HELP! cat peeing on MY things... not my mans!

bre cheese

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My boyfriend and i recently moved into an apartment (well 5 months ago) and we had some behavioral problems when one of the neighborhood kitties were in heat (OH goodness does my cat have a voice box!) he was also going potty on my things. So i got him fixed a few months back, the yowling at the door stopped. For a time i thought the pee had also stopped. but NO! everything! i had to move furniture out of my room and clean the floor and put a couch to block his way! that was about 4 days ago, well i have kept him out of our room because 1. i had to do 4 loads of laundry (even clean laundry) 2. i did not want to have to clean again.
I get into bed tonight and my boyfriend says, man all i can smell is toby pee! so i get up and ALL of my clothes are covered in pee!! just like before! i dont even know how he got in there, i just know he did not have a lot of time to do it! i am so angry, and i love my cat but i am thinking of getting rid of him! i cant take the smell. i have tried new litter, i have tried blocking.. and i dont think its a ut thing, because he always chooses MY things to go on! am i making him angry?? what would posses him to do this?! he even peed on my kitchen table!! please help me!
Bre

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS.

First let me say that it may take some time for the hormones to quiet down in your cat. A male will most likely not stop with the spraying immediately.

Is you cat actually peeing or spraying? Peeing could indicate a urinary problem that is very common to male cats. Crystals or a UTI. Either way, I suggest a vet visit to r/o any health problems. A cat does not have the ability to reason and "get mad" and pee to irritate someone. That is putting human behavior onto animals. They just can't do it.

Don't r/o a UTI just because it is your clothes. I can't stress enough to have him examined. Inappropriate urination can be a "red flag" in your cats health.

Please don't consider "re homing" him until you have him checked out. To re home him with these problems would be a disaster for him.

Let us know how he is.

clucas976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When my baby Madison starts having urinary troubles, guess where he pee..

MY clothes. Not my husbands, he pees on my clothing, and if he can, he'll do it while I'm looking. It's not because he's mad at me, its not because of any ridiculous reason, its because he's in pain.

Please have your cat looked at, I didn't think it was a urinary thing at first with my kitty either, it didn't seem like it, it seemed like he was just choosing my clothes for whatever reason. He wasn't peeing frequently, he wasn't behaving abnormally,(so I thought) and it only seemed like any time he'd been in trouble he did it. (he wasn't doing it constantly either, just on and off)

But guess what, I broke down and took him to the vet for a urinalysis, He has struvite and oxalite crystals in his urine, and had a UTI. A month later? he had a urinary blockage, cost me $300 for his 3 night stay, catheter, food, and medication.

If you have a male cat, you can't rule out a peeing problem as behavioral until you've tested otherwise.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Generally they choose our clothes because they know we are the ones who care and are trying to tell us something.

However, if it is indeed behavioural (more likely if he sprays your clothes rather than peeing on them) try Feliway

allid22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had the same problem with my cat when I moved. Someone told me that cats will pee on things that smell like you because the scent of you mixed with their urine is comforting to them when they're stressed.

My friend's cat did the same thing to her when she had a baby and the cat got less attention. They both stopped eventually.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't get him checked out. Please take your kitty to the vet. He relies on you to make sure he's happy and healthy.

rain drop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My dear Smokey did the same thing last year. I thought it was behavior too because we had just moved, but guess what? I brought him to the vet and he had a UTI! I was so shocked and then later I was upset with myself that I let it go for so long because I thought it was his attitude. He never showed any signs of being in pain, but turns out he was :c He could be avoiding the litter box because he's associating it with the pain he feels when he takes pee. And by peeing on your possessions and things, he's trying to tell YOU something's wrong.
So please, take him to the vet first! Hopefully, it'll clear everything up.