jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Feralvr

First of all,
you say you are not a cat person
. Your a better cat person than most true cat people
. Again, I commend you for your efforts. You are only one person and can only do so much, especially if there are so many cats near you. It is a concern to hear that the authorities will just trap and kill if they find out about all of the cats. Just keep up with what you are doing, you are making a difference.
you can get on your
anytime, I will join you

I am glad to hear Pheobe is well and I think you DO have a new kitty
. What a great place to live, Hawaii, though if you are an outside cat
. Wish we had that weather here in Chicago
. Good news about the kittens then and glad to hear about the little ones. Oh boy, kittens are so tempting and I want them all. But I can only look and no take
Keep updating and good luck with the trappings
Indeed and do I envy climate of Hawaii? Oh boy, even weather's of Chigago would be nice, we are here having quite bit colder winters (Jan and Feb can be easily both colder than 3F as an average temp -40F being possible for day or two) and our very short summers can sometimes have few days of 90F but it is very rare, not good to be outside kitty here.

Really nice to hear that Phoebe came back, I have read that dogs and cats can be taught to tolerate each others, but don't know how possible it is and especially with adult creatures it might be impossible because of already set ways.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nigelguy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I set 9 traps, caught 3 that needed to be fixed, 4 that were already fixed and someone ate all the food out of one trap without setting it off! Oh well, 3 is better than none, right?

Miss Phoebe is apparently a well known little kitty. A lady from another neighborhood told me last night that she has known her for the last 2 yrs and has seen her have 3 litters of kittens (we think that the little I have in foster is either her 3rd or 4th litter) and so now that she is fixed people will be happy to have her back in their neighborhood! What??? Why didn't you fix her before?!?!?! Oh well, it's done now. But I still need to keep tabs on her because my gut is telling me that we will have to send one of her orangemen out with her. He still is not having anything to do with the taming. 3 of the 5 are doing really well, but the #2 orangeman and stumpy tail gray are not doing as well. Makes me sad, but I want to make a decision on them sooner rather than later so that we can let them go with Momma before she won't take them back. Ohhhh.....how do you guys do this over and over????

BTW ~ I can't be a cat person....my dogs won't let me!!! hahahahaa So, I'm undercover, please don't tell anyone!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Someone out-smarted that trap and got away "scott free" with a full belly!!!
. Congratz on the three you did catch. You are making a huge dent in controlling the cat overpopulation problem in your area, one cat at a time. Just fixing one saves many, many, many lives down the road. Phoebe has been around the block a time or two
. Now she can just concentrate on keeping herself happy and safe, no more kittens!!!!

p.s. Ok, so you are an "undercover cat person"
, I won't tell

nigelguy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I finally have some pics of the kittens. I just posted an ad on Craigslist for them and have signed up for one for Petfinder.com but that isn't running yet. Here is the one for Craigslist...I hope I can find them good homes. They are doing well at this point.

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/pet/2476257273.html

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What a sweety-pie´s!

Looks almost abessynians, a couple of them.

Im sure they will find homes. Good you mention some fee. If you find it embarrassing to charge money, let the fee go to some good cause in the name of the cat.
Thus making a magical bond; the cat connected with giving money to a noble cause - and thus - connected with noble feelings.

Lets hope the fostering of the two remiaing will go well too. Perhaps you are lucky to find someone accepting to have a shy cat who needs fostering many month on...
OR - you manage to turn them into outside cats. If momma will give them protection it may work.

Good luck!

nigelguy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
StefanZ,
They do seem to be sweet cats. They were all strays born under a house, so I have no idea what breed besides Domestic Short Hairs they are.

As for the fee, yes, I am charging one, but it will go to Barbara, the lady that runs the rescue that I work with. She does it all out of pocket and I know that any little thing will help her out. I did have a hit off the ad last night. Hope it's a good hit! Keep the fingers crossed.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fingers and Toes are crossed
that some good homes are found through your craigs list ad. Thanks for posting the
so we could see them. They are absolutely beautiful, stunning kittens and I thank you so much for saving them. I would tell the new adopters that their adoption fee is going to this other rescue organization - Barbara. Most will be so willing to donate to such a great cause. Mega "adoption" vibes coming your way tonight!!!!!

schneidermen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm glad we don't have a feral problem in Australia. We have a magpie that lives in the neighbor's yard who has a broken wing and can't fly. He's at least a year old now, and he wouldn't have made it long at all if there were any feral cats around here, unfortunately.

I don't know why we don't have a feral population, as many people are still under the impression that they don't have to spay or neuter and can let their cats wander outside at all hours!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by schneidermen

I'm glad we don't have a feral problem in Australia. We have a magpie that lives in the neighbor's yard who has a broken wing and can't fly. He's at least a year old now, and he wouldn't have made it long at all if there were any feral cats around here, unfortunately.

I don't know why we don't have a feral population, as many people are still under the impression that they don't have to spay or neuter and can let their cats wander outside at all hours!
Depends from area probably, but you do have quite bit of space there, so it is not getting crowded so easily.

I have seen video's at youtube where was told that at one area there was tens of cats trapped in few weeks time, oh and there are Dingo dogs, that is at least what I did read from that vast land some time ago, Australia is really really big place, there is quite large areas of land where cat's probably can't survive very long, even without enemies, people from there has told me that there also is lot of different weather at different part of country.