Help finding calcium amounts in different foods

SDerailed

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a cat that was just diagnosed with idiopathic hypercalcemia. We were told to look for wet food with under 1% calcium, high protein, low carbs, moderate fat.
But for the life of me I can't find calcium content anywhere online. We bought all sorts of different foods to entice her into getting rid of dry food, but I need to know which are safe for her to continue on. Please help, she is so picky!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found this article which might help you decide...at least until you get concrete numbers on calcium content.
Feeding the Cat with Hypercalcemia | PetMD
And this one....scroll down to get to the hypercalcemia part.
VetFolio
You might have to call the companies and ask them for the calcium content individually.....

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
According to Felineihc.org Wellness wet food might be a good food to try out. To my knowledge, you have to contact manufacturers to ask about calcium levels, as low calcium diets are a fairly rare requirement. Wellness Core is their best line of food, imo, though some of their formulations have tapioca starch and guar gum,which I would suggest avoiding. To my knowledge, you can’t avoid xanthan gum in their formulations, but it’s a lesser evil. Catfooddb is a great place to start looking at specific formulations. I’d suggest starting with wellness core 95%. FelineIHC may be outdated, so you may be best off contacting wellness to make sure their foods are still low in calcium.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Feeby's calcium count was high on her last blood work. She is due for another round of blood testing in the next few weeks. If her calcium is still high, the vet suggests we need to go one step further with testing - aka: Ionized calcium (iCa), which goes one step further than standard calcium blood work. I am just throwing that out there in case this wasn't done before declaring your cat's high calcium level as idiopathic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SDerailed

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. Feeby's calcium count was high on her last blood work. She is due for another round of blood testing in the next few weeks. If her calcium is still high, the vet suggests we need to go one step further with testing - aka: Ionized calcium (iCa), which goes one step further than standard calcium blood work. I am just throwing that out there in case this wasn't done before declaring your cat's high calcium level as idiopathic.
We just got the results of the ionized calcium this week and I've actually asked for them to also do ultrasounds and an xray to double check that there is no IBD or kidney tumors as well. Im just trying to triple check everything before we settle on idiopathic. We had tested for lymohomia and kidney issues as well just to rule it out.