Help! Cat with a heart murmur on a long car ride...?

glloyd203

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So we just found out last Thursday that our cat Rosie, who will be 2 in March, has a grade 2-3 heart murmur. The vet gave us medicine for her to take throughout her life, saying that it wouldn't cure it but would help keep it at bay. He didn't do any testing to determine the cause of the murmur but didn't seem to think it was necessary (which now after reading more about it I think I will do just in case it's something we can cure). He said that cats with heart murmurs should be kept out of stressful situations whenever possible, but unfortunately we are getting ready to move from NYC to Atlanta, GA in just one week. She and our other cat will be in the car with me, in a large carrier that fits both of them and their food and water and a small litter box. We'll be leaving around noon the first day, staying in a hotel, and getting to our new house around 2 PM the next day. The vet recommended putting a sheet over the carrier to keep them calm and not taking them out in the hotel room. Basically I am just sooo worried about this car ride because my poor Rosie has always been so traumatized by car rides. Our other car doesn't make a sound in the car, but Rosie pretty much screams the whole time. The vet said did not like the idea of giving her any sort of calming medicine, not sure why, but maybe he was afraid it would affect the heart issue more. Should I be worried about the stress of the car ride having a terrible effect on my Rosie!?

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

So we just found out last Thursday that our cat Rosie, who will be 2 in March, has a grade 2-3 heart murmur. The vet gave us medicine for her to take throughout her life, saying that it wouldn't cure it but would help keep it at bay. He didn't do any testing to determine the cause of the murmur but didn't seem to think it was necessary (which now after reading more about it I think I will do just in case it's something we can cure). He said that cats with heart murmurs should be kept out of stressful situations whenever possible, but unfortunately we are getting ready to move from NYC to Atlanta, GA in just one week. She and our other cat will be in the car with me, in a large carrier that fits both of them and their food and water and a small litter box. We'll be leaving around noon the first day, staying in a hotel, and getting to our new house around 2 PM the next day. The vet recommended putting a sheet over the carrier to keep them calm and not taking them out in the hotel room. Basically I am just sooo worried about this car ride because my poor Rosie has always been so traumatized by car rides. Our other car doesn't make a sound in the car, but Rosie pretty much screams the whole time. The vet said did not like the idea of giving her any sort of calming medicine, not sure why, but maybe he was afraid it would affect the heart issue more. Should I be worried about the stress of the car ride having a terrible effect on my Rosie!?
It doesn't sound like a good time ahead, but the choices seem limited.  If your vet approves, Rescue Remedy is a natural calming liquid you can add to their water or squirt in the mouth.  Many cats have heart mumurs and they don't pose a problem but it does sound she hates driving.....

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I wonder if your vet was thinking an oral anxiety medication that can cause sedation vs a natural calming supplement? I can understand why the vet wouldn't want to give her anything sedating.

Feliway makes wipes that you can use to wipe down her carrier. It also comes in a spray that you could spray on her blanket/bed in her carrier. If using the spray, spray down blanket and place in ziploc bag for 30 minutes before you load her up.

Just to note...
There is a really good specialty veterinary clinic in Atlanta. I am drawing a blank with the name right now, but will come back and post later. I think Rosie would benefit from having a echo done. Not all cats with murmurs need medication. Or, she might benefit from a different one. Best to have her seen by a cardiologist when you get moved.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

glloyd203

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much! We definitely need a good vet in Atlanta, so do let me know when you find the name. I appreciate that so much, thank you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

glloyd203

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, I will ask him about that! It's found at regular pet stores?