Help-deciding Between Two Kittens

Bluesun1967

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all! I found two kittens at a shelter and can’t decide which is the better fit. It’s just myself and my two kids, 10 and 19. But I have to choose without the kids present. They are both awesome with cats!

Both kittens are 9 weeks:

The black tuxedo female is very chill. I can hold her in one arm on her back like a baby and she just flops there happily and purrs. She waved her paw out of the cage towards me when I first approached but no clawing. We clearly clicked! She seems very confident with no fear or anxiety about all the action at the shelter. My only concern is she’s a female and I had been leaning towards a male because in my experience they are more affectionate and tolerant. But one of the shelter helpers said when she personally tried to pick her up, she wanted nothing to do with her! Not aggressive but just wasn’t interested. She was surprised when she saw how I interacted with her. I guess hearing how she didn’t like the shelter volunteer concerned me but I couldn’t believe she was talking about the same cat. All the volunteers were commenting about how they had not seen her interact with anyone like she did with me.

The solid gray short hair is a male and has a super sweet face. Lots of eye squints! He’s a shelter favorite because I’m told he’s affectionate and very talkative. They said he talks to them whenever they walk by. When I picked him up, he seemed a bit more anxious and was kneading at my clothes a lot like a nursing kitten. He buried his face in my neck hard and snuggled up. He seemed like he just wanted or needed something! I had to tear his claws from my shirt whereas the female never stuck out her claws once. The male’s behavior was actually adorable but I was concerned that he might lack confidence or too needy? He wasn’t as interested in me holding him as long as the female but in fairness he had just awoken from a nap whereas the female was already awake.

But my kids want an affectionate cat that wants to be with them and he probably would be that way...but I’m curious about the behavior as a concern or not? It that lack of confidence? The talking and clinging to me? He did seem more concerned about the action of people in the shelter too whereas the female was unphased but curious.

I’ve only owned strays off the street a bit older so adopting this young is new for me and I wanna make the best choice. The shelter staff swears by the gray male but I bonded with the female more!

Hmmm..what to do!!??

qissycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It sounds like your heart is set on the female, so go with that one! I have two females - one of them is SUPER affectionate and the other is affectionate too but more on her terms. The stereotype that females are not as affectionate as males, I don’t see. I’ve had both males and females and they range from super affectionate to not-so, but it's not because of their sex, it's just their personality.

Although I must say that the male is tugging on my heart-strings a little bit, what with his clinginess and neediness. He just wants a person. Is it not possible to adopt both? Especially if they’re bonded, it would be sad to part them!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bluesun1967

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds like your heart is set on the female, so go with that one! I have two females - one of them is SUPER affectionate and the other is affectionate too but more on her terms. The stereotype that females are not as affectionate as males, I don’t see. I’ve had both males and females and they range from super affectionate to not-so, but it's not because of their sex, it's just their personality.

Although I must say that the male is tugging on my heart-strings a little bit, what with his clinginess and neediness. He just wants a person. Is it not possible to adopt both? Especially if they’re bonded, it would be sad to part them!
Thanks for the quick response! So they are not caged together and from different litters. So is the behavior of the male a good thing? It’s super cute for sure but wasn’t sure what it meant. It’s about just wanting to bond really badly?? If so, that’s something to consider.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I was looking to adopt my girls, I made a point of visiting the shelter multiple times and at different times of the day. The kids and I kept an open mind as to which cats we were interested in and which cats were consistent with their behaviors. Can you visit more than once? It might help with your decision.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm a firm believer in going with your gut feeling when choosing a pet. Every time I have adopted a cat or puppy, I've had a strong feeling about which one was right for me, and I've never been unhappy with any of my choices.

I second RajaNMizu's advice to try to visit again at a different time of day to feel out both kitties, but if you're still leaning toward the little female tuxie, there's probably a very good reason for that! I've had two female cats, and both have been very affectionate and loving, albeit on the shy or skittish side also. But I'm drawn to the shy ones.

For what it's worth, they both sound like they'd make amazing pets so there really is no bad decision to be made here.