Help! Fight trauma

rasko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I'm really in distress thinking about this and cannot sleep! I have 2 Bengal/hymalyn sisters two and a half. They cuddle sometimes, clean each other, harmless play fight, ignor each other ... Normal sister behaviour but ...

yesterday at noon we were sitting on the deck of my condo which is attached to another persons deck separated by a wall, with a cat on the other side. My 2 were leaning over trying too see the other cat like they always do, tails a little fluffy.

Then the other cat took a smack at Rascal and scared her and Keeko. They both immediately jumped down and started to fight each other in confusion and chaos. Both frantically trying to run into the safety of the house Rascal peed/sprayed all over the deck. Once inside Rascal hid under a chair and started meowing and hissing at Keeko, keep was confused. I attempted to calm Rascal down and Keeko seemed fine. Rascal was growling and shaking in my arms. Having to leave right away I set them both in desperate rooms and figured they come around.

I returned home 7 hours later hoping everything would be normal to find Rascal camped out on top the dryer growling and hissing and any noise or sudden movement, and keeko cowarding in the closet of the bedroom (kind of funny cause Keeko is bigger and wins when they play fight). I comforted Keeko enough to sit on the bed but not leave the bedroom. And Rascal has been comforted enough to walk around the house, Leary sometimes and does not want to be picked up (growls). Ps no one has used the litter box all day and the food bowls are full.

They can't even look at each other from down the hall with out a stare off and once one hisses the other does and it starts to sound ugly. Leaving them alone for another 3 hours it was bed time. But both wanted to come to bed but couldn't be civil. So my boyfriend is sleeping on the couch with Rascal who I can hear is walking around and eating. And I have Keeko in bed who won't move or actually go to sleep. So I'm laying awake looking at her.

Will they come around?? I'm worried

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rasko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ps. No one sustained any injuries, there are no scratches or punctures. I have called the vet and they said there is nothing they can do if it's not physical.

rasko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No one has any insight :(

dinkster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's too bad I can't remember the episode of "my cat from hell" but it was similar to your problem where the 2 cats got along and snuggled but when the other cat came around the one cat would just fight her sister. I wish I could offer you better advise but I think you need to bring them back "out of their scaredy zone" with some play. Make them comfortable and safe to be out again.  Try to make your balcony a happy place...try offering treats or play while they are out there.

rasko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They still cannot make even eye contact in the house which is hard when it's a condo less then 1000 sqft I tried getting them wet food (a treat) on either sides of a sliding door open a crack and that was a no go. Rascal is okay around Keeko until she sees her so it's not a scent thing, it's the visual of a cat she's having problems with

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had this problem when my cats saw a strange cat outside our house. Here's a link to the rather lengthy thread: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/280791/two-cats-suddenly-fighting-aggressively

Basically, what resolved the issue was treating the scared cat (not the aggressor) with Valium (prescription from veterinarian, compounded by our local pharmacist in chicken flavor, worked like a charm.)

Take heart, this can be resolved and your two girls again become friends.

rasko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! I quickly read your post and I think things are getting better. I might try that diffuser first before "drugs" as I think things are getting Better.

Keeko (the scared one, but the bigger usually queen of the house) seems to be over it. Rascal (a scary cat always) is still growling away but it doesn't seem to faze Keeko. Earlier Keeko marched right up to her, freaking Rascal out of course.

They just spend the last 2 hours in the came room and varying distances, Rascal still growled sometime when she got uncomfortable and Keeko just stared. I feed them some treats and now Rascal is taking a nap on the dryer while keeko wonders around as usual. I'm hoping she's less cranky after the nap. The time being I have 2 cat areas (bathroom, food) set up incase this isn't progress.

So I think it's Rascal that needs the spray or drugs since she still worked up

kittymomma1122

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine who are siblings also do this when a strange cat is brought over. I clean the area really good where the scent of the other cat may be. Mine cannot resist playing with Da Bird.  I get the toy out and they all get in positions to play. We play for about 10 minutes or so and that brings them out of their aggressive behavior towards one another. It usually last a day and then they resume to their normal behavior. All my cats are very sensitive to any kind of change.