Help - Cat got cabin fever!

slitty_kittay

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi!
Dax(my just turned 1 yr old Norwegian forest cat cross) and I are back with a little problem...

It is very cold here in Sweden right now and hard to let animals outside. I try to let her out for a couple of hours on warmer days when it is only a few degrees below but when it gets really bad, I dont want to let her out and she doesnt want to go out either.

This creates a problem - she is a fairly energetic cat and being inside all winter is slowly driving her crazy!! we have toys for her and we play with her but her energy is seemingly limitless. She zooms from one end of our small place to the other, swipes at our legs so we chase her, and attacks my partners workchair(which looks very sad after a long winter) while wailing with her ears back...

Sometimes she runs around so fast she cant turn corners in time and slams into the walls. She also likes to *bristle* up at me, several times a day, in a defensive arched posture with her ears flat for no good reason - like while I'm cooking or something!! Its very funny to see - but why?? It seems as though she wants me to play with her but how do you de-fuse a cat when they are out of control?? btw - she is already spayed.
A quieter moment captured...

cirque

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wear her out and try to find some interactive toys and perhaps a nice big cat condo.

You also might consider another cat, it sounds like she might benifit from a new friend to play with.

petnurse2265

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have found a laser pointer really helps tire Milo,Sturgis and Trouble out (the others don't care for it).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

slitty_kittay

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
oooh... laser pointer! Thats a good one. I'll give it a go, It seems like her style. Thanks.

whitby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I understand exactly what you're going thru. It's been an extremely cold winter here in Toronto and my cats haven't been out for several months due to the extreme cold. My cats are only allowed in the backyard that has a high fence. I've noticed lately too that all 4 of my cats are getting a little short tempered as well. Not to the extent that you've described because they play with each other alot, however they are starting to have their "moments". I find too that the laser pointer works wonders, or even a small flashlight. It can keep them amused for hours chasing a light! Hang in there, spring is coming!!! (I hope).

p.s. if your partner is also suffering cabin fever I suggest shining the laser pointer on his back and let kitty go for it!

slitty_kittay

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes - I hope spring will be early this year!!
To make matters worse we have an apartment on the third floor and kitty seems to forget that its cold and screams to go out in the gardens. At least once a day I have to take her downstairs and show her the door. She sticks her head out and goes "oh crap... I fogot it was so cold and snowy outside!" and then dashes back in. That seems to settle her a bit, but of course she forgets by the next day.

p.s. Thats cruel... ;P I'll give it a go... >:-D

whitby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, it may be cruel, but my partner sure enjoys shining it on my leg! We're all suffering from cabin fever. My cats do the same thing, when I let my dogs out they all come to door, sniff the frigid air, turn and run and swat each other along the way.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My some of my cats get this condition this time of year also. I've named it "the rips" for the racing around the house. Thankfully for me one of the cats is happy if he sits in a window in the garage!!. The other that it affected is very cold tolerant and will go outside even when it is 0 degrees Farenheit. This is actually good as she is a cat that doesn't enjoy cat toys. Just keep on repeating "spring is just around the corner"

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Laser pointers are definitely good!

I would also recommend a cat condo too! You can attach a wand toy to the side that Dax can entertain herself with - springing it around and jumping all over the condo! You can also play with her with it too, even while you are concentrating on something else!

Good luck with calming her!

slitty_kittay

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I Just wanted to say thankyou to everyone who gave advice

I ended up purchasing a laser pointer and she really loves it! it works very well - Dax chases it with so much enthusiasim that my partner is worried she is scratching the floor because she hunts it so fast! Everytime I finish playing with it I make the red dot dissapear under the refridgerator and thats where she thinks it "lives" so she has a job to do when we are busy too... she spends a lot of time guarding the fridge!! (Cruel - but it keeps her off my plants)
It really is a great way of getting kitty some indoor exercise and fun.
Thanks again for all the tips
Dax and Kim

qtkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You might think this is weird, but i know a lady in florida that her cats reallit liked this one .. she got a small remote control car .. not as small as a hot wheels but not HUGE ... and she would get it going around her kitchen dining room living room area since it was basically all open and her cats would go chasing it *lol* ...

she had some WEIRD and SPOILED cats so i don't know if that would work

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by slitty_kittay

Everytime I finish playing with it I make the red dot dissapear under the refridgerator and thats where she thinks it "lives" so she has a job to do when we are busy too... she spends a lot of time guarding the fridge!! (Cruel - but it keeps her off my plants)
I LOVE that it lives under the 'fridge! Well done!

roxy_loves_cj

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I Just wanted to say thankyou to everyone who gave advice

I ended up purchasing a laser pointer and she really loves it! it works very well - Dax chases it with so much enthusiasim that my partner is worried she is scratching the floor because she hunts it so fast! Everytime I finish playing with it I make the red dot dissapear under the refridgerator and thats where she thinks it "lives" so she has a job to do when we are busy too... she spends a lot of time guarding the fridge!! (Cruel - but it keeps her off my plants)
It really is a great way of getting kitty some indoor exercise and fun.
Thanks again for all the tips
Dax and Kim
I have been keeping this post in mind for quite some time,and today I finally found a laser pointer at petsmart (they kept it in the dog section, i never go there!) I brought it home and I took your idea and make it live under the fridge. Cj has been guarding it for about 30 minutes. I stopped playing because he started panting pretty hard so I am going to play more after dinner. I just wanted to say great idea, Thanks!

slitty_kittay

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Roxy_loves_CJ

I have been keeping this post in mind for quite some time,and today I finally found a laser pointer at petsmart (they kept it in the dog section, i never go there!) I brought it home and I took your idea and make it live under the fridge. Cj has been guarding it for about 30 minutes. I stopped playing because he started panting pretty hard so I am going to play more after dinner. I just wanted to say great idea, Thanks!
Hehe! glad your kitty liked it too!

mylilscout

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
LOL. This is a great thread!
Scout loves the lazer pointer too and he hunts it like crazy... He'll scramble across the floor, paws and arms stretched wide to try and get it as I move it quickly from side to side

He seems to get a great workout from it, and I see him panting when he briefly stops for a "Scout rest" so I know he gets a lot of healthy play time from it!!

roxy_loves_cj

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cj and I have been having a blast with that thing. He will stop for a minute and pant with his mouth open and his tounge hanging way out like a dog! He has always been pretty active, so I dont think he is out of shape (unlike his mommy!) but if we keep this up he will have a kitty six pack!

slitty_kittay

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Roxy_loves_CJ

Cj and I have been having a blast with that thing. He will stop for a minute and pant with his mouth open and his tounge hanging way out like a dog! He has always been pretty active, so I dont think he is out of shape (unlike his mommy!) but if we keep this up he will have a kitty six pack!
I know what you mean - poor dax hunts it so hard. If I know she has to be locked in for a while on her own when we go out, I'll give her a good run with it... After a while she just collapses in front of the fridge, breathing hard and sort of looks at me as if to say "no more, mommy - I'm tired!!"

elizwithcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hi!
Dax(my just turned 1 yr old Norwegian forest cat cross) and I are back with a little problem...

It is very cold here in Sweden right now and hard to let animals outside. I try to let her out for a couple of hours on warmer days when it is only a few degrees below but when it gets really bad, I dont want to let her out and she doesnt want to go out either.

This creates a problem - she is a fairly energetic cat and being inside all winter is slowly driving her crazy!! we have toys for her and we play with her but her energy is seemingly limitless. She zooms from one end of our small place to the other, swipes at our legs so we chase her, and attacks my partners workchair(which looks very sad after a long winter) while wailing with her ears back...

Sometimes she runs around so fast she cant turn corners in time and slams into the walls. She also likes to *bristle* up at me, several times a day, in a defensive arched posture with her ears flat for no good reason - like while I'm cooking or something!! Its very funny to see - but why?? It seems as though she wants me to play with her but how do you de-fuse a cat when they are out of control?? btw - she is already spayed.
A quieter moment captured...

Oh boy. If you wanted a quiet cat, you should have gotten a persian. My cat is always sleeping, it seems to me. Very low energy and no desire to run around like crazy. Seems like some breeds are just more energetic than others. Maybe if persian and the forrest cat mixed, you would get an ideal cat with just the right amount of energy.