HELP! FLEAS EVERYWHERE!!!

jandcrosewolf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK so when we first got our first cat Zelda we were completely flea free. but about a week later my in law's dog had snuck into the house while we were bringing in some new furniture and we found her in our bed 2 hours later. I love my in laws but they NEVER bathe or de flea their dogs, and now we have a bad infestation, in the carpets and in our bed.

We have been vacuuming and washing that cats and our selves but every time it looks like we make any progress we get another wave of fleas. They don't bother my fiance much but they are eating me, and our two cats alive, and I have strong reactions to bug bites and right now im covered from head to toe. I'm at my wits end, but we have nowhere to go because we were both laid off of work last month. we have enough money budgeted out to care for the kitties and our selves, but any good flea treatments are out of our price range right now, because Atreyu got sick and we spent any extra money we had to buy his medicine(He is doing better now). 

Does anyone have any cat safe flea killing tips we will do almost anything to make the biting stop, if we have to we will spend the extra $60 to get frontline for the cats, but that's cutting it close. And yes we have tried dawn dish soap already it killed the little ones but the really big ones shrug it off.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Washing them will not get rid of the eggs and larvae unfortunately, that's why the wave.

Your best bet would be to use advantage 11 for extra large dogs, you can buy single tubes at petco even.

Pick up a 1.0 ml syringe (no needle type) and dose the cats at 0.8 mls each, and the dogs with their appropriate dose according to size.

The large tubes have 4.0 mls each, so it will be good for several doses.

This can be repeated every 2 weeks until problem is gone.

Then a monthly treatment is fine.

Advantage 11 is the only med that also kills eggs and larvae too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jandcrosewolf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok awesome, any idea on how to get them out of our bed, carpets, clothing, furniture, etc....?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fleas will not stay on bedding or clothes, or even humans for that matter. 

They will wait for a pet and hop on them, then fall off and die because of the flea med on them.

Remember to treat every 2 weeks until the problem is gone. It won't take too long.

Vacuum daily too, big help. Placing a flea collar inside the bag is ideal.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Washing them will not get rid of the eggs and larvae unfortunately, that's why the wave.

Your best bet would be to use advantage 11 for extra large dogs, you can buy single tubes at petco even.

Pick up a 1.0 ml syringe (no needle type) and dose the cats at 0.8 mls each, and the dogs with their appropriate dose according to size.

The large tubes have 4.0 mls each, so it will be good for several doses.

This can be repeated every 2 weeks until problem is gone.

Then a monthly treatment is fine.

Advantage 11 is the only med that also kills eggs and larvae too.

Just make sure you get the Advantage 2 and not K9 Advantix which is made by the same co. Advantage 2 is the same formula for both cats and dogs (dose dependent on weight). K9 Advantix is for dogs only and may hurt or kill your cat.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Correct!

It makes me crazy that Bayer would name the 2 so similar, yet advantix is poisonous and deadly to cats.

Too easily mistaken!

jandcrosewolf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The only advantage 2 that is available were we are is $78 a piece , but I saw an advantage 2 shampoo and something called Natural Chemistry, Natural Flea and Tick Spray would these work too?

and yes unfortunately fleas do like to jump on me and bite, it has been an occurrence since I was young, and at the current moment they like to hang out in our carpets and bedding, as soon as I lie down to sleep I can feel them crawling on my legs, so we have to vacuum our whole bedroom just so I can get to sleep and even then I wake up bitten up pretty bad. I can see them jumping onto me from the carpets thats when I grab them and squish them but its not enough.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Isn't there a pet store like petco around you where they sell single tubes?

On ebay there is advantage 11 extra large dog four tubes for $35.00 with free shipping right now.

Not advantage 100, you want it to say 11, their newest formula.

Yes, they will bite if they hop on you, wash all your bedding for a long cycle so they will drown, vacuum lots, and treat the pets. 

The problem with shampoos, and sprays is it won't give them any protection, it's like capstar, it will get rid of the fleas on them, but they will come right back from carpets, etc.

They need treatments.

jandcrosewolf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ohhhh ok :) 

There is a petsmart in the next town over, we will have to plan a trip and find a ride there. We will do the avantage 2