Help! Concerned about enclosed litter tray

minxie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am looking to buy an enclosed cat litter tray as the sight and smell of yesterday's cat dinner is starting to get a bit too much!

I have 2 adult cats. I have a feeling Tinkerbelle, the smaller of the two, would take to this type of tray. But Gizmo is a LARGE cat and he can be quite picky about things in general.

Did your large cats take to using the tray? Or is it a case of trial and error? I can't afford to waste money ...or a litter maid!

Help!

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both Duke and Sibohan Started out life using a open box but Duke is so large (25 lbs) an inclosed tray is great for him.
When he had the open box he would accidentally overshoot and miss the box compleetly. With the covered box he has to do his business within the confines of the box. I find it much easier than cleaning up around the box after he goes. All I do now is whip off the lid scoop the litter whipe down the sides of the lid put the top back on and go.
Both Duke and Sibohan took to it very quickly. I would not suggest introduceing a covered box to a kitten because the opening is too high for little legs to get in and out.

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats took quite well to a covered box. I never tried one with the actual flap though. I now use a booda and i'm going to pick up a second one this weekend. If you do a search on booda domes you might find some interest insights.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took the door flap off the covered boxes and several of my cats took to it right away.
Some of them won't go in at all so I also have regular uncovered boxes.

If the smell is bad, you should change to a higher quality food.

frawri

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can also try what a lot of us on here do, and that is buy a storage bin. They cost about 6 dollars depending where you shop. And they are nice and big. I got mine at Wal-Mart, and kept the lid with it. I just cut a whole in the side of it, and my boys took to it right off. But I would keep an open lid box around for a little while just to see if they are going to have a problem with the coverd litter box. Good luck...