Help! ASAP

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Also remember that it is not the cat's fault- female cats make the fiercest hunters because they have to feed their family. Cloudy is acting on instinct, and I understand that you are a youngster, but I hope you don't punish Cloudy for doing natural things

amy-dhh

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Loveysmummy

Also, what about hanging the cage from the ceiling? I would prefer you move them to another room but if you can't, this may be an option, ,instead of having them somewhere they can get knocked over...
I was just about to reply and suggest this too.

Hang the cage high up from the ceiling, and make sure it isn't too close to anything the cat can use as a launching pad to jump onto the cage (no furniture under where you hang the cage). At least she won't be able to knock it over!

It would also be better if it's out of site (in another room) as a further precaution!

I hope you find a long-term solution... good luck

elizwithcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mz_ClouDy

Yeah telling her no, taking her off, but she dont stop .. ill try covering the cage
The birds need lights, so, I don't think it's a good idea to cover the cage.
Cats go after birds, it's their instinct. My cats also go after my bids. I ususally tell them no, and they would stop for while, but if I am not looking, they will try again. So, my birds now in a separate room. One time I was bird sitting and my cat jumped on the cage which caused the cage to fall over but the bird was o'key. Interestingly, though, my older cat mostly ignores the birds, it's the younger cat that goes after them. Well, maybe he will wise up as he grows.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mz_cloudy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah thats what i also think, i think its a phase.. Shell get over it i hope.. i only covered the birds at night so she wouldnt " be attracted", i wont punish her.. i never really did just that time, bc i didnt kno what else to do , and i read it on the "everything Cat book" about how that can solve behavior "problems".. As a matter of fact i gave her a treat and i told her that i was sorry.. Now the problem is getting her to stop climbing on the counter tops and the refrigerator.. Maybe if i just Keep her off , and when i catch her in the act of climbing her pulling her down.. Kittens are a handful but i love her

bigorangemenace

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
you could alway stry getting one of those cages that hooks on the ceiling for the birds. This way the cat has nothing to jump on an dhas to jump straight up to get thme, and though cats can jump high they shouldnt be able to jump that high straight up. Otherwise tell you mom to stop being mean and put her birds in her room. Who keeps birds in the kitchen on top of a fridge anyways?

nano

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know other people have given their opinions, and most have acted like this might be a phase or just play and were trying to lull you into thinking there is no real danger to the birds. But I want to plainly say:

There are some indoor cats who would definitely get at those birds and kill them. That is not an opinion or a vague theoretical possibility -- some cats would do it. The only issue is whether Cloudy is that much of a hunter. And that is something you really don't know yet...?

Anyway, I suggest you talk to your mom this weekend and say Cloudy is getting bigger and it is time you cat-proof your home. Go through each room of the house logically and take care of any lingering hazards. Things that she might break/damage, things that might hurt Cloudy, any other issues. And during this review, point out the danger to the birds and hang the birdcage in the best place you can to keep them separated. Then, if something were to go wrong, at least you know you had proper diligence and did all you could.

It's not an easy situation but good luck! You sound like you have a good attitude about it.

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitten doesn't like anything sticky. You might try puting some sort of sticky paper or tape on the counter that she likes to jump on to see if that keeps her off.