at this point.

I will be forever greatful to my vets for taking care of her free of charge, but I definitely can't let this "groomer" slide.

Here's to hoping I hear something from her... Maybe.
YAY - very happy to hear that Bab's wound is healing. :clap2: Appreciate the update too as we like happy news.

Nope - can't let this one get swept under the carpet and I hope that this groomer will have some regret/remorse and come to you, write to you, something, anything to apologize for her mistakes, including ignoring you in the front office multiple times but I am not betting on her doing so though it is never too late to come forward. It would be the right thing to do.

:vibes: :vibes: for continued healing !!!!!!!!!!!!

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I doubt you will be able to get the groomer will say anything, unfortunately, as it could be looked at as a liability from a legal and insurance standpoint.  And I doubt the vet will pressure the groomer to do so, as she is an employee, which could backfire not just against the individual, but the business as well. 

This is the world we live in, where people who might want to express remorse won't because of fear of legal repercussions.  The closest you might get, after reparations have been made, is a "I'm glad kitty is feeling better" type of thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kiwischan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i know this thread is old, but i wanted to update as i have a little bit of news:

after reading my reviews online, the person in charge at my vet's office terminated the groomer who hurt Babby and offered me a free groom under their new groomer. i declined (i've found someone who does ONLY kitties), but thanked them and told them i love my vet and didn't plan to leave. 

there's still a small scar left from the incident but thankfully it didn't turn into an abscess or get worse :)

thank you to everyone who helped--it was a very scary thing for me and my Bab and you all helped tremendously! 

sydneyet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My oldest cat recently ripped out one of his claws and was bleeding like crazy. We brought him to the vet, where they gave us some ointment. The ointment made my cat lick the wound and open it again, so we just let the wound heal over time.

franciscan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Poor thing! I am so happy the vet is doing the right thing by reprimanding the groomer. Did the vet do the treatment for free?

~donna