Help for a lovable scaredy cat!

brtngrl13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi - I just adopted the most adorable 2 year old siamese who has had more than her share of turmoil and change in her short years. She is affectionate and loves belly rubs and chin scratches and has the raspiest of meezer meows. To say I'm smitten is putting it mildly!  However, she has been with us for two weeks now and its clear that her favorite spot in our house is the landing at the top of the stairs to the bedrooms we don't use. She is happy as a clam up there and only comes to the floor with our bedroom and the living spaces to use her litter pan. I tried keeping her food on this floor but found that she wasn't coming down to seek it out and therefor, not eating. So I loved it upstairs to her "area", along with her toys and a blanket and things to make her comfortable. Of course now I'm wondering if she's so comfortable she doesn't have to come down and explore? When I have brought her downstairs, she will investigate hesitantly and slink from room to room before running back upstairs. We have no other cats or pets or children so we were really hoping she would enjoy the quiet and safety of our home and she seems to... from her spot. Any suggestions here? Should I take the creature comforts and put them downstairs? Should I continue to visit her in her spot or make her come to mine? I'm at a loss with this little lost soul!

evamilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would let her do as she pleases - if she likes it up there and is happy, let her continue to have her regular food up there.

However you could continue to entice her down with extra yummy food such as cooked chicken and tuna.

How long has she been with you?

Remember cats take things very slowly! Once she is fully comfortable she will explore more!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brtngrl13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We've had her just over two weeks - initially she would come down and sleep on the bed at night and be social as long as she was in the bedroom. The past few days she has been firmly encamped in the upstairs though. I don't want to rush her or force her, just want to convey that she's safe and can join the party downstairs.

evamilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Two weeks is minutes in cat time lol, she will come down in her own time once she is used to all the household sounds and has settled in. It sounds like you are doing all the right things.

She maybe exploring more at night when you are asleep.

I would keep enticing her down with treats and toys though!

You could try a feliway defuser downstairs so that she thinks her scent is everywhere, I have found these useful in the past when settling in a stray.

Keep us posted on how she gets on, would love to see some photos when you have them :vibes:

dandila

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with most everything with the exception of her food.  I would feed her where it is convenient for YOU to monitor her intake and to encourage her to come down and join the family.  She may only do that while you are sleeping the first week or so but I think it is important to give her a reason to join you.