Help and advice for cat in recovery from pancreatitis

hopsmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there I'm new to the site but was looking for some advice on treatment for a cat dealing with pancreatitis. My 7 year old Siamese stopped eating and was very larthargic and started vomiting and diarriah last Tuesday. I took him to the ER thinking it was a poisoning but after seeing my regular vet wed the blood work came back showing pancreatitis. He stayed at the animal hospital from Thursday to saturday and responded well to fluid therapy but didn't eat on his own. Friday the doc put in a esophageal feeding tube which he has been tolerating well. He cam home yesterday (Saturday ) and seemed much more comfortable. He's purring quite a bit and is very happy to have his belly rubbed. He has not been vomiting but last night he had a bit of diarriah and today it didn't seeing him go but he had some watery poop on his butt Im not sure if he went ( I checked the litter box but it's the clumping kind so everything looks the same) or if it's just seeping out. Has anyone else had any experience with this? I'm not sure if this is to be expected since his food is pretty rich and watery to begin with or if this is something to be concerned about. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

ruthm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did the ER do a Spec fpl to make the diagnosis?    I am hoping that your vet sent you home with buprenorphine for pain, pancreatitis is extremely painful. Cats are very good at hiding pain, but watch for kitty to be sitting in the meatloaf position and lacking in energy as your clues. My vet advised 1/4 of Famatodine(PepcidAC); Metronidiazole for diarrhea;and Cerenia for vomiting. If your cat isn't vomiting, you could ask for ondansetron for nausea. Inappetance is another clue to a flare up and so is nausea(lip smacking, walking away from food after sniffing)  It is critical that your kitty continue eating- mine stopped eating her regular food and I had to work to find something that she could eat, it was harder because she was also diabetic but we settled on Wellness Core with lots of water added to maintain hydration. If your vet didn't sent you home with any supportive meds, I would call and ask for them. My experience is that the flare ups came on very quickly so I had to work to find a routine with Cerenia in place proactively. I hope that this was an isolated incident and that it will not become chronic as it did for us. Here is a link you may find helpful; hugs to your kitty to feel better.

https://www.idexx.com/files/small-a...pec-fpl-treatment-for-feline-pancreatitis.pdf

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hopsmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply! The vet made the diagnosis after a blood test confirmed. He did have a extended release pain shot on Friday afternoon after the feeding tube was placed. He got sent home with ondansetron, metronidazole and clavomax antibiotic. He is eating via the feeding tube I've been doing 60 ml in morning, 45 in the afternoon, 60 again for dinner and than a bedtime 35. He does seem to get a little nausea after the feelings ( he'll do the lip licking thing, and gets in to the cat chicken position but it seems once he burps he is more comfortable. Thanks for the link I'm going to definitely check it out and I think I'm going to call the vet in the morning to see if I can get some pain meds for him. I'm sorry to hear this is a chronic condition for your kitty [emoji]128542[/emoji]

abbybaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you are doing all that you can as far as treatment goes for what seems to be an acute case. If it turns out to be chronic, you will have to work with your vet to find the regime that works best. For example, my cat Bailey had shown signs of having a food allergy (some skin lesions, over grooming) so in her case, we went with a steroid for the inflammation and a hypoallergenic diet. She was on buprenorphine initially for the pain, but once on the steroid and special food, she stabilized nicely. She stopped throwing up, she starting being perky again, playing with her toys etc. But while that worked for her, it wouldn't work for every cat with this frustrating condition. Hope this was an acute attack and that there is a speedy recovery.