Help! Buying NewLitter Box. Have you used...?

cmedeiros17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have the Tidy Cats breeze, which I do love but unfortunately one of my males (I have 3 males and one female) likes to AIM HIGH. So it goes over the edge of the cover and onto my wall and on the floor. It causes quite a mess and reeks. I started to tape a pee pad on the wall to catch the urine but it looks awful and starts to stink fairly quickly.

I really love this system otherwise though! No odor and best of all no litter tracking all over the house!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My girl Sadie stands to pee.
She requires tall sides to her box so that she does not overshoot.

Our solution was to buy an inexpensive 66qt. opaque storage box, found at Target, then use a hot knife ( got a good one at Lowes) to melt an opening in the side, so that it is easier to jump in and out of the box.

It works beautifully.

I hope that you find a simple solution.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank s to Natalie I use 18 gal and 30 gal tubs ... they are great

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlady2cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was curious if the LitterMaid or the Tidy Cat "self-cleaning" units have a money back policy? For that matter, the "roll on the side" type as well. I should have checked the boxes when I was looking at them but since I wasn't planning on buying anything until I got the feedback from you guys I didn't look into that. The store might be the middle man involving refunds but with a used item, (or unused, ha ha) it may pose a problem.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We are never sure before we buy a new item if our cats will like it.

I would check with the store where you plan to purchase the box...
a phone call about their return policy should do it.

I think that PetCo will take anything back within 30 days, if you have the recipt.
It is just good business to do that.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IN the short few months I've owned my cats I've tried 4 different kinds of litter boxes. Including covered.

I think covered is ok as long as you are VERY diligent on cleaning it out. Because the cats probably don't enjoy going into a stinky box that traps the air.

Myself I found the best litter pans for me are the ones they sell at wal-mart for 22 bucks each. they're covered and sifting. I remove the covers, but the sifting part is phenominal. If you don't know what they are, there are 3 parts. two pan sections. one liner that has a screen type bottom. You put the screen in and pour the litter in. Then to clean it you simply lift out the screen and it sifts the unused litter back into the box and you empty the waste into a bag. Then put the screen in the other pan and pour the litter back in.

It reduced my litter box cleaning time by 80% at least. It takes less than a minute to clean.

The only caveat I see is you really have to keep it full of litter because if you don't, the waste is in shallow litter and will stick to the screen part. making it a bear to keep clean.