Help For A Very Meowy Kitty With Tummy Issues!

HoneyxDexter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I really don't know where to start... as this is both behavioural and a health issue for my poor Honey :(.

Honey is the most LOUDEST cat you would ever meet, when we first bought her we had to let all our neighbours know that we weren't killing our cat... she just sounded like that. And whenever we take her to the vets she sets the dogs off in the other building... not only that but she's also driving my family insane, I seem to be the only one pitting her. So yeah her yowling and screaming habit is crazy as it's ongoing throughout the day (it's worse when you're in the kitchen).

She's always had this since she was a kitten but it got worse when she had her first litter of kitten as she escaped the house and went missing for two days (We are to blame for that :(.)

Not only that, this month, she's had ongoing foul smelling dhiarrea(sometimes with mucus) it makes you want to throw up , and she wants food ALL THE TIME. I thought it was stress... but I had to go to the vets as this wasn't an issue I could ignore. Vets gave her bland food at first and when that didn't work we came back and she got antibiotics.

I've done a bit of research, and fell upon Hyperthyriodism... but I've read it only happens to cats above the age of 10.

Honestly I'm running out of ideas, I need to go back to the vets as soon as possible but I want to have a general issue or maybe suggestions of what it could be so I could suggest it to my vet?

Our other cat had to have an operation this month due to a traffic accident and it spiralled up to a sum off £3000 so we are currently a bit tight on the financial side, so I can't keep coming back to vets, even though we might have to.

Anyways, sorry for all the information but I would love to hear other cat owners information on this, maybe people who've had cats with similar symptoms or screaming cats, since I would love for Honey to finally be able to calm down as she always looks scared now :(.

Many thanks!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
She might be screaming because of the pain of having GI issues.
At the vet's office, they'll probably want a fresh fecal sample to test for intestinal parasites, so if it's possible, collect a sample before you go. They might also do a barium test, where the barium is used as a tracer to determine if there's an obstruction, or something wrong with the structure of her GI system. This could also be something simple, like a food intolerance. Have you tried a hypoallergenic food or switching the protein?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HoneyxDexter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What are you feeding her now? Has she been de-wormed?
Yeah she's been dewormed using panucure. I feed her dry bland food, but now I started adding chicken as I heard that's good for stomach problems.

HoneyxDexter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She might be screaming because of the pain of having GI issues.
At the vet's office, they'll probably want a fresh fecal sample to test for intestinal parasites, so if it's possible, collect a sample before you go. They might also do a barium test, where the barium is used as a tracer to determine if there's an obstruction, or something wrong with the structure of her GI system. This could also be something simple, like a food intolerance. Have you tried a hypoallergenic food or switching the protein?
I'll call my vets to make an appointment and ask if I can bring in a stool sample so I can slowly eliminate things one by one of it is intestinal parasites.
Food intolerance also crossed my mind as she's a Bengal and they are quiet known for the sensitive stomachs.

Could you list some hypoallergenic brands or foods I could give her, as I don't think I've tried that. I've had bland food given by the vet for stomach issues but I'm not sure if that's the same.

Many thanks everyone :)

k-niner47

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pumpkin has always worked for my cat .you can try mixing it with the food.
Coconut oil in small amounts is good.If the cat licks it off your fingers its a good thing i think.

HoneyxDexter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pumpkin has always worked for my cat .you can try mixing it with the food.
Coconut oil in small amounts is good.If the cat licks it off your fingers its a good thing i think.
That sounds new :) I'll try that tomorrow as we have a large pumpkin in the kitchen just sitting their on the counter and luckily we've also got coconut oil.
Thanks

k-niner47

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That sounds new :) I'll try that tomorrow as we have a large pumpkin in the kitchen just sitting their on the counter and luckily we've also got coconut oil.
Thanks
The pumpkin i refer to is sold at most any pet food store,and comes in a can.You refrigerate after opening,and use 2 tbspns with her food that she is eating now.I,m not sure about a pumpkin itself,but for sure give it a try.
The pumpkin sold at stores is very cheap,and comes in a good sized can.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I'll call my vets to make an appointment and ask if I can bring in a stool sample so I can slowly eliminate things one by one of it is intestinal parasites.
Food intolerance also crossed my mind as she's a Bengal and they are quiet known for the sensitive stomachs.

