Help. Cat Seems To Have Developed Separation Anxiety Since Her Injury

AceCluck

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, Aditya, broke her jaw and fractured her cheek in December 2017. Since her I injury she has been very attached to me- probably because for about 3 months I was spoon feeding her every two hours and giving her medication multiple times a day, and even slept on the floor with her during the nights her pain was the worst. We have always been close, but she was a keep to herself type cat, and now our bond strengthened significantly.

She is mostly healed up now, still and will always have some chronic pain and we still give her medication for the bad days and she is still on a wet food slurry for food, although she does nibble on hard food here and there.

Now, the problem comes at night time. We have two dogs- one who is an absolute sweetheart, but getting older and grumpy. She is the one who snapped at Aditya and injured her. So we have to keep Aditya in a "cat room" at night time, which is a bathroom with absolutely everything she could possibly want or need-based except for me, which seems to be all she wants.

We recently moved into a much bigger apartment and the cat room in the same, a bathroom with all of the same things, but the bathroom is attached to our bedroom and she knows I am in here, so she screams at the door and scratches and puts her paws under the door trying to get to me. She is in there no longer than 6 hours per night, usually from 3am to 9am (I have a strange sleep schedule ) but now I am finding myself having to sit in the bathroom with her for hours to help her fall asleep before I can sneak out and sleep myself, and while she normally is not a cuddly cat, she wants me to hold her the entire time until she falls asleep on my chest.

I tried calling drops in her food an hour before we go to bed and that has not helped.

Any ideas to ease her anxiety and help all of us get some sleep? Any tips are greatly appreciated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AceCluck

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I apologize for all the typos- I'm not sure how to edit.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
As sympathetic as you might be to her meowing, the only way to get her to stop is to ignore it. This may mean many nights of no sleep but eventually she will realize there will be no middle of the night attention and quiet down.

AceCluck

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I assumed thatmight be the probably solution, but was hoping it wasn't. Thank you. Hopefully she will be able to calm down a bit after a while.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I assumed thatmight be the probably solution, but was hoping it wasn't. Thank you. Hopefully she will be able to calm down a bit after a while.
I have been in a similar situation and I'm sorry to say expect it to get worse before it gets better, but it WILL get better.
Is there any way she can sleep with you at all?
It's really cool that you spoon fed this little nugget every 2 hours or so and now the formerly aloof girlie is now your BFF. That's not something to regret at all!
Would a white noise machine, or even a box fan on low, help? Sometimes I think silence is the worst for them (and us, we hear every little meow, every little move they make, etc.) Silence is nice but totally different than the day time with TV's, radios, vacuum cleaners, the owners talking with one another or on the phone, cell phones going off, etc. Then silenc at night, some cats hate that.
The fan or machine..either in your room or the bathroom but near the door for everyone's sake. It might be worth a try.
We had a dog that used to prefer sleeping in the main house but after he became ill we took him to our bedroom at night, and the change made him act a little off. He didn't settle immediately but a box fan on low did help.
Another option is to feed her the biggest meal of the day AT bed time so she eats, has a full stomach, and will probably sleep it off. If she's free fed, this might not work, but it's an idea.
One more option (if she's NOT free fed and really likes food) is giving her a puzzle food toy with kibble and/or treats as you're getting ready to go to sleep, just to maybe take the edge off her energy level.
Playing with her during the day will help but even when we do this with our cats, they're totally nocturnal and our "Good night!" is their "Good morning"!

AceCluck

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been in a similar situation and I'm sorry to say expect it to get worse before it gets better, but it WILL get better.
Is there any way she can sleep with you at all?
It's really cool that you spoon fed this little nugget every 2 hours or so and now the formerly aloof girlie is now your BFF. That's not something to regret at all!
Would a white noise machine, or even a box fan on low, help? Sometimes I think silence is the worst for them (and us, we hear every little meow, every little move they make, etc.) Silence is nice but totally different than the day time with TV's, radios, vacuum cleaners, the owners talking with one another or on the phone, cell phones going off, etc. Then silenc at night, some cats hate that.
The fan or machine..either in your room or the bathroom but near the door for everyone's sake. It might be worth a try.
We had a dog that used to prefer sleeping in the main house but after he became ill we took him to our bedroom at night, and the change made him act a little off. He didn't settle immediately but a box fan on low did help.
Another option is to feed her the biggest meal of the day AT bed time so she eats, has a full stomach, and will probably sleep it off. If she's free fed, this might not work, but it's an idea.
One more option (if she's NOT free fed and really likes food) is giving her a puzzle food toy with kibble and/or treats as you're getting ready to go to sleep, just to maybe take the edge off her energy level.
Playing with her during the day will help but even when we do this with our cats, they're totally nocturnal and our "Good night!" is their "Good morning"!
The white noise machine and treat dispenser toy are great ideas, we will probably look into getting them this Friday. I hadn't thought of how the quiet might be making her more anxious.

I'm really glad her and I have bonded so much, it's an amazing experience to see her begin to trust and love me. She is definitely very attached to me.

I do give her the biggest meal at night, since she is still on a slurry as her main food source I normally give her a whole bowl before bed, probably equal to the amount of food in a typical sized can, watered down quite a bit.

Thank you for the suggestions!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The white noise machine and treat dispenser toy are great ideas, we will probably look into getting them this Friday. I hadn't thought of how the quiet might be making her more anxious.

I'm really glad her and I have bonded so much, it's an amazing experience to see her begin to trust and love me. She is definitely very attached to me.

I do give her the biggest meal at night, since she is still on a slurry as her main food source I normally give her a whole bowl before bed, probably equal to the amount of food in a typical sized can, watered down quite a bit.

Thank you for the suggestions!
I hope they help a bit!!
IMO the white noise pr box fan helps a TON to help sleep arrive, not only for my pets but for me. It does not need to be loud, just a gentle "hum" to drown our silence or any noises you may be making while asleep (turning over in bed, etc.)
We call it our "fake ocean", LOL. That gentle hum reminds us of the sound of waves hitting the beach (in a really pathetic, kind of sad way) and it's relaxing and drowns out random noises.
I really hope it helps as I have a girlie cat here that I had a similar experience with. We all lived together for years. This little girl was sweet, but totally aloof until I drug her into my lap one day and let her relax. She started purring. I said "we need to hang out more" and she blinked, purred, and started kneading the air with her paws. Since then I cannot pry this little chick out of my lap.

And I love it =)

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there some way you can keep the dogs out of the bedroom so you can let the cat out? She is very needy now and I think it would be best for her to be close to you during the night.