Help deciding on a cat

soomoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitty of 19 years passed this summer and I have just recently started looking for a new one to adopt. There is a cute little guy at the shelter that I have sort of fallen for but I'm not sure he is the right cat for me. He held my gaze very well and was playful through the cage bars. I visited him a few times before spending time in the adoption room with him (which I've now done twice).

When I saw him out of his cage, I realized how high energy he is. Although he was interested in me, he was more interested in his surroundings which was really fun to watch. And at first I thought he might be aggressive, because twice when I touched his side he mock bit my hand and put his paws around my forearm. He didn't break skin or anything like that and let go immediately. The adoption counselor said that he showed good bite inhibition and was just letting me know not to touch his side. After spending more time with him on a second visit I realized that he is just extremely alert, playful and energetic. I also got the feeling that he had been an outdoor cat. 

Anyway, I really like this cat but I am not sure we are the right match. He is affectionate but definitely not a lap cat. I think he would be better for someone who won't be away 10 or 11 hours Monday through Friday. Also, though my cats have always been strictly indoors, I think he would be happiest as an indoor/outdoor cat. The counselor admitted that she also felt this way despite her concerns with letting a cat outdoors.

My question is whether any of you have had reservations about a cat but things turned out just fine. Any of you with concerns about a high energy cat that turned out not to be? I can't stop thinking about him and need to decide to let him go in the hopes that a better fit comes along.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How old is the cat?  That can play into his energy.  Also; if he is spending a lot of time cooped up in the kennels there he'll have to burn it when he gets the chance.  Especially if he is still a kitten at all.  

My experienced has always been; that when it's the right one, you will know.  

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It can always depend on the responsibility of your neighbors as well. My dad's cat Presley was killed after eating a mouse that had eaten DeCon. The idiot neighbor up the street from my father's house had a rodent problem in his shed and didn't think of the consequences this could have on the food chain.

Poor "Pres"... he was a valiant hunter and kept my dad's property (& everything within a couple hundred yards) rodent free for years. Only to be done in by his last meal.

I had inside/outside cats like Presley my whole life until then. Now, it's inside only for me. If,you live WAAAYYY out in the country with no neighbors maybe, but I wouldn't risk it. People are idiots.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
High energy cats needn't be indoor/outdoor (unless you've got a cat proof garden or enclosure)
I breed a high energy breed, they just need extra attention and playtime, having more than one is also good regardless of activity level - many cats enjoy having a buddy

Kittens will usually be energetic and playful, and also bite depending how they're brought up, likely not agression.

As already said being in a small cage could be part of his energy levels right now, my opinion is if you're doubting it he's not the one

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you want a lap cat, don't look at kittens, look at older cats that have less of a chance of being adopted. Give Them the chance to be free. :nod:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

soomoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I thought I would know without a doubt, but since I have doubts yet can't stop thinking about him, I'm confused!

He's 4 years old. It did occur to me that maybe his personality is magnified because he's been in a cage, and that he's not really as super-duper high energy as he seems. I do want a cat with personality and that's why I liked him. I don't need a lap cat, but I would like a cat that can sit next to me and relax.

Thanks guys, this is good food for thought. I want to make sure that I'm his forever person too!!

soomoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, he kept looking at the door and under the door. That's what made me think he had been an outdoor cat and would be forever trying to escape by apartment. 

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may be that he was outdoor, it may also be that there is something very interesting on the other side of that door. At our shelter, the other side of the door was dogs, so if anyone was watching the door, it was actually because they were watching Out for escapees. :p

If you have doubts, it's probably best not to get him. The worst thing you can do is bring him into your home and then end up having to take him back. :nod:

But if you really can't stop thinking about him, maybe it is meant to be. Just keep thinking over if you could handle it if he did turn out to be hyper-active. :nod:

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with the other posters, and just want to add my two cents about something you mentioned--how you're way for 10 to 11 hours, Monday through Friday. If you do decide that this cat is the right one for you, and he does turn out to be high-energy, please think about getting him a companion so he'll be happier while  you're gone. That said, I second what Minka said: If you have doubts, it's probably best not to get him.

soomoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You guys are validating some of what I've been thinking which is so helpful. The complicating factor for me is that he is in a low-kill shelter rather than with a rescue group. So there is a chance that this smart, engaging little guy won't make it. And I'd be heartbroken if that happened. I think what I am going to do is call the shelter tomorrow and find out about how long he might have. If I end up taking him in, then getting a second cat would be important for his well-being. If he has time, then I will pray that he gets a the right forever home match!

