Help for Toby

bmccann

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, I come to you all looking for help with my 2 year old Himalayan cat named Toby.

About a year ago, he was constantly scratching his ears and had the coffee-ground substance in his ears. They found ear mites and "one demodex mite" and perscribed him Tresaderm. After about a week of treatment, his ears looked normal.

Back around April, Toby was scratching again. He also had some crusty stuff under his chin. The vet perscribed more tresaderm along with some medicated fluid to clean up his chin (feline acne) and also some steroid solution because they think the scratching might be allergy related. The scratching subsided a little bit. But now, things have gotten much worse...

A month ago, the coffee-ground substance was in his ears again. His feline acne under his chin is nearly gone, but now he is scratching his entire face REALLY bad, to the point where he is bleeding between his eyes and ears and around his whiskers. I took him back to the same vet as before. They did not find ear mites but perscribed me an ear cleaner solution to get all the gunk out. They also gave me the same steroid solution because they still feel the itchiness is due to an allergic reaction. They gave me new hypoallergenic food (Natural Balance Green Pea and Duck) and told me to feed him that instead of his Science Diet hairball control.

I'm extremely concerned about Toby. I have a cone on him to prevent him from scratching but he is finding clever positions to get around the cone and get to his eyes.

The first question I have...does Tresaderm treat for all mites (Demodex, burrowing, and Cheyletiella mites) or just the standard ear mites?

Thanks for reading...any help would be appreciated!!
Brad

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Brad, I am so sorry you are going through this with your cat. I wish I could offer advice, but I have had no experience with what you describe. I just wanted to say, I hope you can find out what works and your cat will be just fine.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tresaderm is an ear medicine. It will not treat any mites that leave the ear (like demodex do), because it needs contact with the mites to kill them. There are topicals for treating demodex.

mnjulz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry about Toby. I don't have any experience with mites but if you do a search you will find lots of info.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also can't help, but wanted to welcome you to TCS! I'm sure someone will be along to help you.

You might want to ask the vet if Toby has a yeast infection in his ears or if it's "just" mites.

Are the steroids helping him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bmccann

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The treatment for the steroids was 1ml for 4 days, then 1/2ml for 4, then 1/2ml every other day for 8 days. On day 7, he vomited about an hour after I gave him his dose. On day 8 and 9, the same thing happened. I haven't done it since.

Every day I take the cone off just so Toby gets some time to relax. But the second I take my eyes off him he is going to town on his face with his claws. It's really sad to see

The last time I was in, they did not see an infection at all. They said, "you got him in here in time." He's had an infection before and knocked that out with some Tresaderm, so that did its job. But the skin irritation remains...

I'm definitely not an expert...but after reading a ton on the subject, I think he might be one of those rare cases of demodex mites or mange. I think I might take him to a new vet to see what they say.

I'm still up for opinions though. Thanks for the help so far!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I would definitely take him to a different vet since the one you have keeps doing the same things. Sorry, I don't have any other suggestions for you since I've never dealt with anything like this with my cats.

Welcome to TCS.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow I'm so sorry Toby is going through all that! I don't know what else to tell you, I don't know much about ear mites. But I hope the medicines and the new food help him!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!

I'm afraid the only advice I can offer is the same as GoldyCat, I'd be seeking a second opinion.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with the second opinion. I'd also recommend a skin scrape and culture to see what it is you're dealing with.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am not a vet but even I know tresaderm will not take care of demedex mange. Your cat has mange and you need to take your cat to a new vet for treatment. With proper treatment, your cat will be on the fast track of recovery soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bmccann

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update:

Took him to a new vet today. The first thing the doctor said was that he looked like he had a secondary They put his head under a black light and his head GLOWED. They are 99.9% sure it is a fungal infection, so they gave him a shot of anti-fungal medicine. They did a scraping to confirm and will have those results in a few days. They also gave me oral Cefadroxil and novasan scrub for the affected areas of skin.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
So glad to you took him to a different vet. for fast healing.