Help! Cat urinating on bed. Did i cause this behavior?

tandrus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,
I'm very worried about one of my cats. Let me start by giving you some background. Both myself and my wife travel for work at times but rarely during the same time. If we do, we have a cat sitter come by at least every other day. This past week, I rushed out of the house to the airport leaving my cats litter box facing the wall. We were both gone for two days and this resulted in our 3 year old calico and 1.5 year old tabby using the restroom all over the house, including the bed. I felt terrible because I know I caused it. Right away, my calico was fine and used the litter box but the tabby didn't seem to need to. The day after, I again found feces on a mat in the bathroom and urine on the bed. I cleaned it, again thinking it was just anxious behavior. The day after, I left for a short time and came back home, only to find my tabby again pawing at the bed and acting like he was covering his urine. Sure enough, he peed on the bed again. I had to leave again but have a friend coming over throughout the weekend. I'm paranoid though that I may have caused him to get a UTI and now that I'm reading about it, it's potentially fatal and we are both 1000 miles away. What should I do? Should I find a vet to come by? I'm a nervous wreck and feel like a terrible owner. Please help!!

mewtantmommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TheCatSite.

Do you know whether your Tabby has used the litter box at all since it was put back to its usual positioning?

For two cats, it would be best to provide at least three litter boxes.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

tandrus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Once. He was sniffing a mat and I grabbed him and set him in the box. He used it. Other than that, no.

We used to have two large boxes but related to an urban apartment because of employment. They've been using one large box together for 4 months with no issues.

mewtantmommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, have him checked out.  If UTI is ruled out, you will feel much better.  Then you can re-train him to use only litter boxes for his pottying.

You will need to use enzymatic cleaner to eliminate potty smells at all those other places where he has been pottying.  Have you a black-light?

Last edited:

tandrus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do I need to have a mobile vet come ASAP? I come home Sunday night but I dont want to put him in danger if that's too long.

mewtantmommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, I think it can wait until his usual Veterinary care place is open for business. If he is urinating at the usual rate, and you do not see off-color urine nor indications that he is having any difficulty in urinating, nor any other indications of illness (besides this recent change -- his using other pottying places), I think his evaluation can wait for usual Veterinarians' hours.

Last edited:

mewtantmommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If at all possible, he should have a familiar guardian present when he is examined by the Doctor.

tandrus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can only confirm that he's peed once a day the last couple days. Both my wife and I will be able to take him Monday.

mewtantmommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If there is no change before then, I think that is a fine plan.