HELP- Cat with FLUTD and nothing is working

bittykitty50

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
5 year old with blood in her urine

But before this started, she had patches that would appear over night, and I figured she was doing it to herself. The doctor gave me a combination of three creams which stopped it, but I was wondering if the two things are related.

koots

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think this Apple Cider Vinegar recommendations is trouble.  It is Alkaline.  Dangerous for Urine blockage, and then inflammation from straining.  An emergency to Vet then.  I gave my female cat once, very small amount and she was 'blocked'. It tool a Vet. visit & a couple of cans of Prescription diet  c/d to correct it.  But Cats can have either, excess Acid Crystals OR excess Alkaline Crystals in their Urine. Depending on their diet & other things given.  Vets test which.

lizng

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have had an FLUTD cat for about 10 years and it has been a long journey of learning, but we finally seem to have it under control and only recently may have found the last part of the puzzle.

Food: wet food is a must, but I found that until I started feeding whole / franken prey raw that I still had to add D-Methionine. Even on the ground raw diet, he still needed it.

Water: depending on how hard your water is, bottled or distilled.

Pro-biotic: this is the last piece of the puzzle that I discovered recently, I use a carnivore specific pro-biotic (dogzymes/catzymes) and add it to tuna water (can of tuna in a jar, add extra bottled water, shake, keep refrigerated). Since adding this, he has been even more happy, lovey and energetic.

For more immediate relief of episodes that do NOT include a blockage (blockages are a veterinary emergency):
D-Methionine (I have pills, so I use the technique from the catinfo.org site, split the pill, split a pill pocket, roll little balls and give tuna water to wash it down.)​
Onsior, which is a fairly new, but promising pain reliever for cats. The only on label use right now is a 3 day post-sergical regimine, so this is an off label use, but if I see him walking around still like he's in pain, I will give him 1 dose and it seemed to really help (again, I haven't had to do this since he's been on whole raw with pro-biotic, but I have it and the D-Methionine on hand just in case).​

shamansdance

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry, but apple cider vinegar or any vinegar is NOT alkaline. It is mostly acetic acid and water, produced by mixing acetic bacteria into ethanol (grain alcohol) and fermenting it. It is the cheapest and most commonly used mild acid in the world. Check it out on Wikpedia or better yet, on the definitive source - "The Journal of Biochemistry" (http://jb.oxfordjournals.org/content/46/9/1217.extract#). But you're right that you can over-acidify a cat's urine, but not just with apple cider vinegar, with any acidifier including L-Methionine and other vet prescribed acidifiers.

I've run an animal rescue for 16 years and have cared for many, many cats. My acidifier of choice is organic Bragg apple cider vinegar "with the Mother" (the mother is the acetic bacteria used to ferment the ethanol into vinegar), available at almost any health food store and even in some supermarkets. It's cheap, easy to mix, easy to dose (doesn't have to be very precisely measured to still work well), easy to administer (my cats kind of like the taste or at least don't mind it), and doesn't even need to be refrigerated. I used to spend $900-1400 each time a cat experienced an FUS attack and the poor cat experienced serious trauma from the whole experience each time. Since I started administering apple cider vinegar as a preventative measure and the few times one of my male cats has showed signs of FUS attack onset, I've never had to spend another cent on vets for FUS. Only certain cats have systems prone to high alkalinity and crystals, so I watch for those and give them one eye dropper every day or two of a solution of 15 parts ultra-filtered water (no minerals left in it) to 1 part Bragg vinegar. I also feed them no dry food of any kind, minimal fish or sea food, and only the highest quality brands of grain-free wet food, with even the wet food watered down a little (but not so much they won't eat it, of course). I also make sure there are multiple sources of fresh filtered water throughout the building, changed twice a day.

I just had an incident today because one of my male cats got into dry food a couple of days in a row (it's hard with multiple cats to prevent this so by giving them two doses of vinegar solution on a day when that happens, I've always prevented any kind of FUS attack) and I was distracted with a project and forgot to give him his preventative vinegar for a few days. Came home this evening and he was in full-blown FUS attack, caused by the combination of the dry food plus forgetting the preventative vinegar during the same period. I immediately switched into treatment mode and have been giving him an eye dropper of 4:1 water:vinegar solution every half hour the past two hours. He was trying to pee every 5-15 min with the typical growling or howling and then hiding in some quiet, remote spot when I first discovered him. In just two hours - 5 treatments, he's already about halfway back to normal, peeing only once the past hour with no distressed sounds and not hiding anymore. Another hour or two of that continued treatment plus several treatments tomorrow should restore him to normal. It's always worked on every cat with FUS since I discovered what I consider is a "miracle cure." As long as it keeps working for me so miraculously, I'm sticking to this cheap, easy regimen for all my FUS-prone cats.

Good luck to everyone with your treating this terrible, painful affliction. You have my blessing for finding a way to prevent your cat from ever having to experience that pain and trauma again, or at least make it as brief as possible, with no incredibly stressful, expensive trips to and overnight stays at the vet.

monica horn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just wanted to post an update on Charlie.  He has been on the L-methionine powder (in food once a day) ever since.  No side effects.  I check his pH every few months to make sure it's still on target.  No more problems with crystals or blockage.
He DID have a UTI (no blockage- peeing fine just frequently and with blood) in late 2014,  3 rounds of antibiotics worked but ONLY while he was taking it. (and he was on extended rounds- I was not stopping too soon)   So I tried Colloidal Silver.  It kept the UTI away for good.  Kept him on it for 2-3 mo just to be sure. Never returned.
I continue to make sure our male cats get plenty of water mixed into their food.  Fluid is such a key factor!  Very simple but very important!