Help Cat vomited several times and had diarrhea

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
My 6 year old male cat, who has never vomited before, was sick last night. I found 3 pools of vomit and lots of diarrhea droplets in his box. He ate last night, but will not touch anything today. My female ate the same food and did not get sick. Should I be going to the emergency vet, he seems ok today, but he is not eating or drinking.

Last edited:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi bonepicker, are the pools of vomit undigestered food or bile or anything apart from the two mentioned? Maybe he ate something else apart from what should be his food that caused him to vomit and have diarrhea.
Maybe should just observe him for awhile and see if he is in any pain or discomfort. If he does seem to be eating and vomit again, take shot of the vomit and get him to the vet asap and show the photo to the vet.
Hope your boy get well soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
He only gets wet food and some was bile and some was a liquid pool. The dear boy never missed his box, but there were about 50 droplets, I can tell he had diarrhea. He is acting a bit sluggish but otherwise normal.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Did he missed his meal, thus the vomittng of bile?

Oh good, at least he's eating now. Just observed if anymore vomiting. As for the diarrhea, hope it stop too. But I suspect he could have eaten something else other than his food that gave him these problems.

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
Oh he only ate 1/4 of his wet food, he spit out his Purebites freeze dried chicken, and only ate 1/4 of his pride rabbit. He definitely is not himself. I know how expensive the emergency after hours vet is, but I am nervous, he has not vomited.

Last edited:

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Think better to bring him in after emergency hours soon and have the vet take a look at him. Otherwise you'll be nervous and that won't solve the problem. At least after check with vet and if medications are given, the sooner he'll be ok rather than play the waiting game for all you know he is suffering inside, this is not to scare you but better play safe.

gibs3444

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You could try some probiotics. I use FortiFlora by Purina Pro Plan. It helps with diarrhea. Good luck! I hope he feels better soon. 

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
There was no vomit or diarrhea overnight, he is not eating. A small amount of urine and a tiny turd. He looks normal but not eating anything.

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
I made apt for my day off Wednesday, I am able to tempt him with kibble which is better than nothing, he normally does not get it, he ate a few mouthfuls, then hid under the bed, he is not jumping either, I think he feels crappy! I know he has a heart murmur, he is trying to act normal, but I can tell he is not. He has acted weird ever since we got the 50 inch television, he is scared to death of it!

Last edited:

howmany

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This kinda thing happened to one of mine last week .wondering if it is the heat where you are? my vet had said when I called thurs that it could wait the weekend . There was blood in my cats , anyhow do you have a suringe could you force some water down?

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Hi may be dehydrated. Try syringe feeding him some cool water. Try to tempt with wet slurry type food. also baby food until your appointment on Wed.

Dehydrated cats feel lousy. Can you call and let them know your kitty is lethargic? they will more than likely do sub fluids to help rehydrate him then they may xray to see if something is blocking inside. they also may want to do anti nausea meds=these come as injections so he will feel a lot better but we still don't know why he vomited.

Do you know if he has a fever? IF you can take his temp it should be around 101.5 to 102.5 is normal for kitties. 102.5 is normal if they are stressed. If its 103 I would call and let them know he has a fever. This would be two things you can do at home=hydrate with water or babyfood and make sure no fever.

let us know what you think. Hoping that the vomit stays down!

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
I have apt late Wednesday, but I am taking him to EV after work tonight, nothing in litter box, no eating or drinking. He bit me so he is as mean as ever. Dad says no heroic measures, he was a feral, is mean, and bites. Other than seeming a bit foggy, he is acting the same. I can barely get him in a crate, I could never force liquids into him, he bites hard.

Last edited:

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
He ate several kibble and some water last night.(he normally does not get any) He had a wee overnight (thank god). He threw up the food however. We will see what regular vet says! He is also jumping on furniture now! He seems quite normal otherwise!

Last edited:

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Great to hear he is active again. But I'm worried about the throwing up of food.
Let's hear what the regular say about the throwing up.

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
Well $315 later, he had a fever so he was given Convenia injection which can cause vomiting and diarrhea really???? Cerenia for nausea, subcutaneous fluid, blood for lab SMAC,CBC with diff & T4, pancreatic specific lipase snap, some crappy prescription stew and kibble for nausea full of corn and rice. I am to call back st 930 am for test results, I put him in back bedroom in case he vomits all over. He ate a little wet and dry today but threw up or dribbled from but not sure which! The vet said he did have some stool in his but so he must have eaten something!

Last edited:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
so sorry to catch up on this thread....I am so late.

It could be IBD, or perhaps he developed an allergy to something in the food. 

Could it be to chicken. I know a lot of cats have allergies to chicken, as my guy does. The Pride rabbit is great--no chicken. Turkey is added to the others flavors..I think.

The steroids should help a lot, along with the Cerenia.... Good Luck...sometimes  you may need another drug to help 

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
He had elevated enzymes but no pancreatitis. He had started acting weird when our new 50 inch tv came, I don't know if that had anything to do with it!