Help- former semi-feral kitten getting shyer

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was hoping some of you all could offer some advice for my wee little kitten Suzie. Some background: In late September/October she was found living outside in the bushes at my co-workers condo with her brother, Cookie. They were fed by the neighborhood, and after 2-3 weeks caught by her and brought to my house. I just found out that at one point, they were chased by a dog. They came to my house, and lived in my computer room for about a month or so. They were about 13 weeks old. Cookie was always more outgoing, and Suzie was skittish. They get along well with the 2 older cats. By the time they were given free reign of the house, she would tolerrate some pets, had stopped hissing when approached by us, and would even purr when pet, and would let you pet her when she was eating. A few weeks ago she even jumped on my bed and cuddled with Rocky, her favorite boy cat.
For the last month, she has become even less sociable. She spends most of her time in the basement. I don't blame her that much b/c its warm down there. She runs when approached by humans, and hid under the dresser last night and hissed at me. When the other cats are playing, or being sociable with us humans, she hangs on the outskirts, but will run if threatened. I can't even talk her into playing with the teaser. She will chase the laser pointer if it's far enough away. She will even run away from her dinner dish when I clear out the old plates from the other cats. The dinner location has changed to where the other cats eat. She has started mewing sometimes at the other cats.. I almost think she might be having a heat, but haven't seen any posturing. She is getting spayed next week. Does anyone think that this will help with her human friendliness? Is she intimidated living with 3 male cats? She is also very tiny compared to her brother. No other behaviour problems, she eats well, is healthy, eliminates appropriately, etc.

meowsersmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've never had a female cat, but there are quite a few threads on here where members have said their females have gotten much more affectionate after their spays. I have a friend whose cat would throw herself at windows (and crack them) before her spay. I think it should probably help, but you never know, she may just be a "loner".

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*Sigh* Here is an example of her behavior. I'm in the computer room surfing away. Rocky is snuggled on top of a cat condo, napping. She comes in the door way, and meows several times. Rocky ignores her. I say hi Suzie. She stays. I sit on the floor, and she sorta flinches. I move about 2 inches, and she's off, and runs down the stairs, but only halfway. I jingle a toy, and her interest is peeked breefly, but she doesn't move. I go back inthe computer room.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Callie is like that, and I've had her for 7 years! Just be loving and patient, reassure her and give her lots of attention when she's near you. Also, you might want to take her to the vet to rule out anything medically. If you don't use Comfort Zone (Feliway), you might try that to reduce the stress.

Stephanie

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have some room spray feliway I bought when we moved last summer for my resident cats. Any ideas where I should spray it? I have a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house with a huge finished basement. The vet will check her out Monday before she does the spay. I thought she might have been coughing earlier today, but she seems fine now. DH helped me catch her, and I listened carefully to her chest for weezing, her nose and eyes seem clear. When you hold her she is anxious to go, but then relaxes and seems to enjoy some stroking. She never tries to bite or scratch. All of my cats are on 500 mg lysine a day, depending on how much wet they eat. This is b/c Rocky has chronic herpes and I was worried he might spread it to the young uns. This was at my vets instruction. Also Zakk had a slight URI a few months ago. Her mewing seems to have slowed today.. maybe it was her first heat. I have never owned a female cat before or lived with one, so this is kind of new to me.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, she is certainly just about old enough to go into heat. The spay is the best thing to do right now. Then I would work diligently on taming her as she recovers. You will probably keep her in a room separate from the boys as she heals. That is a good time to pet her when she is fed, and try to engage her with the toys.

Cats HATE to be chased, so try to entice her to come to you. For example, at meal time, call her and fill the bowl of food, then sit right next to it. Or even put the food bowl on your lap, so she has to approach you and step on you when she eats. Then as she eats, and you pet her, it is all positive reinforcement.

Same with play, don't follow her with the toy, walk away as you drag a shoelace. Sometimes, she will follow you, and then play. That is reinforcing her moving towards you. Use a toy on a string to go "catting" instead of "fishing". You throw the toy out, and reel it in, hoping to have a kitty follow. And kitties love to play with a toy they cannot see...like reaching down a mousehole for a mousie. So if she acts bored with your play, get something like a feather dancer, and let her see it, then hide it behind a table leg, or potted plant. As she looks, the toy peeks out, then hides again. Gets them every time.

You definitely have to go at her pace. Don't take a terrified animal and expect it to eat sitting on your lap. But if she is fairly tame, I'll bet she will do it. If not, set the food as near as she will come. The idea is that she is coming to you, not that you are pursuing her like a predator.

Also, cats take it as a threat when you stare in their eyes. Do not stare! You can look at the eyes and slowly blink. That is a sign of affection.

Good luck with Suzie!

P.S. Just pick a room for the feliway. Spray a favorite chair, or near where you sit on the computer. Make an area, a corner of a room, just someplace that is filled with feliway scent.

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice Beckiboo! Last night after we turned the light out she jumped up on the bed with Rocky! We could feel her weight on her legs, but didn't dare touch her. I have been trying to sit near her food when she eats the last few days- I used to to eat breakfast with the kittens when we first got them. She will eventually come and eat when she realizes I'm not going anywhere. I gave her a few pets this morning and she didn't run.
We played catting this evening- it's hard b/c her brother is so much more assertive and wants to play too. Whenever the toy got near her she caught it and played with it, but if it was left alone too long her brother Cookie was all over it! She pays close attention to what we are doing though, and watches from the corner. Maybe if I can separate them for a few days after the spay we will make more progress. I haven't found my feliway yet, but will try to spray the computer room down this weekend.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zak&rocky

Thanks for the advice Beckiboo! Last night after we turned the light out she jumped up on the bed with Rocky! We could feel her weight on her legs, but didn't dare touch her. I have been trying to sit near her food when she eats the last few days- I used to to eat breakfast with the kittens when we first got them. She will eventually come and eat when she realizes I'm not going anywhere. I gave her a few pets this morning and she didn't run.
We played catting this evening- it's hard b/c her brother is so much more assertive and wants to play too. Whenever the toy got near her she caught it and played with it, but if it was left alone too long her brother Cookie was all over it! She pays close attention to what we are doing though, and watches from the corner. Maybe if I can separate them for a few days after the spay we will make more progress. I haven't found my feliway yet, but will try to spray the computer room down this weekend.
I know it seems like he is interfering, but she is watching him. The role modeling behavior is good. As she sees him play with you, that lets her know that Rocky thinks you are safe.

Tonight, my former feral girl Jasmine (aka Red), who is about 3 months old, was sitting in the kitchen. I tried to pet her, and she scooted away. Then my kitty Festus came up to me, and let me pet her. Jasmine came up next to Festus, and allowed me to pet her, too.

Sounds like you have made real progress. Sometimes I think it is just a matter of thinking it through, and using a good training plan. And try to be sensitive to the kitty's needs. That was great that Suzie got in bed with you!