Help! Cat gives birth to placenta fetus sack and no other kitten after!

Razia lint

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a Bengal cat who is 60 days into her pregnancy. She woke me out of my sleep at 5:30am today and was pacing around. She gave birth to a sack and inside it there was a extremely under developed foetus head the size of a pea at 7:15am, since then it has now been 15 hours and there is no sign of her giving birth again or having any more contractions.

She has been eating and sleeping well (she’s been sleeping most of the day) but I am really concerned for her.

I have called the vets but they are charging a hefty amount for just a consultation also an ultrasound, I do not work and cannot afford it. Her belly still looks a little big but I can’t see anything moving and can’t feel anything moving (it’s been like that from the beginning).

can someone please let me know wether there still is a chance of her giving birth to a healthy kitten if there is anymore inside her and why this may be happening, I would much appreciate it. I have attached some photos of what she had delivered when she had contractions in the morning.

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have a Bengal cat who is 60 days into her pregnancy. She woke me out of my sleep at 5:30am today and was pacing around. She gave birth to a sack and inside it there was a extremely under developed foetus head the size of a pea at 7:15am, since then it has now been 15 hours and there is no sign of her giving birth again or having any more contractions.

She has been eating and sleeping well (she’s been sleeping most of the day) but I am really concerned for her.

I have called the vets but they are charging a hefty amount for just a consultation also an ultrasound, I do not work and cannot afford it. Her belly still looks a little big but I can’t see anything moving and can’t feel anything moving (it’s been like that from the beginning).

can someone please let me know wether there still is a chance of her giving birth to a healthy kitten if there is anymore inside her and why this may be happening, I would much appreciate it. I have attached some photos of what she had delivered when she had contractions in the morning.
Yes chance is decent there will be healthy kittens after a few days.
As long she is ok no visible troubles, do observe closely but you can wait and see.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Razia lint

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes chance is decent there will be healthy kittens after a few days.
As long she is ok no visible troubles, do observe closely but you can wait and see.
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it! Have you had a chance to look at the images I have attached?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
R Razia lint It's not uncommon for a cat to spontaneously abort an undeveloped fetus. It usually means that there was something wrong with that kitten, so the cat will miscarry that one but not the other, healthy kittens.

There's a very good chance that the rest of her kittens will be healthy and she will have a normal delivery.

Keep a close eye on her. If she seems lethargic or if she starts panting and straining to deliver a kitten, but is unable to do so you'll need to call your vet.

Take a look at some of these articles so you know what to look out for. Do you have a 24 hour ER vet you can take her to if anything goes wrong?

How To Save Your Cat From These 16 Life-Threatening Pregnancy Risks - TheCatSite

Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens! - The Essential Guide For Worried Owners - TheCatSite

Post-birth Complications In Cats [A Comprehensive Guide] - TheCatSite

Razia lint

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
R Razia lint It's not uncommon for a cat to spontaneously abort an undeveloped fetus. It usually means that there was something wrong with that kitten, so the cat will miscarry that one but not the other, healthy kittens.

There's a very good chance that the rest of her kittens will be healthy and she will have a normal delivery.

Keep a close eye on her. If she seems lethargic or if she starts panting and straining to deliver a kitten, but is unable to do so you'll need to call your vet.

Take a look at some of these articles so you know what to look out for. Do you have a 24 hour ER vet you can take her to if anything goes wrong?

How To Save Your Cat From These 16 Life-Threatening Pregnancy Risks - TheCatSite

Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens! - The Essential Guide For Worried Owners - TheCatSite

She has been really calm since and loving just as usual, it’s been over 24 hours and still no change:(
I do not have a vet at the moment as where I am they cost a lot! And I do not work which is why I was seeking some advice here as I have no way to take her to the vets and they won’t see her if I don’t pay. By the way thank you for your response.

Razia lint

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Also now her tummy looks much smaller and there is no sign of any other kittens inside her belly so I’m unsure if there will be any more coming out.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I do not have a vet at the moment as where I am they cost a lot! And I do not work which is why I was seeking some advice here as I have no way to take her to the vets and they won’t see her if I don’t pay
The PDSA offers free vet care for people on benefits.

Find out more about PDSA's services

The RSPCA also has advice on what to do if you can't afford vet care.

Veterinary Financial Assistance In Your Local Area | RSPCA

Or you could try The Blue Cross.

Veterinary

Please contact them as soon as you can, so you know where to take your cat if she has any further problems with her pregnancy. They will also be able to help you set up a spay appointment for your cat once her kittens have been weaned. If it seems that she isn't pregnant any more you should take her to the vet as soon as you can so that they can check that she doesn't have any dead kittens stuck inside her.

If you're not a registered breeder get her spayed as soon as possible. Even trouble free pregnancies and healthy kittens can work out being very expensive. Just the extra food and cat litter will set you back a lot. And then there's the KMR, the kitten food, the blood tests and vaccines the kittens will need before they can be rehomed.

There's a lot more information about the extra costs in the article below.

Breeding Cats - What Cat Owners Need to Know - TheCatSite

Razia lint

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The PDSA offers free vet care for people on benefits.

Find out more about PDSA's services

The RSPCA also has advice on what to do if you can't afford vet care.

Veterinary Financial Assistance In Your Local Area | RSPCA

Or you could try The Blue Cross.

Veterinary

Please contact them as soon as you can, so you know where to take your cat if she has any further problems with her pregnancy. They will also be able to help you set up a spay appointment for your cat once her kittens have been weaned. If it seems that she isn't pregnant any more you should take her to the vet as soon as you can so that they can check that she doesn't have any dead kittens stuck inside her.

If you're not a registered breeder get her spayed as soon as possible. Even trouble free pregnancies and healthy kittens can work out being very expensive. Just the extra food and cat litter will set you back a lot. And then there's the KMR, the kitten food, the blood tests and vaccines the kittens will need before they can be rehomed.

There's a lot more information about the extra costs in the article below.

Breeding Cats - What Cat Owners Need to Know - TheCatSite
I have called pdsa yesterday but they said they don’t deal with cat pregnancies.
I am a registered breeder, this is my first time breeding also I would have been fine financially if it was next month to sort out all the vaccines and everything for kittens but it just caught me by surprise as I did not expect this to happen unfortunately.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Also now her tummy looks much smaller and there is no sign of any other kittens inside her belly so I’m unsure if there will be any more coming out.
Its very possible she has dropped now... This happens a couple of days before delivery... Yes, it often seems as there no longer a pregnancy...

The OTHER possibility, is she lost the other kittens as well, but did ate up herself, so you didnt saw nothing... this happens too.

Anyway, the advice is the same: you observe, but wait calmly... Prepare for delivery so you are ready for everything.
Either she will deliver in a couple three days, or its over.... And you can plan for a spaying...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps, I see you ARE a registered breeder. IF so, its not sure you want to spay... But think, being a breeder, you MUST count there are may be complications and veterinary costs... If you cant, so you will perhaps change your plans.

Razia lint

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you have a mentor? Maybe they could talk you through what to expect and how to deal with it, or recommend a vet just in case anything goes wrong.

If the vet knows your mentor well they might agree to see your cat and allow you to pay next month.
No I don’t have a mentor however I’ve called around and found a semi decent priced vet. I took her to an ultrasound and they said there is no sign of any other kittens in her but I am relieved that there isn’t any dead ones in her.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's good news.

Are you still in touch with the breeder you got her from? They might be willing to act as a mentor, or suggest someone who could be a mentor for you. It would be helpful to have someone you could go to for advice if you're still planning to go ahead with breeding your cat again.