Help finding best non prescription food for CKD cat

misterginja

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Regarding phosphorus and kidney kitties, we're all doing the best we can with the information we have available. Here again as with iodine, I strongly disagree with the AAFCO about not having maximum limit requirements.
I so agree with this---also wish the food companies would treat phosphorus percentage as important as protein and carb content and put in on the labels. So much time spent tracking down the information.

Rosies Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for all if the info, so appreciated! Since my kitty now does not want the HIll's prescription k/d, I am grateful for the research. done by others. To misterginja..I treid Stella and Chewy's this week, and she will not eat it. I did find that she loves Weruva Truluxe Steak Frites and the new Weruva Wx Phos Focus Chicken Formula. The Wx Phos Focus says it is not a complete food. And thoughts on this? I tried mixing it with Hill's k/d, but she leaves the k/d behind. Also tried Dave's Low Phosphorus, does not like it. Will try a few more on the list. She still likes Tiki Cat Ater Dark, but it is a little higher in phosphorus. Trial and error.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wx Phos Focus says it is not a complete food. And thoughts on this?
I spoke with a rep at Weruva last year. The AAFCO required them to add that statement because the phos is actually lower than AAFCO minimum requirements. All the other nutrients in it are complete.

Rosies Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I spoke with a rep at Weruva last year. The AAFCO required them to add that statement because the phos is actually lower than AAFCO minimum requirements. All the other nutrients in it are complete.
Great, thank you!! She certainly gobbled it down 😁

Rosies Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe these will help.

Resources for CKD Cats - Protein & Phosphorous Information on Non-Prescription Commercial Cat Food

Thank you so much for this info!!!

misterginja

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for this info! Same as R Rosies Mom I was unsure about the Weruva Wx Phos Focused, at the nearby pet store they said it was meant only as a topper to a more nutritionally complete food, so I didn't buy it. Good to know that's not the case. I think Weruva should word it differently on the label, it confuses a lot of people...