Help! Bladder infection??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

drgngrl116

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks again everyone, now I need a little advice again -.-"

Since my cat's been home for about a week I've been feeding him nothing but wet food with just a few little crunchy treats a day. He was eating the food eagerly when i was feeding it to him earlier in the week but now he's slowing down. I believe it's because before, he got dry food at least once a day. He goes after the little crunchy treats like crazy, so I think he misses his dry food. He still eats it, but it takes him all day to do it (I feed him twice a day, once when I get up, about 7 - 9 am  {depending on weekday or weekend} and then again at around 5:30 pm. He gets a can all together a day) I was just wondering if that's normal.

Ok, now here the thing that's really worrying me. He's still got a little blood in his urine, and I can tell because he keeps peeing in the tub for some reason. The vet said that would be normal for a while, but is a week a little too long for it to be happening? His litterbox is in the bathroom at night though because I have birds and if I leave him in the living room he tries to attack them at night.So he pees right outside the litterbox when that happens. But no worries about him being in there at night, because he's seen the bathroom as 'his room' ever since he was a kitten! He goes in there to go to sleep all by himself. I just close the door at around 11 pm and open it around 6-7, when I always get up to...go pee.

Anyways, he also seems to be taking a lot more trips and peeing a little each time, instead of when we first brought him home and he was just plain peeing a LOT. He seems fine in every other aspect. He runs, plays, sleeps in his normal spots and in the same amounts. The only other thing is I picked him up yesterday and he meowed at me. Which is normal for him. He usually meows like once and then starts to purr when he gets comfortable. (He is QUITE the vocal kitty) But this time he meowed a few more times and then peed on me. I'm not mad at all, I'm just glad he's still peeing! I clean his litterbox like 3-4 times a day, because I'm trying to track his litter usage, but it doesn't seem like he's using it a lot. And when he does, it's all against the wall where he just jumps in, like he's barely holding it and he's jumping in, peeing in like 2 seconds and then jumping out.

The thing is, yesterday I took him outside on his little harness. He's a primarily indoor cat and he gets scared of the outdoors, but I just take him outside and let him wander around. He's been getting braver every time. Plus I don't let him go outdoors on his own because there are a huge amount of stray and outdoor cats especially around my house, and I don't want him getting into a fight and hurt.

The point is, when I took him out, he squatted and peed a decent amount. Is he just having a hard time controlling his bladder because of the catheter? Because like I said, he didn't really have that problem when I first brought him home.  Now because of the numerous small amounts of urine he keeps producing, I'm worried. Is it just an aversion to his litterbox? Because like I said, he didn't have that when he first came home either.

Also, I keep feeling his belly periodically throughout the day, and he's never bloated except after he just eats. Also, it seems like he producing less feces, but I have changed his diet to only wet food, is this normal as well?

Sorry about the long message, i just like to get all the info I can out at first so you guys know what going on and don't have to ask too many questions so I can get an answer faster :)

Any info would be appreciated!

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please check your PMs for a note from me. 

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the vet give you anything for either pain or to dilute the crystals that were plugging your boy? What, exactly, did they do when you brought him in, and what aftercare did they recommend? It sounds to me as if he's getting blocked again and I think I'd bring him back in; although possibly not to the same vet, especially if he gave you no aftercare instructions or meds!

How is your boy today? I HOPE he's feeling better!!!

AC

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure about cats, but in people the symptoms can last up to a week.   You can and IMO should direct these questions to your vet though.   They should be willing to answer some questions about aftercare over phone/email without having to bring him in, or can advise you to bring him in right away for antibiotics or prescription diet if needed.

It may not necessarily be a blockage, but rather a persistent bladder irritation to where it stings and it feels like he needs to pee constantly, so rather than hold it in until his bladder is somewhat full, he urinates small amounts all the time.  I'm no expert, but a full bladder should be painful if you were to squeeze it as you described.   Do you have an idea of the approximate volume coming out?   If its say frequent pingpong ball puddles, that would represent plenty of urine.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

drgngrl116

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet gave me some meds. 1/4 of a pill called Acepromazine 10mg and a liquid called Buprenorphine. They told me to give both to him twice a day for 5 days, which I did. He actually is peeing more I think now. Yea I would say the clumps are about ping pong ball sized. He seems like he's peeing less frequently and more, if not in his litterbox. When he pees in the tub, it's a good amount. The only thing I'm really worried about now is the fact that there's still a little blood in his urine. He actually does pee in his litterbox more than he did at first I think. I think I'm mistaking it for not a lot because I'm cleaning it out so much. I will call the vet tomorrow and ask them about it, as they are not open today.

Thanks for the advice :)

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're welcome! I hope your boy continues to improve!

Let us know what the vet says about the blood? I know he said you'd see it for a while, but if the cat's off the meds and it's still there.... well, that means more action needs to be done, in my opinion. And bloody urine means irritation somewhere along the line - which means discomfort for your kitty.

Regards.

AC