Help And Recommendations For Our New 6 Week Old Kittens

Lyoshka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HI there!! after a recent loss (our 17 year old cat passed away three weeks ago), we took in three kittens. They were taken from a feral mama at 3 and 4 weeks and now 6 weeks. Eating everything just fine and the boy is a giant, compared to his dainty sisters. The lady who had them fed them a mix of wet and dry food. Since they are only 6 weeks, I got KMR yesterday and started making a soupy mixture of KMR and kitten wet food and leave a bowl of dry food. Right now, to make sure they feel happy and safe in their new home, we have them in a flex room-a smaller room with french doors (will introduce to the rest of the house gradually). It seems a perfect space for them for now and they seem completely happy. However, one of the girls has very loose stool (diarrhea). With the introduction of formula, the boy's stool has gone almost liquid, as well. So because of the two litter boxes and cat food, the smell in that room is pretty strong.

What can we do to minimize the smell? Other than the plug in air freshener, anything to help neutralize the litter box smell?
thanks!

I tried to make the following into a separate post, but they got merged into one. Here's the gist of what i was asking:
---------------------
hi all :) Looking for some help and recommendations on what's best for our new 6 week old kittens. I have been around cats all my life. My husband and I each had a cat before we got married (almost 14 years ago). My chocolate angora Mishka passed away about 1.5 years ago at 14 years of age and we lost Damon's Cisco (17 yo) 3 weeks ago-large tumor in her mouth :( So while we have had cats for a long time, we haven't had kittens in just as long :)

We have a boy and two girls and they seem to be doing great! Adorable as all get out, gaining weight beautifully. A bit of a background: found them through a rescue- there were living with this family who took them from their feral mama (wetlands behind the house and a lot of feral cats) at 3-4 weeks. They came home on Friday and are estimated to be just over 6 weeks. I'll post a few pics :) Luna is the only one with the name so far-she weighed 18 oz on Friday. Her sister weighed 19 oz. Their big fluffy brother is a giant and was 26 oz.

what we are doing so far:
NUTRITION: The foster mom had them on wet and dry food (mixed together)-Fancy Feast. Since they are so young, I introduced KMR (GNC brand now, but ordered PetAg KMR last night) and make a soupy mix of wet food and KMR. They have a bowl of dry food available at all times. They are constantly hungry, so I'm feeding them every 2-3 hours now. They are LOVING KMR!
In another thread, it's been suggested to me to introduce some full far yogurt for them, as well as pedialite and some salt and honey. Will implement those. Do we just give them pedialite in a dish?

SPACE: they are in a smaller room with french doors on the first floor for now. We want them to be secure and happy in that room before introducing them to the rest to the house. They seem to be doing great and very happy and playful. Dog gets to come in periodically not to overwhelm either party. Ripley is 14, a lab mix rescue, so about 50 lbs. We are pretty certain she is a wee bit jealous of the kittens, so we try to pay her special attention, treats, etc. we started letting the kits out into the living room - i brought out their scratching post, blankie and a cube they can hide in, if scared. We explored living room this way twice yesterday, about 20 min at a time.

VET: haven't been yet. When do we go? Can i deworm at home or does it have to be done at the vet? I want to provide good care for them, but since we have 3, don't want to go to the vet for things i can do at home ;) Luna has very liquid poop and wondering if worms or some intestinal parasite could be the culprit. She is also the hungriest all the time and eats the most, poor love.
Also, at what age do we neuter/spay? I certainly don't want their big brother to sneak a baby-making session in :)

Litter-using clumping litter, but have been advised to switch to clay. Doing that today.

What else can you suggest for us to start/stop/change? They seem to be gaining weight beautifully and are all very happy to be with each other and us :) Any suggestions are welcome!
Pics in the next post :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What brand formula are you using? Powdered or pre-mixed?

What color is the diarrhea?

What litter are you using?

Frequent scooping is your best bet for containing the smell. Is there a window that can be opened a tiny bit?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Had they been properly dewormed? If not, its time for it now. Milbomax takes both roundworms and tapeworms. Drontal is another alternative. At 6 weeks they are old enough, esp as both are mild dewormers.

Some mild probiotic may be good if you think its the change of food causing the diarrhea. Even a mild full fat youghurt, preferably with lactobacillus and bifidus bacteria added. The brand Fage sold in USA contains such. But there are surely others. Raw goats milk could help too.

When they have diarhea, they need more of both fluids AND salts. Clear flavorless pedialyte is best, to give them as extra.
But otherwise you can begin with giving them some extra kitchens salt.
Just sprinkle a little. Perhaps also a drop of honey.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I mean, having worms inside do cause badly smelling diarrheas... So deworming is a must if not done earlier.
I done earlier, a second tour is often necessary after 2-3 weeks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lyoshka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! thank you so much for your responses!!! sorry for the delay, yesterday ended up being a busy day :) See responses below...
What brand formula are you using? Powdered or pre-mixed?

What color is the diarrhea?

What litter are you using?

Frequent scooping is your best bet for containing the smell. Is there a window that can be opened a tiny bit?
HI Sarthur2, the formula I have now is the GNC brand, I just bought a 6 oz can (powdered) and we went through it (one meal left) in less than 2 days. I did order the PetAg brand KMR from amazon, is that what you would recommend?

Diarrhea is a darker mustard color. Luna had diarrhea since they came home on Friday. The other two had soft stool that had shape still. Since introducing formula, the stool got softer yellow in color and a bit looser (expected).

We are using just regular clumping litter. I was told that kittens that young should have clay litter (so they don't inject it), which we did buy, just haven't opened yet. Should we?

Had they been properly dewormed? If not, its time for it now. Milbomax takes both roundworms and tapeworms. Drontal is another alternative. At 6 weeks they are old enough, esp as both are mild dewormers.

Some mild probiotic may be good if you think its the change of food causing the diarrhea. Even a mild full fat youghurt, preferably with lactobacillus and bifidus bacteria added. The brand Fage sold in USA contains such. But there are surely others. Raw goats milk could help too.

When they have diarhea, they need more of both fluids AND salts. Clear flavorless pedialyte is best, to give them as extra.
But otherwise you can begin with giving them some extra kitchens salt.
Just sprinkle a little. Perhaps also a drop of honey.
No deworming done yet, just confirmed with the foster family. Will order the dewormer today.

Probiotic is a great idea, thank you for suggesting! i will get them some yogurt today. and thanks for the suggestions on salt and honey. I'll include them in the next meal :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, PetAg KMR is excellent.

The kitten with yellow diarrhea may need Albon to treat Coccidia, which is a parasite. Regular worming will help, but does not treat parasites, only worms.

Kitten poop on formula should be light brown and toothpaste consistency.

Clay litter is recommended while they are under 12 weeks in case they eat any of it, so go ahead and switch.

Sounds like they are doing well other than the poops. :)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You will want to switch to non-clumping litter while they are little. Kittens will eat some of it, and you want litter that will pass through them.

Lyoshka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
will switch the litter today!

Sarthur, any idea where i can get Albon? is it available only through the vet?

Also, another thought... the kitten with diarrhea is the smallest, but is the hungriest all.the.time. She is the little boss director that announces that they are all hungry, goes around and watches everybody, is not scared of the dog, and is generally a calmer one. I weighed them on Sat to see how much KMR they would need.. Luna (the one with the problem poops) was 18 oz, her sister-19 oz, and their brother-26! he's nearing double the size of his sisters and is the fluffiest :) So it's not like they are suffering, they all have plump little bellies, but Luna definitely eats the most and is most vocal about it. Could that be another indication she might have worms?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The weights are excellent!

She may be hungrier due to the diarrhea, caused by worms or parasites.

They should see a vet for worming anyway, and Albon is only available through a vet.

Now that you tell me the weights, go ahead and try the gruel. They may be ready for it after all! ;)

Lyoshka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, i can't do worming at home? i imagine the vet would charge an arm and a leg compared to just buying the product. Is doing it at home not an option?

what is gruel?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gruel is wet food with kmr added so it's a thick soup consistency. Kittens can lap it up if they are ready.

It sounds to me like the kittens need a fecal panel in addition to deworming. Albon would address the parasite issue if there is one.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Over-the-counter wormers generally address tapeworms, not all worms or parasites. A vet can give Drontal Plus, which treats a broad variety of issues.

Lyoshka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here are our babies:)
IMG_9118.JPG
IMG_9170.JPG
IMG_9182.JPG
IMG_9215.JPG
IMG_9114.JPG
IMG_9234.JPG
IMG_9143.JPG
IMG_9199.JPG
IMG_9284.JPG
IMG_9148.JPG

Lyoshka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
understood. To the vet we go :)

I posted a new thread with a more or less detailed description of what all we are doing now with the babies. Would love your input on there :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kittens look plenty big enough to begin weaning to wet cat food and kitten chow.

Vet visit is a good idea. Vaccines begin at 8 weeks. They can be spayed and neutered at 8 weeks or two pounds. I recommend the procedures at 12 weeks.

Lyoshka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The kittens look plenty big enough to begin weaning to wet cat food and kitten chow.

Vet visit is a good idea. Vaccines begin at 8 weeks. They can be spayed and neutered at 8 weeks or two pounds. I recommend the procedures at 12 weeks.
You would begin weaning off of KMR even though they are only 6 weeks? (this is estimated, so could be a few days older) I was under the impression they need the nutrients KMR provides for a few more weeks?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can continue giving them KMR. They should be able to lap it from a dish, or it can be mixed into their wet and/or dry food. Kittens wean to wet and dry food at 5-6 weeks, but continue with KMR until 12 or even 16 weeks for the calcium and other nutrients.

When I said wean, I only meant wean from a milk-only diet, not remove milk. Sorry if I was unclear! :)

Lyoshka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sarthur, gotcha!!!! :) we are on the same page, then!