Help cats get along

MyaLias

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 2 male cats, neutered, very calm and friendly, never heard a hiss or growl, ever. 2-3 months ago, I took in a pregnant female because she was a stray. She raised kittens, they all gone, I got her spayed. I am trying very hard to rehome her, I don't want her, I was just giving her and her babies a temporary home. The whole time, I kept my male cats separate from mother and babies. Now that babies gone and mother spayed, I am trying to introduce them. I feel bad locking my male cats in my room, so I'm hoping the 3 will get along and share my apartment. The GIRL cat is mean! She keeps bullying my male cats, chasing after them, scaring them. Seems like she wants to claim the whole apartment. She invades their litter box (everyone has their own box + 1 extra) and poops and pees in their box, like marking her territory because she doesn't bury her poop. She sits in the boys spaces. I always see the boys huddled in 1 corner together while girl cat claims all territory. I have tried slow introduction, about 30 min supervised interaction a day...the minute she gets aggressive, I separate. Everyone has their own food and water bowl, but she seems to want to invade their food, even though her bowl is full! I am now separating them with a screen door so they see, hear, and smell each other but are not in direct contact. The boys are obviously stressed, not eating, vomiting, scared to use litter box. What do I do? This has been almost a month of slow introduction 30-60 min a day. Boys now hissing, growling...I'm rehoming her, I was just hoping for peace until she goes. Also, she seems lonely, that's also why I wanted to introduce them so she can have friends and play together.

angel3115

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Something a friend suggested to me is scent marking. Take a rag or wash cloth and rub it all over the mother cat, especially her scent glands in her face. Then rub it all over your boys. Rub it all over the mother cat again after that. Somehow the mixing of the scents is supposed to help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MyaLias

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What if they are just playing? The boy cats chase each other all the time, but they are just playing. Am I misinterpreting the girl cat trying to play. Girl cat seems very playful. But, when the girl cat chases the boys, they seem scared. How can I tell if she is being aggressive or just playing?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise

What if they are just playing? The boy cats chase each other all the time, but they are just playing. Am I misinterpreting the girl cat trying to play. Girl cat seems very playful. But, when the girl cat chases the boys, they seem scared. How can I tell if she is being aggressive or just playing?
  That's a hard one, but body language tells you a lot.  How do the boys 'seems scared'?

Also, when you do the introduction process you don't put them together at all for quite some time...

Here's a really good guide:

[article="32680"]How To Successfully Introduce Cats The Ultimate Guide​[/article]