help after spaying!

yrzgry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hey guys! so i got my cat spayed on monday and everything was ok, she was eating less than usual but still eating. on friday as her pain meds finished, she started to refuse all food i give her and is barely drinking her water, she’s usually a thirsty cat! she started licking her lips constantly (nausea?). and on top of that, she barely used the litter box, and when she did she took a dump right on her tail.

today i got her on virbac rebound but only took it from a syringe. she ate a few teaspoons of food and then refused anything else, and then she pooped on her leg, both days her poop being wetter than usual.

won’t be able to contact my vet till monday, but for those of you who have gone through spaying, is this typical or something more worrisome? i adopted her about a month and a half ago and she doesn’t seem to be very food motivated.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How does her incision look? It kind of sounds like she might have an upset tummy or maybe still some pain. Check her wound to see if it looks okay. Any drainage or bad smell? Any real redness? That could be a sign of some infection starting. Every cat is different so she may be more sensitive but the thing to watch out for is any infection or incision not healing right. If in doubt, it’s always best to get a call in to a vet. I know you said you cannot get yours but can you possibly send a text, email or leave a message about her? For now, keep her quiet and no jumping around or playing. Lickable treats are something most cats will take. Keeping her hydrated is important so even if you can get canned chicken or tuna in water and let her lap up the juice from it that can help. If you are unsure of how the incision looks you can try putting a photo here. Although we are not vets, we may notice something. Although almost all of my spays have gone just fine, I did have one have a reaction to the stitches and one that needed some antibiotics. I usually get pain meds for at least three days. Pooping on her tail does kind of sound like she is still uncomfortable maybe? Not wanting to squat well in the box? By now I would be expecting her to be eating and drinking well. Pain can change appetite and everything else. If she won’t eat or drink, she will need to be seen. Try other kinds of foods and keep working on fluids. Please do keep us updated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yrzgry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
so i've been calling around and everywhere that's open is booked solid. I did chat with a vet online and they definitely recommend she comes in. i also know the vet tech at my current vet and she said it's definitely not normal and to call them asap in the morning.

her incision looks like it's healing fine, no redness or drainage, swelling has gone down, but there is a lump underneath the sutures. could be an infection?

i've been trying everything in regards to food and water, at first she'd take a tiny nibble or a tiny sip, but now she's outright rejecting everything.

yrzgry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
also to note that it was three days of pain meds, and once that ended i started giving her some CBD to help, but there's been no noticeable change with or without the CBD.

just trying to make sure she's at least hydrated but even that's an issue.

yrzgry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I heard of the hepatic lipidosis and thought it cause for concern, so I called the vet on friday and they told me to wait a few days and see if she starts eating more, doesn’t sound right to me. I’m going to call our animal ER asap, she’s obviously not in good shape.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could possibly be the oil used in the CBD oil. I have tried 2 different brands and have tummy problems with my kitty. It's possible that the stress of the vet/surgery could've brought on an upper respiratory infection. Try warming up her food to enhance the aroma and entice her eat, not too hot, but enough to make it stinky.

yrzgry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hey all wanted to follow up! took her in and she seems perfectly healthy, except for a little reaction to the sutures. did bloodwork as well. gave her some sub-q fluids and an appetite stimulant, and all the sudden she's eating and drinking and full of energy! really bizarre but i'm glad she's doing better. she wasn't looking so great before.

i stopped giving her the CBD oil in case that was causing some digestive upset, if I need to use CBD in the future i'll move to the ear lotion kind.

yrzgry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
wanted to mention that they think the spaying just hit her really hard as she's almost 5 years old and had a cystic ovary. just adopted her in october and she was in bad shape, but so glad she's spayed now, she was miserable before.