Help for 2 Kittens

lfarr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I heard about this thread and decided to give it a shot. I've been feeding 2 stray kittens that were caught under a dumpster and worried sick about their safety with the severe weather that's coming. I'm struggling financially but have done my best to care for them. I can't afford cat food but I share my meals with them. They are growing so I must be doing something right. Right now, the kittens sleep on a pad under my outside barbecue grill cover but with dangerous temperatures coming, I know they could freeze to death. I can't bring them inside as they are not on my lease, and I hear adding pets is quite costly. I've turned to various animal rescue organizations in the City seeking help but I haven't received one response which is pretty alarming. All I want is help with a litter box and cat litter so I can at least keep them inside overnight. I know I could get into trouble if I get caught but I'm willing to take my chances. They are living, breathing animals and no harm should come to them. Funny thing is, I am not a fan of cats by any means but along the way I fell in love with the funny things they do, how they take care of each other, and how vulnerable they are. Please, please I could use some suggestions. I would really like to get a good night's sleep. Thank you so much

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
You can use a cardboard box top or something else for a tray that has low sides (high enough to keep material in but low enough so they can get in and out), sprinkle some soil in it and assuming you can't get that much soil crumple up some newspaper and shredded junk mail.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lfarr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Now you can understand why I'm so upset. On my way to the dumpster to look for a box that will hold up for a few days. Thanks for the responses.

lfarr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Didn't find any boxes at the dumpster but found 2 old boot boxes but they probably won't hold up for 2 or 3 days. The only option I have left is to bring them in every few hours to warm up and hope they find a way to stay warm overnight. Please keep them in your thoughts.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, you could use the box for one night and keep an eye out for something to replace it for the next night, or tape around the edges for extra support. Do you have a baking sheet you'd be willing to replace? The sides aren't high enough but it, or something like it might work.

ambermae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I used an old shoe box the first night I got my 6 week old kittens and the second night my mom found a disposable tray. I used that and had them in my bathroom until I was able to get them proper equipment. They also have disposable litter boxes with litter in them they could use for a night or two. I can’t get over how cute and tiny they are I’m sure your landlord would understand if you are just taking care of them until it is safe for them to stay outside

lfarr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
These are great ideas and thank you so much for your kindness.

lfarr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mulling over the recommendations so I make some decisions and get some sleep! I read that I shouldn't bring the kittens in because they likely have fleas but again, I'll take my chances.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's a good point. Containing them to a small space with hard surfaces (no rugs) will help, unless you have towels you can put down or rugs that can be laundered.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Sometimes you can find boxes at supermarkets or big box stores as they discard them once they have unpacked the merchandise.

A cardboard box and dirt is absolutely a good start. Aluminum foil pans from markets, the kind you use to cook and then throw out, are also something I have used.

Thank you for helping these kittens.

lfarr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bring on the bad weather! Got my boxes and dirt so I’m all set. The kittens and I thank you all!❤

lfarr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not the best picture but these boot boxes seem to work better so I taped the edges and will now fit them with trash bags and add the filling. Also, these kittens are extremely close but I don't if kittens can share the same box so I made 2. I follow directions rather well!:lol: Thanks for talking me through this!

1671756402412.png

lfarr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. Do you suggest I use one box or two?