Help, Cat Ruining the House!!!!

justsarah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a year old Siamese cat named Yahoo! and I got her fixed in Jan. of this year because she was peeing everywhere and going into heat too often. This seemed for sometime to stop the peeing, but it return shortly after. I have tried a 2nd. litter box and it help but doesn't cure anything. I have also tried the "No Scratch" product to keep her from going in the same spots but that doesn't work either. She is ruining the house, what can I do? I don't want to give her up!
Thanks for your time.

Sarah<><

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried checking her for a urinary tract infection of some sort? Did you try switching the brand of litter you use? Also, you need to use an odor eliminator to get rid of the smell the urine leaves behind. You can try the natures miracle that you get at pet stores, I use NOK OUT, it works much better. Have there been any new additions to the family or any sudden changes?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

justsarah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply. Our favorite oder eater is "Simple Solution" and seemed to work great for dog messes, but not cat. It still smells. Where can I get some "NOK OUT" and how does it work?
We use cheap brands for cat box litter, and maybe that could be the problem? I've only cought her once peeing but I can smell and see other places.
We got a puppy this summer, but they love each other.
As for the vet thing, no I haven't thought about that. What would be the signs besides all the peeing?

Sarah<><

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I Private messaged you in return,just check your messages.

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please take her to the vet and tell the vet what she is doing. Peeing outside the litter box is the
#1 symptom of urinary tract problems!

If the vet says she is okay, then consider making a few changes.

If you use a covered litter box, take off the lid. Many cats refuse to use covered boxes.

Cats prefer fine grained unscented litter. So, you might try changing litter.

Make sure you have at least one litter box per cat (if you have more than one).

Make sure you scoop the litter box daily, and with multiple cats, scoop twice daily. Cats often refuse to use dirty boxes.

If your litter boxes are real old, they may have absorbed odors even if you regularly clean them.
So, try buying new boxes.

Make sure your litter boxes are in a place where the cat feels safe while going potty. If she is disturbed by you or your kids(?) or any other animals in the house while she is trying to potty, she will choose to use a safer location. So, move the litter box to a location where she can see the comings and goings of the other people & animals in the house.

Put a litter box on each level (floor) of the house.

Make sure you thoroughly clean all old urine spots on the rug and elsewhere. If she can smell the old urine she will think that place is a good place to pee. Use a flourescent black light to find old urine and treat all old spots with an enzymatic cleanser.

Try putting a plastic carpet runner upside down on the places she likes to pee....most cats don't like to walk on the "spikes" so they will avoid the covered spots.

Hmmmm. I'm sure there are other suggestions to try.

If all else fails, your vet can prescribe psychotropic medications that reduce inappropriate
peeing, but try these simple solutions first so that you don't have to give her pills the rest of her life!

Good luck!