help for kitties with megacolon

catbikini

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
SoOO - I want to make sure that the best information I have ever received from this site.  MIRALAX is a miracle drug for megacolon treatment.  I have had many good years with my megacolon kitty with giving her 1/4 teaspoon of MIRALAX on a spoonful of wet food once a day.  There have been the RARE need for an enema.  I would start out giving the MIRALAX two times a day and titrate until kitty's poo is soft and able to pass easily.  MIRALAX is odorless and colorless and kitty doesn't even know that she is getting her medicine.  MIRALAX is sold in any drugstore.

I hope that this might help just one poor little kitty out there!!!

=^..^=

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for this information. My boy does not have megacolon but he does have similar issues. I am going to look into this. 

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of the best resources for guardians of megacolon kitties has to be the online self-help/support group that can be found here http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Feline_Megacolon/ - after almost 12 years of online presence and with over 1600 members, these people know a thing or two about managing their kitties condition.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catbikini

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hope that this helps you and your kitty!  =^..^=

solsticepixie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi catbikini!  How long did it take for your kitty to have his first poop after starting Miralax?  I suspect my cat has megacolon, but my vet thinks it's just constipation (in spite of 2 human-sized poops!)  Anyway, she sent us home with instructions to give him 1/4-1/2 tsps of Miralax twice a day.  The first dose I gave him was 1/4, but I upped it to 1/2 since then. He has now had 6 doses and has not pooped.  He seems fine, not uncomfortable, not straining to go, he's eating and drinking and peeing.  When I talked to the vet yesterday, she was surprised that he hadn't gone yet, but didn't seem too concerned when I told him he was acting normally.  My plan is to call tomorrow to schedule and appt., but thought I'd see what your experience has been. 

Thanks!

BTW, I'm in Baltimore, too.

catbikini

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The longest Boo goes without a poo is about 3 days.  If your kitty is acting normal I wouldn't be too concerned about no BM.  My Boo usually has a bulgy bottom when she is impacted with stool.  I know then that I need professional help to get a poo out of her.  This rarely happens since I have been medicating her with Miralax.  I would continue with 1/2 tsp 2xday until your kitty poos.  If her poo is runny then you can back off of the medication.  Just a reminder that you do not need to add water to the Miralax.  Just sprinkle it on a tablespoon of wet food.  Your kitty will never know that it is there if you mix it in.  Also I would start your kitty on a diet of grain free food.  There are many to choose from nowadays.  Both wet and dry food.  Good luck and keep me posted!  Where do you take your kitty for vet care?  I use Falls Road Animal Hospital on Falls Road.  I am only minutes away.  =^..^=

solsticepixie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for replying!  He still hasn't gone, unless he's done it in some obscure place. He continues to act his usual self.  The vet told me that Miralax is undetectable by cats, but I didn't believe it until I experienced it.  Wags just chows down on the food like it isn't even there.  What a nice change from the usual pet meds!  It's also nice that it's available of the counter and is so inexpensive.  I take my cats to Light Street Animal Hospital for routine care, but for anything serious or worrisome I take them to Advanced Veterinary Complex in Reisterstown.  It's far from me, but I've been going there for over 20 years and I trust them.

Thanks again for replying!

catbikini

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
good luck with the poo.  Keep me posted.  I bet your kitty poos soon!!  =^..^=

solsticepixie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He finally pooped yesterday morning.  YAY!  It was a tad soft, but otherwise perfectly normal looking.  That's the good news.  The bad news is that I still don't have a diagnosis of megacolon, extreme constipation, or anything else.  I'm reluctant to stop giving him the Miralax, but also don't want to keep giving it to him if he doesn't need it.  I'll continue to monitor him for the next day or two before calling the vet for another appointment. 

catbikini

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wouldn't worry about giving Miralax on a daily basis.  I would titrate it to soft poo.  If the poo gets runny then back off on the dose of the Miralax, maybe even every other day.  Giving the Miralax is much better than any other treatment for constipation.  I am glad to hear that kitty is pooing

=^..^=