Help! How Do I Stop Neighborhood Cat From Peeing On My Door!

yeswolf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I live in a big city, in a small one bedroom apartment. I have three cats -- one girl and two boys. They never ever go outside for safety reasons and they are very content creatures.

My problem is a neighborhood cat that continually pees on the front and back doors of the apartments in my building. I am the manager and I know that the cat in question is peeing on lots of different doors on a fairly regular basis. I also know he/she does NOT live in my building. There is a big outdoor cat who does live in this building and I am positive it is NOT him.

I have tried to get rid of this peeing crazy cat with Feliway but it keeps coming back. I've never caught him/her in the act but it's going on for months now and it's driving me crazy. I am sick of cleaning the doors!

Part of the problem is, I don't want to spray my doors with anything that will offend my own cats.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Please email me directly if you think you know how to get this neighborhood cat to go away and stay away.

Thanks.

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds as if this must be an unneutered male who is marking your door. You might think about trapping him and having him neutered. Once neutered, this behavior is less likely to continue.

You might also try making the area in front of your door unattractive to cats by putting a large piece of cardboard on the ground in front of the door, then cover the cardboard with self-adhesive shelf liner with the sticky side up. Cats hate to walk on sticky stuff, so the cat will not be able to get close enough to your door to mark it without stepping on the sticky stuff!

maherwoman

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You might try spraying white vinegar on it. I've heard that it discourages spraying. Now, granted, I've not had first-hand experience using it...but I did have a friend that's had as many cats as I say that it's a great thing to use for such a thing. Not only would he be discouraged from wanting to pause there to "do his biz", but it'll also mask the scent(s) he's already left there.

Sounds to me like someone has a female around there that isn't spayed, and he's responding to it.

Hope that helps!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yeswolf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
... and yes, my cats are spayed and neutered. They hang out at the doors some but they are VERY clean creatures and I've never known of them to spray or pee or anything else anywhere other than the litter boxes.

YESWOLF

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe put something really citrusy-smelling near your door too. Cats don`t like that either.
Linda

mrod1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If the cat is a stray, I would call Animal control and get some traps. If possible, see if you have a no kill shelter in your area and see if they can catch him. Either way, your best bet is to catch him, make sure he doesn't belong to anyone, have him fixed and adopted. If he does belong to someone, bring up the problem and issues with the owner.

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The fact that this cat sprays is not necessarily evidence that it is not desexed! (I have a visiting cat that is neutered and he still sprays)

I would recommend, as others have said, lay the area with citrusy things! Get the peel from oranges, lemons, limes etc and place them around the area, this should detract the cat from spraying there!

There is also a plant that you can buy (Scaredy Cat, that when dried will stink and deter the cats) I have one, but have never dried it! The fresh plant has not deflected the cats in the least....but I can confirm that it does stink!!

I hope you'll be able to find a solution to this problem!

Also, I hope you'll stick around, maybe you should introduce yourself and your three babies in the 'New Cats On The Block' thread!