Help! Cat's Last Chance

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am cat sitting for a lady right now. 2 of her cats are pilled in the AM & 3 in the PM. At one point, I was doing Sub Q fluids on her kitty, too.

You can hire a vet tech, or just find someone trustworthy. Check with your vet, that's how this lady found me.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got a great idea! Cats love dirt... they love the smell & they love using the bathroom in it. Try putting some dirt in her litterbox, mix about 1/4 dirt to 3/4 litter (because dirt doesn't do ANYTHING for smell). She may just suprise you! And if that works you could use les and less dirt over a period of time and she should adapt! Even if she has never been an outside cat, it's in her natural instincts to go pee & poo in dirt.

Originally Posted by paigeandgracie

The vet said she didn't have a UTI because he didn't find any white or red blood cells, just some slight crystals and slightly concentrated urine.
... she may be pre-cystitis and changing her diet to a high quality wet only diet would help make her urine less concentrated. My cat had Cystitis and what that is is a irritated bladder from concentrated urine, he suggested a all wet diet. If this is what it is, she may be assosiating the pain from peeing with the litterbox, therefore avoiding it.

Goodluck, and please don't put her to sleep, surely someone here would adopt her if it came to that.

kit e cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would definitely get more boxes. Try different litters. Try covered boxes, open boxes, small ones, big ones, etc. Also getPill Pockets ASAP!! Works wonders for my cats. Also, amitriptyline is a VERY bitter, horrible tasting pill. Even a cat who will take a pill easily in wet food, etc, will probably not do it that way with the amitriptyline. A Pill Pocket should work, but some cats don't like treats, or don't like soft treats, like my Captain. Get a pill shooter from your vet. Or, what I do with my Bert, who is also on amitriptyline, and does not like to willingly eat the pill pocket, is go ahead and put the pill in the pill pocket and pop it down his throat. This cuts down on the bad taste of the pill, which will cause them to froth and foam at the mouth and generally be unhappy. He (usually) takes it pretty well if its wrapped in something. Also try Feliway. Expensive but some people here have had great success with it.