HELP, cat is attacking 6 year old

wasabii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 1 year old cat, Simba, has been attacking my son for a while now. I always witness it and it is always when he isn't even paying mind to the cat, usually if he is playing with toys or a game or watching tv. He lunges at him with his claws and teeth and leaves marks every time. It doesn't happen every single day but I'd say at least every 2-3.  When my son pets him he doesn't mind at all and enjoys it, so its not that he doesn't like my son ( I don't think?)  He had actually been attacking all of us until we got our kitten, who Simba adores by the way, play with her, grooms her, and in general since we got her he has been a MUCH nicer cat, except to my son, whom he still lunges at regularly.  
  (she really helps with wearing him out by running and playing with him so much)

I'll answer ANY questions that you guys need to help me out. Some info that may be helpful:
He was fixed about 6 months ago

He was a rescued bottle baby, so I understand there are always problems to come from these kitties (hr has been with us since 3 weeks old)

He plays with me with toys all of the time and plays with the kitten any time he is awake as well, and gets 3-4 small feedings throughout the day so I don't believe he is hungry.

My son has autism and he really can't handle all of these attacks, and I quite frankly don't want him to have to.  
 He will scream afterwards for a long time and usually afterwards the cat runs away from the scene. I just want to know why he now only targets my son with this aggression but has gotten better with me and my boyfriend. (he still does not like visitors, which I get very rarely)

He has lunged at his legs, back, and even face. He had two large bite marks on his forehead for his birthday party last week, the cat had bitten his forehead so hard that it left bruising around the bite marks. Please help me, o' knowledgeable kitty people.

kirathecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, i'm so sorry your family is going through this. It sounds terrible.

The fact that your cat is still very young and that getting him a playmate improved his behavior suggests that it could be play aggression.  

Do attacks happen at a certain time of day? At a certain place/places? Do they happen before you had a chance to play with Simba or regardless? What does Simba typically do right before attacking?

You also said that it doesn't happen every day. Does kitty attacks your son on days when you didn't play with him or played with him very little? Is it possible, that Simba just has way too much energy and it's not being drained enough during play with another kitten and interactive toys?

The fact that the cat attacks only your son makes me wonder if your son moves a certain way before Simba lunges at him that make the cat think that he is playing? Like shaking a foot or something? Or wiggling toes? In no way i'm suggesting that it's your kid's fault, just trying to understand what could be triggering your cat to act this way.

Who plays with the cat most of the time? Just you? Or everybody? Does your son play with Simba? Or is he too afraid of him now after all he's been through? When people are scared of a cat they tend to act unsure, make a lot of unsure jerky movements and it could provoke the cat.

If the attacks are completely unpredictable and random, for example, cat is relaxed, ears are not pointed back, he's not stalking/hunting/playing, tail isn't flicking, eyes aren't dilated, and just out of the blue cat jumps on your boy, then i would suggest get him checked out by a vet, because chemical imbalance can cause unprovoked spontaneous aggressive behavior. It can be controlled by medication, i believe.

Just an example of how certain things can affect cat's behavior long term.

My parent's cat is really aggressive toward any stranger and especially kids because when she was about a year old my cousin's son, being a curios toddler, kinda jumped on top of her and scared the bejesus out of her, plus was really loud, which only added to the trauma... So now my nephews and nieces have to steer clear of her or there will be blood. And when my parents have company nobody can touch that cat. 

I'm  sure someone else will chime in soon. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wasabii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It usually happens after play time, like he gets too excited but somehow it turns into agression. Sometimes during play time, etc. Like when playing gets him too excited and somehow it makes him mean? His ears are never back, today it happened when my son sat down on the floor and faced him, which resulted in an attack but usually its from behind, when my son isnt even expecting it. There's usually no growling, ears laid back, or stalking before hand, it just kind of happens out of nowhere so I can never stop it before it happens unfortunately. Play aggression does sound likely though since its always after or during play. It's like mid way through he just turns on my son and attacks him.

