Help. Found my nursing cat mated.

ntrchad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Nursing and still in heat in the last 3 days.
Escaped from house and found her mated with another cat.
Should I seperate her with it's 2 month old kittens?
Will she get pregnant?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's very common. Female cats will come into heat again soon after giving birth and will be pregnant again by the time their first litter is weaned.

You can take her to a vet now and get her spayed. It's early days, so the spay won't be any more difficult than a regular spay surgery would be. Are her kittens on solid food now? The main risk to the kittens is that she might have picked up fleas or some disease while she was mating.

You can ask your vet to do a blood test for FeLV and FIV, the two most deadly diseases she might have picked up, and ask about getting her vaccinated.

The kittens will be ready for their first vaccines too, so make sure you ask the vet when they can do them.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Nursing and still in heat in the last 3 days.
Escaped from house and found her mated with another cat.
Should I seperate her with it's 2 month old kittens?
Will she get pregnant?
Too late to close the stable door, when the horse har run away. As the proverb says.
The deed is done, and she will prob get preg anew.... Cats, unlike humans, arent protected by nursing.

The best you can do, is to spay her now, before there any signs of the new pregnancy... Just wait till you are sure the heat is over.

The kittens are 8 weeks, its anyway high time for spaying....
Ps. Many moms are able to still nurse after spaying if you wish she continues to nurse. , but the vets usually dont take the risk and spay them first when they are 8 weeks and weaned

Last edited: