help! fights between brother&sister

jenperry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 cats that I found when babies. They are brother and sister. 2years old, spayed, neutered, and declawed. They have always been best friends, playing, grooming,inseparable. Till last night, now when my female sees her brother she growls,hisses,and speed everywhere. They live inside and destroyed my house breaking everything fighting one another. They are both sweet good tempered cats and have never fought before. I don't know what to do. Why would this happen all of the sudden. My male in the past has tried to hump my female but I would clap my hands and he would stop. Since last night if my female lays eyes on her brother she goes crazy screaming and growling. My husband wants them gone and I love my babies, I just don't understand why this happened all of the sudden without any sign or warning. Please help me!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenperry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry she is peering everywhere when she is growling and hissing at him. I meant to say not speeding everywhere.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenperry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have placed them both outside in my fenced in yard. She runs up to him and smells him and then growls and hisses and lays her ears back and urinated. This has gotten me so worried she has never acted like this before she loves her brother and now she wants to hurt him. We raised the Windows in our house and there was another Tom cat lurking outside yesterday do u think he sprayed and some got on my male cat and that's why she is acting crazy. Please someone help me figure this out I am so desperate.I can't let them back inside but I can't keep them out all night either due to other cats in the area. I am so scared and worried.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Start by separating them.  Something has obviously upset their relationship.

Bringing them back in, separating them and cleaning anywhere they have peed really well are the first steps to take.  A solution of enzyme / biological landry powder or liquid is good for cleaning pee spots.  Vet checks are worth considering as well.

If you are having problems with entire male cats outside turn the hose on them.  It won't hurt them and it's fairly effective in detering them, though you will have to keep up the hosing.  It worked for me!

As this has only just happened you have a good chance of reintegrating them, but it will take weeks rather than days.  Basically it revolves around letting them settle, then getting them used to each other scent, then sight, then sound, and finally letting them in the same room again.  Obviously you have to go at their speed, and one thing that can help after the initial settling down and scent transfers is a mesh (screen) door - you leave the normal one open and it closed, so that the cats can see and smell each other but not get at each other.

One problem with declawed cats is that they will bite more, and cat bites are nastier than cat scratches.  I don't know if it is part of the problem - here in the routine UK declawing is never, ever done.

If you can afford to consult a properly qualified behaviourist I'd recommend doing so.  If your cats are insured the insurance might cover some or even all of the cost.  However in the UK you have to be refered by your vet.  Look for one on the Internet, check back here if you are not sure they are qualified, then visit the vets.

Last edited:

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did either cat acquire a different smell? For example, if you took one to the vet, the other might not recognize them. They are very smell oriented.