Help! Girlfriend Allergic to Cats!

Status
Not open for further replies.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by dmac68

Let me pose an open question to the group: Short of tying them up and throwing them into the river, it seems to me that giving away one's animals is the most extreme action that a pet owner can take. Why would you--or anyone else for that matter--assume that we would start with the most extreme action before trying other remedies first?

Anyone?
You have no idea how many people just dump them. The cat that dies here - they did nothing. Nothing. They dumped her in the garage & called us. Left her sit in dire need of medical attention for 10 months - didn't matter to them.

We have another cat - 7 y/o - baby suddenly developed allergies. The same day the Dr. told them the baby had allergies, they were at the vet's office to kill her. Thank god someone cared enough to talk them out of it. They obviously didn't try anything.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Nothing on the face of this earth could make me give up my cats - I would divorce an allergic husband if he could not/would not live with my cats.
I second that! My boyfriend knows how much i love my cat and he would definitely never have me get rid of him, no matter what.If he can't live with Jake, he'd move to another place where there is space for Jake to be isolated and not cause allergy problems...He knows I love my cat no less than I love him and is okay with that....But that's so biased, I know most people don't feel that way about their cats beyond TCS...

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can go to petfinder.org, put in your zip code on the left and it will list rescue groups in your area and the options on how to contact them. I would go through them before I would take them to a shelter. Some only have email contact and some have phone #'s.

Be aware that right now, the homeless pet situation is probably one of the worst its ever been or worst, in a long time. People all over the country have lost jobs and homes and abandoned their pets. Shelters, rescue groups and foster homes are overloaded with animals that they are trying to help.

Also be aware that there are some bad people who look for "free pets' advertised to use for bad things such as dog fights.

If you try to place them yourself, ask for vet references and an adoption fee. People who are genuine about taking them, understand why there is a fee.
If you place them yourself, by running an ad, try to place them together, so it will make the transition easier on them.

A lot of us have rescued cats and dogs and have possibly come from someone who had to give them up for allergies, so its possible for them to find a good home, just make sure you are proactive in making sure they go to a good, safe and loving home.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

You can go to petfinder.org, put in your zip code on the left and it will list rescue groups in your area and the options on how to contact them. I would go through them before I would take them to a shelter. Some only have email contact and some have phone #'s.

Be aware that right now, the homeless pet situation is probably one of the worst its ever been or worst, in a long time. People all over the country have lost jobs and homes and abandoned their pets. Shelters, rescue groups and foster homes are overloaded with animals that they are trying to help.

Also be aware that there are some bad people who look for "free pets' advertised to use for bad things such as dog fights.

If you try to place them yourself, ask for vet references and an adoption fee. People who are genuine about taking them, understand why there is a fee.
If you place them yourself, by running an ad, try to place them together, so it will make the transition easier on them.

A lot of us have rescued cats and dogs and have possibly come from someone who had to give them up for allergies, so its possible for them to find a good home, just make sure you are proactive in making sure they go to a good, safe and loving home.
Good advice.

I am sorry that you are feeling 'attacked' here -- at least that is the tone I am getting from your posts. You are asking a bunch of AVID cat lovers about giving up something that they see as irreplaceable treasures.

That said, it sounds as though you have gone the extra mile to resolve the cat allergy issue and I applaud you for that. Some people just use it as an excuse b/c they are just tired of looking after the animal.

Cat allergies are among some of the worst - just ask any allergist. I know my brother is VIOLENTLY allergic to cats - he just cannot be around them.

(and to be specific - the allergen is a protein in the cat's saliva and pee, and can also come through the skin.)

If you feel as a last resort that you just cannot keep the cats, Pami's suggestions are sound ones... as are Natalie's and others. TRY local no-kill rescues. I also volunteer with one here in Michigan, which is foster based. Rescues and shelters here are bulging at the seams with surrendered, dumped and abandoned animals. And as Natalie said, kitten season is approaching, which makes it that much more difficult to place adults.

If you do this yourself, be picky about where the cats go; Placing them may take a while. Older,(adult) paired cats are among the toughest placements to make. I wish I knew someone in the Metro NYC area who could take them, but unfortunately, I don't.

As for trying to make the environment as allergy free as possible, sounds like you have tried just about everything. Shampoo the carpets, bathe the cats (Oh they would just love that -not), dust and vacuum religiously, use an air cleaner, including a good one on the furnace if you have a separate one that heats your apt. You could also get a second opinion from another allergist about course of treatment.

I am also mildly allergic - when I go do my volunteer work, I have to take zyrtec, put cortisone spray up my nose and patanol or pataday in my eyes.

katmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
dmac68, i know what cat allergies can do. my mother is extremely allergic to cats. her eyes swell shut, lips turn inside out, throat closes up. and the same as with your gf my moms steadily got worse. she has to carry an epi-pen to give herself a shot just in case she comes in contact with a cat and cant make it to the hospital in time, along with a multitude of other things...

so i had to give away a cat once for that reason, so i know where you are coming from. your gf, imo, is acutally pretty amazing to even try to live with the cats, my mom wouldn't. but i cant blame her, her life is more important than the cats. who btw went on to live a very nice life at the local vets office. they kept her as one of the many office pets. hope everything works out for the best!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I realize allergies are problematic but your boyfriend and yourself are on a CAT WELFARE site and a FAMILY one at that . Truthfully from both of your responses it may be best for your boyfriend to re home these cats for the cats welfare ..... I am moderately allergic to cats , I have five . I take necessary precautions : like distilled water wiping( commercial wipes are available also ) , air purifiers and more than average housekeeping .... Oh and ER meds always at hand .

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
due to the passionate nature of this topic and the fact that is has rapidly gone downhill, the thread will be locked.

I ask that in the future everyone please keep in mind that everyone's situation is different and as the old saying goes, Judge not, lest ye be judged. We are here to help cats and their families, not drive them away.

Any help you can offer the OP for re-homing his cats, which was the intention of this thread, can be directed to him.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.