I'm so glad to have a place to ask these questions and hear other people's comments. Non-animal types don't understand the importance of these types of decisions! 

soomoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have any of you worked with rescue groups? I wonder if they would take him if he was running out of time? I don't know how that works.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It seems to me that he's a great cat but could use a companion if you are going to be away that much.  I would suggest finding another neutered male of about the same energy and adopting them together.  They will be lifetime companions and will keep each other company while you are away. Get this guy and get him a friend, or adopt two brothers who are already bonded.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't worked at a rescue groups, but I did used to work at a shelter for a short time; you could merely ask them how long he has been there and how long he has before they would put him down.

But if he is friendly and high energy as you say, he's a very good candidate for the family with kids who are looking for a playmate for their children.*

*Note: I do NOT endorse this kind of match but... it's what happens.

rarepuss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would also suggest adopting a pair. I work Monday to Friday, Empty house 10 hours a day. I have 2 cats, brother and sister, they get along great and they keep each other company while I am away at work or on vacation. 

I had a solitaire cat for a very long time until he passed away. I thought about another single cat, but I know how alone  he was when I was away at work. So that's why I decided to get pair this time around.

I think it's incredibly  thoughtful to adopt from a shelter. I purchased my pair from Breeder.  Same breeder where my previous cat came from. I just feel when you get to know Your breeder, you get to know the cats, you know they are raised properly, and as long as you make sure you get them not younger than 4 months old, you will have an amazing pair for companionship.  Responsible   Breeder will tell you which kittens bonded and pick a pair for you, Try not to fall for how cute or energetic or good-looking cat is,  allow a person who has been with the cats to pick for you.

Please consider adopting a pair, and if you want a lap cat, an older pair, males prefferably. 

Good luck.

soomoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update - I talked to the shelter today and visited him again. The counselor assured me that he is in no danger of being put down and is considered highly adoptable. So I feel much better about his future. I think we are almost the right match but not 100%. To give him some PR and marketing, I posted a cute little video of him on my Facebook page.

Thanks guys! I appreciated your words of wisdom 

So, I'll keep looking . . . 

spottedlove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think the face that he was trying to communicate with you about touching him is a good sign. As a 4 year old male they sometimes do not let just anyone touch them. Not until they get to know them. Kind of like kissing on the first date.  One of my boys, Smacky, when I first got him he would give me warnings like what you described above. As time went on and he learned to trust me be became one of the loving cats that I have. 

As a breeder of one of the most energetic breeds out there I can tell you that almost all cats are or can be only indoor cats. I would go as far as saying that I have not met a cat that could not be an indoor cat. (Not including feral cats or any wild raised cat or wild species), and I have 2 F1 Savannahs. The only exception I would make is if you have a boy that likes to spray indoors it would make it very hard to keep him him indoors and enjoy your home.

I would get the cat esp. if you feel you made a connection. I would not adopt 2 right off the bat. I would also try to find out something about the history of this cat. Many times cats are given up because of a behavior issue. If it is because he does not get along well with others then you would be setting yourself up for a let down.  Many adult males do not like to be paired up with other strange males. Many times they will fight. It is also important to note when each of the males were neutered. I find that pairing up an adult male with a young female many times make a good combination (or older female with younger male). If you do have your heart set on 2 males I would strongly suggest this boy with a kitten male (male less than 9 months old) but only if here is no history of social issues with other cats. Many cats that have been raised alone have a hard time transitioning to a house hold with other cats. Trust me I know about this in great detail. Seyah my boy that died this year was one such cat. I have several videos and photos of him on youtube and facebook.  I have worked with breed specific rescues in the past but stopped after a very serious incident with Seyah.

Leonard D.

spotted love savanahs

soomoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey Leonard, our posts crossed. Thank you for your thoughtful comments! I'm so sorry you lost Seyah this year. I can relate as I lost my baby this year too (she's my avatar).