help cat overdue is now 70 days pregnant

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Congratulations! I hope the rest, if there are any more, will be safely delivered as well!

As Stefan said, try weighting them when you can and continue doing so every day on the same time for the first couple of weeks. It's to make sure they do well and get enough milk from mom.

Keep us updated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

erinn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
still only one i went home for lunch and she seems in labor with a second ... had to go back to work. today would be 74 days so maybe pregnant longer with a smaller litter? no problems delivering the first one

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It can take a while, but it's really long. Does she seem to have push-contractions? If so, and they have been taken longer than an hour (You'll notice these if she's really showing her contractions by shocking her body) she needs a vet. The kitten might be stuck or it might be a dead kitten (This happens) and it's hard for a cat to deliver a still born.

The first one might have gone well, but this doesn't mean the rest will go fine as well. If she's not having obvious contractions but she's just relaxing, then it does sound okay and not an immediate danger. But even then, 8 hours inbetween is extremely long.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
still only one i went home for lunch and she seems in labor with a second ... had to go back to work. today would be 74 days so maybe pregnant longer with a smaller litter? no problems delivering the first one
I agree with Bianca. It it is a pause, now strain, no visible problems, you can probably wait and see - be vigilant, but dont need to panic.  Such pauses can be quite long, even if most often they are just hours.

But the following kittens after the first, should go much easier than the first.  Thus, if she has active labor fruitlessly,  contact your vet after 40-60 minutes, not longer.

erinn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
still only 1 kitten, i have no scale to weigh hom but he is doing good eating alot. i have a concern though he is calico and i read male calico may have problems?

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Lets hope it was just one, so it wont be  complications with the mom.

Re calico boys.  They themselves dont need to have problems,  But they may be sterile.   Which is no big business for you, as you will surely neuter him anyway.

If it is only one kitten, and if you prefer to have more kittens so they can learn from each other, you can perhaps let your mom be fostering some extra kittens?

Just make sure they fosterlings are reasonable healthy, you dont want to draw on yourself some contagion which perhaps killed the mom.

Hear with the vets around, and perhaps also the shelter around, if they need a couple places for new born kittens.

Good luck!

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Does mom seem finished and feel "empty"? But congratulations with your one baby, who is doing good!

Are you sure he is a boy? If so, don't worry, tortie males might have problems with producing offspring, but nothing really bad other than that (As far as I know).

Enjoy your kitten, and don't feel shy to occasionally update us with pretty pictures of the little one and mom!

erinn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

she had just one kitten , he is doing great!

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
@Erinn   My cat was a single kitten and didn't have any play mates other than his momma.  He still did great because his mom was very patient and played and played to make sure he learned how to be a cat so I hope your little baby is just as lucky.  Actually he was completely pampered.  LoL.   All his momma's cream until he was 15 weeks old.   The main lesson the kitten will need to learn from the humans who are in contact is how bites and scratches hurt people so make sure once he starts to interact with you / others you have a nice consistent and gentle sound for him to learn when he is hurting you.  A little ouch or something.   The other thing to think about if you don't plan on keeping this lovely little kitten to your self is that a single cat home may be easier to cope with unless he is introduced to other young kittens quite soon.  This is because he will not learn as many cat communication and social rules as kittens how have had siblings.

Single kittens do sometimes happen for first time mothers and also can run in families so it could be your cat has relatives who were single kittens or was one herself.   Mouse's grandmother was a single cat.