Could you list some hypoallergenic brands or foods I could give her, as I don't think I've tried that. I've had bland food given by the vet for stomach issues but I'm not sure if that's the same.

Many thanks everyone :)
Here's a limited ingredient food you could try. The main protein is duck, which is a less common protein in cat food, so IF the reason that Honey is having stomach issues is because she's sensitive to chicken, turkey, tuna, or other common proteins that she probably was eating in her prior cat foods, this should be fine for her: Merrick Limited Ingredient Diet Grain-Free Real Duck Pate Recipe Canned Cat Food, 5-oz, case of 24

HoneyxDexter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The pumpkin i refer to is sold at most any pet food store,and comes in a can.You refrigerate after opening,and use 2 tbspns with her food that she is eating now.I,m not sure about a pumpkin itself,but for sure give it a try.
The pumpkin sold at stores is very cheap,and comes in a good sized can.
Aha I sound so silly, but I know that an actual pumpkin is quiet beneficial for humans especially the seeds.

I'll see if I can find it in A pet store and if not I might order it online :)

Also any opinions on purina one? I just did a bit of research and it looks promising as it is highly digestible and has fibres that allow the cat to have firm stool and reduce the odour as well as it's designed for cats with sensitive stomachs.

HoneyxDexter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here's a limited ingredient food you could try. The main protein is duck, which is a less common protein in cat food, so IF the reason that Honey is having stomach issues is because she's sensitive to chicken, turkey, tuna, or other common proteins that she probably was eating in her prior cat foods, this should be fine for her: Merrick Limited Ingredient Diet Grain-Free Real Duck Pate Recipe Canned Cat Food, 5-oz, case of 24
Thank you, I know it sounds silly but by giving a cat the actual meat on plate etc cooked chicken and duck, would it be equivalent to what is used in canned foods? Or would canned food of that protein be a preferred option?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you, I know it sounds silly but by giving a cat the actual meat on plate etc cooked chicken and duck, would it be equivalent to what is used in canned foods? Or would canned food of that protein be a preferred option?
If you give just pure meat, you'll need to supplement with taurine and thiamine. Someone over in our raw and home cooked foods forum could probably give you more info. :)

HoneyxDexter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you give just pure meat, you'll need to supplement with taurine and thiamine. Someone over in our raw and home cooked foods forum could probably give you more info. :)
Okay thank you so much for your help :D

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she eating only dry food? I would try getting some canned food into her every day and see if that helps solve the problem. Is she urinating okay? Is she constipated? My cats have to have their canned wet food or the problems start happening...

HoneyxDexter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is she eating only dry food? I would try getting some canned food into her every day and see if that helps solve the problem. Is she urinating okay? Is she constipated? My cats have to have their canned wet food or the problems start happening...
We've tried wet food but that's also with no luck, she poo's normally I don't see her straining, it's just the fact she has dhiarrea with mucus and it absolutely smells. I would say she urinates around twice a day.

HoneyxDexter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A small update, I've just ordered some of the turkey canned food so will see how that goes, but mums going out to buy some Purina sensitive food for her so that she can have something that's healthy for her stomach.

Also I've been training her the command "quiet" before her meal time to minimise the screeching yowling noise using a clicker and not giving her food when she's meowing but only when she's sitting and waiting quietly, she's a smart cat so she's caught on within a day :).

She had two dhiarreas at 4.00am and just had another one, so it's pretty frequent. Also have a vet appointment for next week :)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has she been spayed?

Have you tried novel proteins?

The pumpkin you have at home should be fine if you bake and purée it.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know Giardia can cause diarrhea. You could have your vet test for that.

HoneyxDexter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has she been spayed?

Have you tried novel proteins?

The pumpkin you have at home should be fine if you bake and purée it.
We are getting her spayed soon as she's just finished feeding her kittens, but I would like to get her spayed before she gets in season again. I'm pretty sure the kittens made her a bit more stressful, don't think she's the Nursing type, but she's been a great mother so far!

Never heard of Novel proteins, but will give it a try as well :)

HoneyxDexter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know Giardia can cause diarrhea. You could have your vet test for that.
Just did a bit of research on that and the symptoms really do match up to hers! Dhiarrea with mucus and strong odours..
I'll mention it to my vet as well, just in case she does have it.

Attachments