KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
IMG_4538.JPG
IMG_4535.JPG
IMG_4536.JPG
IMG_4560.jpg
Some of you may be familiar with me & the background on this little gal. Bubbles, an adult cat I recently adopted, does in fact appear to be pregnant!! I'm trying to determine just when she conceived, as I havent witnessed any signs of heat since adopting she and her mate in mid June. Their previous owner was a breeder also, and had planned to breed her, but due to his schedule as a resident physician (& relocation) he wasn't able to continue with his plans therefore ended up adopting she and her mate out to me. I know his hours had gotten crazy there for a little while just before he gave me these cats, so I'm wondering if she possibly got pregnant while she was still in his care? That would explain why I never saw signs of heat and also her agitated behavior after I adopted her.

Can anyone tell how far along? I know it's hard with pics. I tried uploading a short video that showed her gait but there was an error. I'm thinking about a month to 6 weeks.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have you seen or felt kitten movement in her belly yet? Once you do it's usually 2-3 more weeks. It's impossible to tell from the pictures.

An ultrasound or x-ray would tell you more precisely.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I actually tried to no avail to get her inside the carrier to get her to the vet but it was a relentless 3 hour long ordeal that ended in my defeat. I tried every possible way to "catch" her after I spent an hour trying to coax her, but I think I took 10 steps backwards as far as trust and socialization in the process.
As unbelievable as it sounds, she's recently become less aggressive than before she went missing (this is probably simply due to her getting used to my entire family [as opposed to a single man] as her new home, and normal socialization with re-homed, unsocialized adult cats), but it's still a battle to get close to her. I'm not to stubborn to admit it may be my own fear in getting bitten or attacked, but I also don't want to continue inflicting more stress on her, as she's already been through so much. She's definitely pregnant though. I noticed her tummy was saggy when she came home from her week long escape & terror in the wild about a month ago. However, she was so starved and thin from being alone outside and on complete survival mode that it was only due to her physically depleted state that I noticed her tummy wasn't matching her ribs and weight loss, and that's the only reason I had an inkling pregnancy might of been a possibility.

All help or suggestions anyone can offer are most appreciated! She's finally gaining trust little by little in me, but it's been an EXTREMELY slow process. I'm happy to get anything she'll give me in that area. I don't want to undo the tiny amount of trust I've gained though, but knowing when she got pregnant is weighing heavy on my mind. It could be one of two diff fathers. The only other male she would have had access to besides her companion (if she mated before I adopted her)was a blue point stud the previous breeder had.

Last edited:

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is a tough situation :frustrated:. I'm probably putting more stress on myself than I should be, I just want everything to go smoothly.

Any idea on how I can get her to trust me enough to at the very least let me feel her belly and check her out? Then I'd at least be heading in the right direction for coaxing her into a vet visit.

I've also contacted the previous owner and have quite a few questions for him when he returns my call! :argh:

Last edited:

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My queen, who has 7 five day old kittens, has had problems in the past with becoming a picky eater her while she's nursing. I'm wanting advice on ways to prevent her from getting too picky and losing strength as a result of that pickiness over the next 4-6 weeks. The vet hasn't given a cause for this other than normal mama cat nursing woes. They simply switched her food and had me wean the kittens and the problem corrected itself. I am hoping to avoid this this time around by having kept her on a high quality diet throughout her pregnancy. Just wanting advice from the pros as to whether there's anything else I can do to ensure mama & babies health stay top notch. She's on a mixture of Blue Buffalo Grain Free dry Kitten & Purina Pro Plan kitten dry food. She won't eat the Blue unless I mix the pro plan with it. I also have her on BLue grain free kitten wet and purina one grain free wet. I supplement her with neutra cal gel (which she loves) but when the pickiness sets in she'll only eat the parts covered in neutra cal out of the bowl. She's not showing any reason for concern right now but if there's anything else I can supplement her with to help ensure things keep going well, id be most grateful to know.

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
FYI- the queen I'm referring to in the above post is not the same blue girl in the OP.

Thanks Mods for moving this to the appropriate thread. I didn't want it to get overlooked but I understand it's easier to keep everything in one place.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The probiotic Fortiflora is often used to give extra appetite - in facto becoming an appetitizer. Have you ever tried this?

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The probiotic Fortiflora is often used to give extra appetite - in facto becoming an appetitizer. Have you ever tried this?
I have not. I'll definitely check into it. Is this something I should ask my vet about or is it relatively safe for use with lactating moms?

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
StefanZ StefanZ although now that I'm thinking back, appetite stimulation isn't the problem I don't think. She stopped wanting her cat food and became ravenous with people food. Obviously I can't allow her to eat human food. I did boil chicken for a brief time when this problem first manifested last year but I know that is a very short term solution and still doesn't come anywhere close to supplying her with what she needs. She was on Iams kitten food back then though so I was really hoping the Blue Buffalo Wilderness Grain Free, along with plenty of wet food, would prevent this isssue this time around.

This morning she didn't eat like she usually does. That's what initially prompted my post. She seems to be eating better now and earlier this afternoon, but it did make me wonder if this could be a bad sign.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Fortiflora is an entirely harmless probiotic. But if you want to ask your vet, please do. :)

Now, being an appetizer doesnt only means better overall appetizer. Here it means, appetite for the meal actually served, on what the fortiflora is strewn upon... Its like when they say Bon Appetite in the restaurang - they mean good appetite for the food WE had served this second...

If its a pinch, you can surely make people food for her too. Its more work and planning, but its doable. If the problem is she got enough "fed up with" of premade cat food, but is OK with other, "real" food.

My standard tips; goats milk, cheeese, mild plain youghurt, boiled eggs and or or raw egg yolk are all useable 7 /11, and also contains calcium...

Last edited:

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
StefanZ StefanZ Are there any specific types of cheese that are best? I'm guessing you mean only goats milk cheese? She loves cheese! I'll definitely buy some goats milk... raw is best? Raw egg yolk huh? Very interesting! I never knew that was good for cats! Leaning new thing everyday thanks to you fine people! :rock:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I shall write tomorrow. But cheese from cow milk is usually ok, as opposite to cow milk. :)

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I need help!!!! The blue persian (that was given to me pregnant- unbeknownst to me - who I initially started thread about & hates me) is having her kittens!!! I've never had a cat that hates me give birth. She won't let me near babies and she's a first time mom. She seems to be ignoring the first one. Should I be concerned? Sarthur2 Sarthur2 & StefanZ StefanZ

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cats may not nurse until they are finished delivering.

Is it cleaned up and breathing?

You can rub it with a towel and put a heat source nearby in the meantime.

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
IMG_5456.jpg Yes, it's cleaned up and breathing from what I can tell. It WAS crying a lot, now not so much. She's very aggressive right now especially. She won't let me close .

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you put a microwaved rice sock wrapped in a towel near the kitten?

If you think the kitten needs help, you can drip some KMR into its mouth, or smear honey on its gums.

Mom is probably still laboring.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Take a deep breath and stay calm.

Can you see any other babies?

Where is mom delivering that you can't get closer?