Help? Fever, paralyzed leg, distressed.

supermal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My mom woke up this morning to my cat meowing in distress outside her bedroom door. Her back legs seemed to be paralyzed (not it just seems like one leg) and she has a nasty fever. She was panting heavily. We sat her by the open door and have taken a cool cloth to her fur and she seems to be more comfortable. She is quite old, at least 13 (we got her from the animal shelter, don't know exactly how old she is). She is very alert and keeps on getting up and moving around (she has always done this, she can't stand too much attention at once). She seems fairly distressed. She won't eat or drink but maybe it's possible it's because she's distressed. She was grooming herself furiously when we were taking a damp cloth to her fur.

Any help would be appreciated. We just lost our other cat in December.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm very sorry to hear that your cat is so sick. The only advice I have is to get her to a vet ASAP. It sounds like something is seriously wrong.

Keep us posted if you can.

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Taking her to a vet immediately is all you can do to help her or make her more comfortable.

I hope your Kitty is much better soon!

Robin

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

supermal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Neither my mom nor I can afford a vet. My other cat died right before my mom started a new job, and my mom just lost it and has no money. After watching my other cat die so horribly (although she was only really sick for about a day or two), she just wants to put her down. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what COULD possibly be wrong?

kittica

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have no idea what could be wrong, but I would definitely call a vet, if not just take the cat to their office and figuring the payment out as I go.

A phone call costs pretty much nothing and the vet's office would be able to provide a lot better info and advice than anyone else. Many clinics actually let you work out an arrangement for your payments, too.

Please don't just let the cat suffer.

naps with cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Quickly go on line, look up CareCredit (dot) com , go to the right side of the home page, click the drop-down list and pick "Veterinarian". Follow the directions from there to sign up with CareCredit and you can get INSTANT credit and don't have to wait for your card to come, they'll give you a number (tell them you need the number when you talk to them).

Get to an emergency vet STAT, no joke. Or your vet if available for emergencies, or ANY vet that is available for emergencies.

You honestly get instant credit from CareCredit and if you get on one of their 3 plans to pay back, you won't have to pay any interest at all, just be sure to be on time with those payments, otherwise the interest rate is high; but with the no interest plans, you can make lower or higher payments over many months, your choice.

Again, I'd get your cat to emergency today, right away! And all-night emergency Vet if your vet is closed already where you are.

I use CareCredit and it's awesome!

Warmly,

Julie O'

Originally Posted by Supermal

Neither my mom nor I can afford a vet. My other cat died right before my mom started a new job, and my mom just lost it and has no money. After watching my other cat die so horribly (although she was only really sick for about a day or two), she just wants to put her down. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what COULD possibly be wrong?

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cat sounds really bad off. You should go to the vet, and work out a payment plan with them afterwards. Sometimes vet's will even charge less for somethings. Mine did for
Lynxx

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is the kitty now? It sounds like a heart problem--heart failure of some kind and maybe a saddle thrombosis (blood clot that blocks the flow of blood to the legs, causing paralysis). I don't think there is anything you can do at home--all of the treatments are medical and would require a vet visit. I'd definitely read over what Naps With Cats wrote and see if you can get the kitty to a vet.

http://www.petplace.com/cats/aortic-...ism/page1.aspx

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please, how is your cat???? This is what happenned to my cat last summer. It was his heart. The panting, leg paralysis are typical signs and your cat is in distress. I am sure it is heart related. Please, let us know what has happenned. We care