Oh and to add, its usually me and the kitten to play with Simba, my son doesnt care to interact with him outside of petting due to all of the pain he's caused him through the past year, and my boyfriend cant be bothered with cat things lol.

Last edited:

kirathecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When you play with Simba can you get him to a point when he starts to pant? Like really exhaust him. Cats usually play for a while, rest for a few minutes, and then they are ready to go at it again. 

Also try, if possible, lead Simba away from you son during play time or play with him in a different room, so he simply can not attack your son. And really really exhaust him. 

Another thing to try are the Spirit Essences http://www.spiritessences.com/category-s/1879.htm I've heard some good things about them but haven't had a chance to try for myself yet.

See if Simba's behavior improves if you play with him more. It won't take forever to see whether it's working or not. I know some people with hyperactive cats teach them to walk on a leash as an additional way to drain crazy cat energy.  

If all that completely fails then i would strongly suggest a vet.

It's just so sad that your child has had such a bad experience with a cat and doesn't have any relationship with Simba. You could try to explain him that Simba gets over excited and carried away and doesn't really mean to hurt him. I wonder if you could try to include your son in play sessions just to wave a wand with a toy which should give plenty of distance from those sharp claws (have you tried to trim Simba's claws a little, btw?) maybe Simba will stop associate your son with a toy/prey? And he could also give Simba treats from time to time. I'm thinking that this way your child and your cat could build a bond.  

Oh, and try switching the toys a lot during play session to keep Simba interested in toys and not seek out any other target.

I really hope something will work for you and you can get some piece and quite with your family and the cats!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wasabii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When you play with Simba can you get him to a point when he starts to pant? Like really exhaust him. Cats usually play for a while, rest for a few minutes, and then they are ready to go at it again. 

Also try, if possible, lead Simba away from you son during play time or play with him in a different room, so he simply can not attack your son. And really really exhaust him. 

Another thing to try are the Spirit Essences http://www.spiritessences.com/category-s/1879.htm I've heard some good things about them but haven't had a chance to try for myself yet.

See if Simba's behavior improves if you play with him more. It won't take forever to see whether it's working or not. I know some people with hyperactive cats teach them to walk on a leash as an additional way to drain crazy cat energy.  

If all that completely fails then i would strongly suggest a vet.

It's just so sad that your child has had such a bad experience with a cat and doesn't have any relationship with Simba. You could try to explain him that Simba gets over excited and carried away and doesn't really mean to hurt him. I wonder if you could try to include your son in play sessions just to wave a wand with a toy which should give plenty of distance from those sharp claws (have you tried to trim Simba's claws a little, btw?) maybe Simba will stop associate your son with a toy/prey? And he could also give Simba treats from time to time. I'm thinking that this way your child and your cat could build a bond.  

Oh, and try switching the toys a lot during play session to keep Simba interested in toys and not seek out any other target.

I really hope something will work for you and you can get some piece and quite with your family and the cats!
Thanks for the advice :)
He has never panted before but will eventually lay down and be done with me and ignore me.
When I play with him I do it in a separate room from my son, but when he and the kitten are playing they kinda just go all over the place. (Its usually when theyre playing that he jumps on my son and not while I am playing with him). My son loves our girl kitten since she never hurts him and she'll lay beside him and sleep which he loves.
I'll try getting him even more tired with different toys. I'd also like to add that most the time he actually uses his teeth as he's always been a heavy biter and never so much a scratcher, but does sometimes use both.

Last edited:

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Bottle babies (and other cats who were separated from their mother and siblings too early) usually have problems with biting. It really just means that he was never taught bite/play inhibition (how to "play nice" so to speak). Meaning he really doesn't know how much force is too much when biting.

Thdre are several ways you can teach him that biting is not okay. Although I'm not sure which method to suggest for you since you say he primarily bites your son and your son may not be able to totally control how he reacts.