HELP ! fostering feral mum and week old babies !

catwomen15

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am currently fostering a feral mum that was trapped by a rescue group and 10 days ago had a litter of 5.. she has been with me 3 days.. she tolerated pats.. but was very scared.. she is in a large crate.. i have given her space and think i have done the right thing by her.. i sit back and watch and talk.. she has a room all to her self.. her crate is kept clean and fresh food n water and litter everyday.. today she has started hissing and spitting... am i getting too close  or touching  too much ??? 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I hope when you look, you dont look directly at her. Staring in the eyes is hostile in the ferale cats world. Home cats learn look in the eyes still being friendly.  Look a little aside, not in the eyes.

Why she hisses although she tolerated before?  One reason she toleraded because she was afraid, yet knew you were her only practical chance for her babies. Thus, she did copy with the situation and endured.  NOW she knows you are OK, and thus, NOW she does dare to protest a little.   :)

It is quite peculiar to notice, even ferale moms do allow humans to help them and their kittens...

So it is often easier to have a ferale mom with her kittens, then this female cat herself alone.

Another possibility are hormone surges. So for example, she may get into heat soon.

Are there any other possible stressing moments?  Sounds, smells?

You can try with setting up relaxing soft music. Classical harp music is best, but almost any will do.

There is a sticky tread about this, look above in this forum.

A Feliway diffuser may be useful. NOT necessary, but can help.

Welcome to our Forums!

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catwomen15

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ohhh thankyou for your advice.. alas i have been looking at her directly... not a staring contest but u know !!! eek .. and possibly have been some lod noises .. my kids !!!! altho being warned !!!.. i will try the music .. and not looking directly at her...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Also, when you handle her kittens, say for weighting them, or move around because you need to change the sheets, do it so she sees you and the kitten. So she doesnt get anxious.And make the moments short.So she is looking and following, carefully but short...Good luck! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catwomen15

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
mumma cat and her babies r in a large crate and also in a pet pillow.. so extra comfy n warm and together... i dont try to handle the kittens often.. having said that i dont want feral kittens .. so need to handle more.. mums googly eyes follow my every move !!  she scary cat !!! hahahaha  mayb i got to comfy with her today.. as i said b4 she was happy  / well tolerated pats on head.. and i would stroke her paw.. she was happy no aggression.. so from today to late afo something happened to tick her off,.. and i can't think what..