Help! Bandit has turned into a gorger!

3happycats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! I need help again with my 'handsome man' (as the vet calls him). When Bandit was neutered in December he weighed ten pounds. The vet said that was a good weight for him and to keep him at that. That was six pounds ago. I have tried toys that dispense food at a bat but the little guy figured out how to open it and ate all the food. o_O. my other two cats are browsers so if i don't put out food for them they get sick from hunger. What they don't eat he will and will even push them away to get their portions. I looked at portion control feeders but they simply cost too much. He's starting to look like he swallowed a bowling ball. Trying purina's healthy weight but that isnt working since he overeats it too. Yes, i play with him too and he will play hard. Can anyone help me? Thank you for your help/suggestions.v

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats can learn to eat when the food is put out. With the two that graze, try putting food out (portioned), making sure they know the food is out - if necessary by physically taking them over to the food - then wait 20-30 mins and remove the food. Make sure to give at least two feeds a day. More may help during the initial adjustment period. If you keep repeating this, the two grazers will learn to eat at mealtimes.

Supervise all meals, and consider feeding Bandit in a room by himself so that he can't bolt his meal then move onto the other two.

It can be done, but it will take a bit of perseverance and determination on your part. Stopping the free feeding us the best way to make sure everyone gets what they need. I've done it myself. I got my current labrador four years ago. The (then) two cats that we had were both 9 and had been free fed all their lives. Leah decided that she wanted in, and would steal the cat food every chance she got. The only option was to stop free feeding. They both adjusted fine (although they are fed 4-6 times a day), and it's never been a problem. Cats are bright...Once they realise food isn't out 24/7 they quickly decide to eat when they're fed.

That's the best advice I can give. It's the only way to be sure Bandit doesn't eat more than his share.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have one who would prefer to graze and has lost too much weight recently.  I also have one who gorges and pushes the other away to get to her food.

I am basically figuring things out as I go.  My grazer is eating from her bowl by my feet at the moment.  I have to keep an eye on them and feed them on opposite sides of the room.  When the grazer walks away I pick her bowl up and put it out of reach (she eats dry).  I will give it to her again a few hours later or if she is looking for it.  Fortunately I'm a stay-at-home mom; so I have this option.  If I was working outside the home I'd probably divide her meals into several smaller portions.  

As for my little over-eater; I'm not sure what to do yet.  She typically eats wet and finishes it in one sitting.  I feed her 2 small cans a day and sometimes allow her a small snack of the dry (because she wants it BAD and there are a few wet flavors she never finishes).  She just walked away from about half a can; but I had to leave the house this morning so I didn't supervise how much of the other cat's breakfast she ate.  

Feeding these two has become a project! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

3happycats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Columbine and MoochnNoodles for your help and great suggestions. I hate having to take up Lucy's and Puddin's bowl since I am not home most days but not seeing any options other than learning meal times as you suggested. I have started feeding Bandit in another room and Puddin will eat while he is distracted so I am hoping Lucy catches on as well. I don't like him being so heavy, its not good. Thank you both again for your help!