Help Cat Driving Me Crazy

Astarti

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Freddie has a destructive thing going on, he destroys everything, he will scratch the wall paper, when we play with him he will bite and draw blood, he bites stuff to completely destroy it, he has toys he has destroyed the carpet in the hall way even when I have put pepper down, I am becoming concerned as I may have to re-home him which is something I don't want to do, he has all the attention he needs I am now thinking if speaking to the vets for medication for him as he also refuses to sleep at night i.am at my wit's end

kaleidoscopesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How old is he and has he been fixed? You can try the water pistol disciplining method

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Astarti

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes and it hasn't helped and made him worse and yes we have tried the water thing and he hisses now so it's not helping at all I am now thinking of taking him to the vets for mefication he was found tied up in a carrier bag as a 9-10wk old kitten so we adopted him

Astarti

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He isn't a year old yet

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Young active cats can be PITAs for sure. Not sure any vet would give meds for being a normal active cat though. And this is normal...I had cats scratch the paint off the walls and ruin a carpet runner. Nothing works completely since the issue is that the cat has an incredible amount of energy, and if you train them not to do one thing they will do another. If you get a second cat (kitten usually), they may play a ton, or not, and it may make a positive difference, or not. The only sure solution (besides waiting as they age) I've found is to allow a cat to be indoor/outdoor -- gets more of the energy out than anything else, but obviously a non-starter in many places. Soft paws (plastic nail caps) will reduce damage greatly, some swear by them, and others find them a prohibitive PITA.

As far as play biting goes, play with toys and not your hands. If they play bite say "No!" loudly enough to be a bit startling and stop paying attention to the cat for a bit.

Honestly, I don't mean to be preachy, but pets destroy stuff sometimes despite our best efforts to teach them. If that is enough to make you give up a pet you shouldn't have a pet, because its within the range of normal. If that was just your frustration talking, I totally get it. Young active tasmanian devils can be HARD.

Last edited:

kaleidoscopesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know if it works, but as a last ditch resort try pheromone calmers?

Astarti

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am not giving up on him I don't want to re-home him, Freddie has a habit of going up to my partner and biting him for no reason he don't do it to me I think when he was a kitten it must have been a man that dump him a carrier bag and then on a rubbish pile he freaks out if u attempt putting a collar on him we don't know much about his past but when we got him he was so frail and skinny u could feel his spine

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Astarti

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I love him even though he can be so naughty, he helps me with my anxiety and depression, he will react when I am not right, he knows when I cry and will nurse me x

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
and they don't care if I don't feel good! thankfully I have two old cats, one of whom actually cares how i feel, lol

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What a cutie pie. :catlove: Hopefully once he gets a bit older, he outgrow some of his less desirable behaviour.:crossfingers:

Astarti

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would never give up on him even when he drives me crazy he is part of our family, I really hope he will out grow some of his behaviour he can be very affectionate he helps me in return for rescuing him.
He is my therapy cat, it feels like he was meant to be here, no way would have I handed him back if the owner came back to claim him we had to wait 14 days before we could officially adopt him