HELP...cat not eating...

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That was a dramatic improvement! Especially re the creatinine! My one observation is that her just normal potassium level dropped to a bit below normal. I'd ask the group if they feel you should ask your vet about supplementing the potassium (so much fun...you don't want low potassium, you do want lower phosphorus
)

You are really doing an excellent job..and yes, renal food or special dietary approach will always be necessary to take as much stress as you can take, off the kidneys.

Inappetance is such a puzzle with crf kitties, I've tried *many* approaches with Patrick! Besides tuna juice, you can try shaved bonito flakes...either the 'for pets' Kitty Kaviar (and the knock-offs) or simply go to an Asian market and get their dried bonito flakes (used to make broth...ever watch Iron Chef? The handfuls of pale yellow fish flakes that goes into one chef's "broth of vigor" are simply bonito flakes
)

No matter how icky Patrick feels there are 3 things he will always eat a bit more of when they are sprinkled atop his food - kitty kaviar, rosie's rosedust and wildside salmon. All 3 *are* high protein, but nothing else - no added carbs or preservatives etc., they are good quality protein, and just a bit of any of these 3 will work for Patrick (I crumble the freeze-dried cubes of wildside salmon).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

celerystalksme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CTCat

Wow! I would love to have MY cat have YOUR cat's BUN, creatinine and phosphorus levels. I wonder why she doesn't want to eat???? Did they ever do x-rays or ultrasound of her abdomen?
the vet felt around her abdomen for hard stool or obstructions...she said she didn't feel anything. and Angel has been pooping pretty regularly. vet didn't do a x-ray or ultrasound though. what would they be used to detect?

she acts hungry...and eats a teeny bit of dry food. not sure why she all of a sudden detests canned food.

luckily, she's really become very cooperative to syringe feeding. she hardly struggles at all anymore. and she swallows every last bit instead of trying to spit it out. so at least that's good.

i'm gonna have to bring up her appetite again at our next appointment in a few weeks if Angel's appetite doesn't REALLY pick up...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

celerystalksme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

That was a dramatic improvement! Especially re the creatinine! My one observation is that her just normal potassium level dropped to a bit below normal. I'd ask the group if they feel you should ask your vet about supplementing the potassium (so much fun...you don't want low potassium, you do want lower phosphorus
)
Another mentioned that as well. I wonder though...could the low potassium be normal for my kitty? OR could the low potassium be caused by something other than CRF?

The reason I ask is...when I went to the vet today to ask for copies of her bloodwork, they gave me copies of ALL her bloodwork. That includes stuff from 2003, 2002, etc. Her potassium has been slightly in the lower range in all her bloodworks...even before showing any signs of CRF.

What's up with that? Any ideas?

But I'll definitely bring it up with the vet...see what she thinks.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just caught up on email and saw the responses you got...all I know is there is an optimal potassium level for crf kitties...so no matter what she was before, it needs to be dealt with now. Muscle wasting is something you want to try to prevent or minimize as much as possible.

I am still learning from the folks on that list! I noticed they brought up CO2, and determining if metabolic acidosis is involved or not, and what to check to be sure it's not, and I had not even thought to mention that re your lab results.

The U/S would allow a look both at the size and shape of the kidneys, plus a good look at the intestines as well.