Help! Cat Vomiting Every Day

kate4581

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My dear cat Lucy is 15 years old and overweight. She has had stones and currently eats a regimented diet of royal canin s/o urinary health food. She vomits almost everyday, and pees beside the litter box about once a week. Last week I boarded her with the vet while I was on a cruise and she did not vomit or pee outside the litter box a single time. She has been home since Wednesday night and has already peed once outside of the box and vomited three times. I’m at a loss! She is an only cat, and there are no other cats around. My husband and I brush her everyday, play with her, and give her lots of love. The only think I can think of is that it is environmental stress, but not sure what! Any advice?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the urinary food dry food? If so, I would ask the vet if you can switch to canned food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kate4581

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is dry food, and they said I should switch to wet but she was throwing it up. Her current vomit doesn’t usually include food in it. It’s liquid and hair. I also give her a lubricant to help hair pass through instead of coming back up - it isn’t working very well.

CurlyEmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with maggiedemi. I’ve seen dry food correlate with stones. A canned only diet would be easier on her carnivorous digestive tract.

CurlyEmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is dry food, and they said I should switch to wet but she was throwing it up. Her current vomit doesn’t usually include food in it. It’s liquid and hair. I also give her a lubricant to help hair pass through instead of coming back up - it isn’t working very well.
I would slowly transition to fully set, start with her dry food mixed with a little bit of canned and slowly add less dry and more canned.
The peeing outside of the litter box probably means she’s stressed or in pain. I would run more tests with your vet.

kate4581

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
But any thoughts on why she might be only vomiting at home and not when boarded?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe they gave her some canned food when she was boarded.
My cats could never eat an only dry food diet. They get problems on just half a cup of it.

kate4581

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They didn’t give any canned food - I asked.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Her current vomit doesn’t usually include food in it. It’s liquid and hair.
Maybe IBD or gastrointestinal issue? Not sure why the vomit only happens at home and not when boarded, though. Maybe the stress of being boarded somehow prevents vomiting?:dunno: You can ask the vet to check for gastrointestinal issues.

Is there anything your cat could eat at home that might be irritating the tummy? Plants, household cleaners, etc?

There may be alternatives to the S/O food. See Alternatives to Royal Canin SO