help...cat in labor :)

lawmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
a few weeks ago we "adopted" a cat from a family that couldn't keep her, and earlier today she was at our back door with a kitten in her mouth! she continued to appear as though she were in labor for quite awhile...then it just stopped. no more kitties and she seems completely calm and relaxed and is taking care of the kitten. every once in a while she seems to have heavy breathing and appears uncomfortable and licks here tummy, but then she stops again. she had the first kitten over 7 hours ago and now there are no signs of labor. is this all normal? will i wake up to more kittens? thanks! (p.s. we searched all around for other kittens, inside and out, and didn't find any)

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lawmama

a few weeks ago we "adopted" a cat from a family that couldn't keep her, and earlier today she was at our back door with a kitten in her mouth! she continued to appear as though she were in labor for quite awhile...then it just stopped. no more kitties and she seems completely calm and relaxed and is taking care of the kitten. every once in a while she seems to have heavy breathing and appears uncomfortable and licks here tummy, but then she stops again. she had the first kitten over 7 hours ago and now there are no signs of labor. is this all normal? will i wake up to more kittens? thanks! (p.s. we searched all around for other kittens, inside and out, and didn't find any)
Lawmama...welcome to TCS...is this cat allowed outside?? If so, she needs to be confined indoors only from now until she has weaned her kittens and has been spayed. It is not advisable to allow an intact female outdoors while pregnant as she could have her kittens in an unsafe location and worse...she can become pregnant again as early as a week after giving birth. It is not unusual for there to be time between kittens and if she is not acting like she is straining..then she is ok. Whether she has more kittens inside of her or not, I could not answer...but I would definately confine her and her kitten indoors.

Also..this post has very good information on delivery:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80724

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lawmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks katie. no, she doesn't go outside - just to an enclosed porch area. she must have been pregnant when we got her as we have had her for just over 2 weeks...and of course my vet appointment for her was monday! only one kitty so far and she seems fine, no more signs of labor, and is taking good care of the kitten. i thought it was odd she only had one kitten and was worried that there was something wrong with her a she did seem to be showing signs of labor for a few hours. we're going to the vet today just to make sure...and i guess we'll find out if there are more kittens! thanks for your help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lawmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
it went well, they are both just fine...she only had one kitten, rare but possible i guess! most of the websites i looked at last night made me think there were more kittens to come or that she was having some difficulty, but all is well now! thanks-

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lawmama

it went well, they are both just fine...she only had one kitten, rare but possible i guess! most of the websites i looked at last night made me think there were more kittens to come or that she was having some difficulty, but all is well now! thanks-
Good to know everything is ok. Keep us posted on the little one's progress.

Katie