Help ASAP kitten adoption/health

nanazoe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,
My local shelter has a flame point Siamese 6-8 weeks old. I want to adopt her but I noticed today she has crusty stuff around one of her eyes. What is the possible stuff and could it be dangerous to have her around my new,y adopted 7 week male and older male cats? I need ideas tonight as I may want to go to the shelter first thing in the am.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be sleepy (like you get) or it could be dried drainage due to allergies.  Many kitties get some kind of little crusties in their eyes.  I just do the momma thing and wipe them out.  LOL  It could also indicate that the kitty has or had recently a little cold.  If you want to adopt the kitty, go for it.  When you bring him home, keep him isolated for a few days so he can get used to your home, you can monitor his eating, litter box habits, and health.  Get him to the vet for a check up before beginning introductions to your other kitties.  Any time you introduce a new kitty, there's an increased risk of upper respiratory infections due to the stress of the situation.

knic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it dark brown? I have a flame point Balinese and he gets crusties around the corner of his eyes regularly (like every day or so). I just wipe them away.  So it could be normal..I don't know about any health problems that cause crusty stuff so I can't help you there.

rnsophie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would say just keep the 2 cats in separate rooms until the new girl has seen the vet and gotten the all clear. If it's a virus they can be pretty contagious.

Sophie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nanazoe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I went to get the flame point today but she was gone. :( instead I was chosen by an adorable chocolate black smokey female who is 7 weeks old. Her name is Olive. She is a cuddled. :)