Help! Fleas - To flea dip or not to flea dip, that is the question

taz mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a vet appointment for my little Taz man to rule out some recent behavioral issues.  At first I thought it might be FHS, but now I'm thinking it could just be fleas.  We dogsat my aunt's dog a couple weeks ago and I'm thinking she brought fleas into our house.  I didn't notice them before, so they must not like my blood as I have not noticed any bites.  My mom and aunt both noticed them and they think that is the reason for Taz's behavior.  We just used a flea treatment on him a couple weeks ago, and I want to say it's Advantage, but I'd have to check the box when I get home.  My mom mentioned taking Taz to the groomer to be flea dipped.  I'm concerned about doing this because I don't want to do anything that will be harmful to him or cause him any undo distress.  He is a year old now, so I'm pretty sure he's old enough for one, I'm just not sure if I should.  Another thing is that I finally did find a flea on my bed this morning (much to my disgust), and then I saw one on me when I was in the car (also to my horror and disgust).  I'm worried I will end up with fleas in my car and that I'll be passing it on to people at work.  I need to find a product that will help kill the fleas currently in my home.  The dog roamed from the kitchen, living room, and my mom's bedroom.  Taz frequents all three of these locations, as well as my bedroom.  What is safe to use to kill these suckers so that we can be flea free again?  We used to use the Zodiac Fleatrol spray on the carpets, but would that be a good one to use.  I need to be able to kill all cycles so that I don't continue to have this problem.  I read in another post somewhere that fleas and ticks do not like Brewers Yeast.  Does anyone else know about that?

Taz Mom

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We got fleas in the house last spring.  I have a parrot, so can't use chemical foggers....plus I just can't think that fogging the walls, floors  and furniture with poisonous stuff can be good for me or the critters,  After a bit of research, I discovered food grade diatomaceous earth.  It must be FOOD GRADE....not the stuff that is used in the garden or the pool.  It is basically the very fine exoskelotons of tiny organisms.  When fleas, bed bugs, or any insect with a hard outer shell walk through the stuff, it cuts their shells and they dehydrate and die.

You sprinkle the stuff on your carpets, around woodwork, etc.....let it sit for several hours or overnight, and then vacuum.  We did two applications about a week apart, and then the fleas were gone. You can pick it up on Amazon, sites specializing in it, some pet stores, or feed stores. Farmers feed it to livestock, as it is a natural dewormer.  It can be used for ear mites as well (outside the ears).  You can also put it directly on your animal to kill fleas, but don't go crazy....it is a bit drying to the skin.  I'm going to try using it on the animals this year to see if I can avoid giving them chemicals.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In addition to what HarleyDiva mentioned, I'd get a Capstar pill and maybe Revolution. You can get Capstar at pet supply places or the vet, Revolution is available only from a vet or some online pet supply places with a prescription.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

taz mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well we're at the vet now so we'll see what they say. I haven't seen many. Up until yesterday I didn't see any and then I saw 3. It may not seem bad now, but I don't want it to get out of hand.